Hourglass District

sunshine

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

As if anyone would ever walk along Curry Ford anyway.

Odd how some people love the idea of choking thoroughfares and snarling vehicular traffic just to accommodate a couple of dozen bicyclists per day. Probably for similar self image related reasons as those who think Edgewater Dr is the epitome of urban hipness every other part of town should strive to be like. 

I'm not sure what this even means?  There's numerous restaurants and bars that are lovely to go to and it would be great to do so without driving.  Lots of my friends have moved into this area because its become the best combination of "affordable/close to DT/has stuff".

21 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Well, I'm one of those people and I welcomed the Dollar Tree, "dumpy chain" though it might be. I go there weekly. Gauche of a thing as that is to admit. 

Mecato sounds like it might have something of interest for me and nothing wrong with an auto parts store. I'll probably shop there occasionally. 

As for trendy Edgewater Dr, it doesn't impress me or most regular, non-hipster folks who don't need to feel validated by which kind of business establishments are near their neighborhoods. 

As if anyone would ever walk along Curry Ford anyway.

Odd how some people love the idea of choking thoroughfares and snarling vehicular traffic just to accommodate a couple of dozen bicyclists per day. Probably for similar self image related reasons as those who think Edgewater Dr is the epitome of urban hipness every other part of town should strive to be like. 

I personally walk there all the time and my main gripe with the corridor right now is its an arterial to nowhere.   All that traffic fans out to Bumby Crystal Lake Primrose and to a lesser extent, Briarcliff.  All of which are neighborhood roads and people drive on them like they're arterials.  The corridor should be tightened to discourage people from exceeding the 35mph speed limit hence increasing travel time and encouraging drivers to seek alternative routes. 

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm not sure what this even means?  There's numerous restaurants and bars that are lovely to go to and it would be great to do so without drivingLots of my friends have moved into this area because its become the best combination of "affordable/close to DT/has stuff".

But how many people are you talking about? Thousands? Hundreds?

Dozens? 

A few?  

So the question becomes "Do we make thousands of vehicular commuters suffer and back up traffic solely for the enjoyment and convenience of a comparatively small number of restaurant/ bar patrons?" 

I just don't think that would go over very well. 

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I personally walk there all the time and my main gripe with the corridor right now is its an arterial to nowhere.   All that traffic fans out to Bumby Crystal Lake Primrose and to a lesser extent, Briarcliff.  All of which are neighborhood roads and people drive on them like they're arterials.  The corridor should be tightened to discourage people from exceeding the 35mph speed limit hence increasing travel time and encouraging drivers to seek alternative routes. 

So, I'm confused here.... you are against drivers using the surrounding residential neighborhood streets as pass through routes, but you also want them to find alternative routes.

Which routes would those be? There are nothing but residential neighborhood streets surrounding CFR all the way up to the 408 and down to Michigan, which narrows to two lanes at Bumby, then curves north to become Crystal Lake. 

Wouldn't that necessitate the use of those very same neighborhood streets as pass through routes to get to whichever neighborhood street would become alternative routes? 

I believe this falls under the heading of "wanting to have one's cake and eat it too".  ;)

I think that in the case of Curry Ford Road, it's just necessary for us to accept the reality that, in a metro the size of Orlando, there have to be wide traffic corridors for people who drive cars (all of us) to get around.  

And for the record, as a 20+ year Hourglass resident, I walk around there all the time too. I've never found the car traffic on CFR to be a hindrance because if I have to cross, I patiently wait until there's nothing coming in either direction before stepping into the roadway. Been crossing highways that way my entire life. At 66 y/o and having never been hit by a car, it seems to have worked pretty well for me.  

On 11/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, JFW657 said:

But how many people are you talking about? Thousands? Hundreds?

Dozens? 

A few?  

So the question becomes "Do we make thousands of vehicular commuters suffer and back up traffic solely for the enjoyment and convenience of a comparatively small number of restaurant/ bar patrons?" 

I just don't think that would go over very well. 

Yes.  If you choose to live as part of the sprawl, then you lose convenience.

• Like 2

Demographics, lifestyle, seasons change. "Compare" to indy circuit Corrine.  If you want a said "sands of time",  so be it!? Build your bulb outs and decorative lighting and diet and greenery. Until then, it's 50mph flying past the dollar general and fresh dollar tree. Boy, oh, boy. Neat folks over yonder love driving ratty elantras. LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

Demographics, lifestyle, seasons change. "Compare" to indy circuit Corrine.  If you want a said "sands of time",  so be it!? Build your bulb outs and decorative lighting and diet and greenery. Until then, it's 50mph flying past the dollar general and fresh dollar tree. Boy, oh, boy. Neat folks over yonder love driving ratty elantras. LOL

Not sure what that all means, but interesting nonetheless. 

On 11/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, JFW657 said:

Which routes would those be? There are nothing but residential neighborhood streets surrounding CFR all the way up to the 408 and down to Michigan, which narrows to two lanes at Bumby, then curves north to become Crystal Lake. 

Conway.  The road built for that sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

CFR =  Conway =  

:dontknow:   

My post was referring to Crystal Lake, Bumby, Primrose and Briarcliff/FernCreek.  They all run parallel to Conway.  The EW route they should be taking once going up Conway is 408.  That's an arterial to a highway.  Curry Ford should not be the alternative for the people who don't like tolls.

Its clear from their widths, Bumby and Crystal Lake is intended to take you to 408 from the north, and Conway takes you to 408 from the South.   Bumby, Primrose, and Crystal Lake South of 408 are not designed to be cut-throughs.  The only reason why people feel comfortable doing that is because they can get to Curry Ford and then reach nearly highway speed going east to Conway and 436.

Quote from the actual study referring to this very corridor.

image.thumb.png.43221534e0a0778b59713e3a09fbc327.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 3

My post was referring to Crystal Lake, Bumby, Primrose and Briarcliff/FernCreek.  They all run parallel to Conway.  The EW route they should be taking once going up Conway is 408.  That's an arterial to a highway.  Curry Ford should not be the alternative for the people who don't like tolls.

Its clear from their widths, Bumby and Crystal Lake is intended to take you to 408 from the north, and Conway takes you to 408 from the South.   Bumby, Primrose, and Crystal Lake South of 408 are not designed to be cut-throughs.  The only reason why people feel comfortable doing that is because they can get to Curry Ford and then reach nearly highway speed going east to Conway and 436.

Quote from the actual study referring to this very corridor.

image.thumb.png.43221534e0a0778b59713e3a09fbc327.png

Well, allow me to ask for some clarification here before we spend a lot of time debating this.... how much of CFR are we talking about narrowing and slowing down?

Just the section between Bumby and Crystal Lake, or all the way to Conway or even beyond? 

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, allow me to ask for some clarification here before we spend a lot of time debating this.... how much of CFR are we talking about narrowing and slowing down?

Just the section between Bumby and Crystal Lake, or all the way to Conway or even beyond? 

The temporary lane reduction from several years ago included only the area between Bumby and Crystal Lake. But the reaction was overwhelmingly negative from what I can recall, so I don’t that happening in the foreseeable future.  It’s a shame, too, because I think it could have been a positive catalyst for that part of town. 

6 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

The temporary lane reduction from several years ago included only the area between Bumby and Crystal Lake. But the reaction was overwhelmingly negative from what I can recall, so I don’t that happening in the foreseeable future.  It’s a shame, too, because I think it could have been a positive catalyst for that part of town. 

If it was only ever intended to involve that small stretch through the Hourglass section, aka Curry Ford West, I could probably live with it. 

Any farther east on CFR and I think we're getting into gridlock promotion. 

29 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Personally Curry Ford or Conway Gardens seemed like a fair place to stop.  Ideally Conway, but I can understand why that would be untenable.

16 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

That was in part that the signal timing wasn't changed until 3 or 4 days after the study started apparently.  By then the City was already throwing people under the bus over it.

I've heard people tell me the exact opposite btw, that they wished the homes along Crystal Lake and Bumby were all leveled so those roads could be 4 lanes wide.  I just feel like that would just make more of the same problem we already have.

Personally Curry Ford or Conway Gardens seemed like a fair place to stop.  Ideally Conway, but I can understand why that would be untenable.

That was in part that the signal timing wasn't changed until 3 or 4 days after the study started apparently.  By then the City was already throwing people under the bus over it.

Conway Gardens would be too far IMHO, and Conway out of the question.

A couple of posts back, I had sort of made a conciliatory comment that I could be OK with Bumby to Crystal Lake. But after thinking about the traffic tie ups such a bottleneck could create every morning and evening during rush hour, I think I'll walk that back.

I can easily see westbound CFR traffic backed up from Crystal Lake to Conway and eastbound from Bumby back to and beyond where CFR meets Fern Creek/Briercliff.  

Believe it or not, that two lane brick stretch of CFR can already be difficult to get onto from a side street occasionally, as a seemingly endless line of cars keeps coming and coming.  

I've heard people tell me the exact opposite btw, that they wished the homes along Crystal Lake and Bumby were all leveled so those roads could be 4 lanes wide.  I just feel like that would just make more of the same problem we already have.

Sheer insanity doesn't do that notion justice. 

Wanting to destroy old neighborhoods with more four lane highways is beyond bone headed.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...