Hourglass District

sunshine

3 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Saw a few comments on NextDoor that the former Walgreens will become a Dollar Tree... someone supposedly saw a permit on the door. :dontknow:

Yes, one of the new tenants told me the landlord had announced Dollar Tree. Also new to that center, Uncommon Catering is scheduled to open for lunch service in the next 30 days (Gabriel Subs spot) and Papa Llama is in process of buildout in the King's Pizza spot. No word on any interest in Sun Coast Brewing spot yet. There is also talk of "improvements" to the alley way between the buildings- making it event driven and realign the entrance/ exit to make each one way.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Yes, one of the new tenants told me the landlord had announced Dollar Tree. Also new to that center, Uncommon Catering is scheduled to open for lunch service in the next 30 days (Gabriel Subs spot) and Papa Llama is in process of buildout in the King's Pizza spot. No word on any interest in Sun Coast Brewing spot yet. There is also talk of "improvements" to the alley way between the buildings- making it event driven and realign the entrance/ exit to make each one way.

I mentioned a while back during the Curry Ford study that the landlord had shared with myself and Patty the renderings for the alley.  (Dinning spots and awning over the alley as well as improvements over La Fiesta's outdoor dinning)  Its gonna look great!

Edited by codypet

9 minutes ago, codypet said:

I mentioned a while back during the Curry Ford study that the landlord had shared with myself and Patty the renderings for the alley.  (Dinning spots and awning over the alley as well as improvements over La Fiesta's outdoor dinning)  Its gonna look great!

Cool... I didn't get to see the drawing. I assume they will do something about that ugly utility pole in the middle of it...?

17 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Cool... I didn't get to see the drawing. I assume they will do something about that ugly utility pole in the middle of it...?

I'm wondering if they plan to go all the way across between the two buildings or just use the left side.

wdalley.png

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall seeing delivery trucks using the right side.

Plus, there's and a/c compressor back there, which I don't know makes a difference, but the pole and utility lines seem like something that might be too much of an issue.

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm wondering if they plan to go all the way across between the two buildings or just use the left side.

wdalley.png

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall seeing delivery trucks using the right side.

Plus, there's and a/c compressor back there, which I don't know makes a difference, but the pole and utility lines seem like something that might be too much of an issue.

What you said makes sense, but I defer to Cody to provide useful insight as I am only passing  along rumor and conjecture. 

IIRC it didn't go all the way across, and I don't remember seeing a power pole there but then again renderings don't usually show power poles.  Someone in my neighborhood mentioned to me Family Dollar is closing?  That's the first I'm hearing of this, but it would make sense if what we were saying about Dollar Tree is true.   They're the same company.

11 hours ago, codypet said:

IIRC it didn't go all the way across, and I don't remember seeing a power pole there but then again renderings don't usually show power poles.  Someone in my neighborhood mentioned to me Family Dollar is closing?  That's the first I'm hearing of this, but it would make sense if what we were saying about Dollar Tree is true.   They're the same company.

Same company, but different merchandise.

Might be kinda cool if they put both stores under one roof, but separated. 

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Same company, but different merchandise.

Might be kinda cool if they put both stores under one roof, but separated. 

Dollar Tree started closing Family Dollars after buying them and seems to be moving ahead on its own expansion:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-goods/2019/3/7/18254908/dollar-tree-family-dollar-stores-closing

From Vox

• 4 weeks later...

Word on the street is that the property owner (who owns both plazas) is taking down the large trees to create "more visibility" from Curry Ford.  In addition, they will be renovating both plazas, giving them a more cohesive look - and have referenced the look of the  Foxtaile/Hour Glass Social House down the street.  In the smaller plaza, Family Dollar is closing to make way for the Dollar Tree in the former Walgreens.

Maybe I’m the minority opinion on this but that’s the opposite approach from the one I take.

I’ve lived downtown most of my adult life but I’ve never had any desire to live west of Rosalind (one exception: when they floated the idea of making apartments of the Angebilt). The reason: there’s hardly any trees over there.

Perhaps even closer to the topic, as shopping centers go, I was a big fan of Winter Garden Regional because they kept  the trees and built the plaza of bricks and wood and shopped in that Publix several times.

When Publix decided on a bigger store across Highway 50, I was appalled by the treeless asphalt and concrete monstrosity they moved to. I wanted nothing to do with it and haven’t yet gone into that Publix.

Trees make welcoming spaces people want to visit even for something as mundane as a strip center. They also help to reduce the temperature and keep the air cleaner in urban areas. Not coincidentally, they also raise property values.

It’s the height (ahem) of short-term mentality to take trees out of the equation.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Maybe I’m the minority opinion on this but that’s the opposite approach from the one I take.

I’ve lived downtown most of my adult life but I’ve never had any desire to live west of Rosalind (one exception: when they floated the idea of making apartments of the Angebilt). The reason: there’s hardly any trees over there.

Perhaps even closer to the topic, as shopping centers go, I was a big fan of Winter Garden Regional because they kept  the trees and built the plaza of bricks and wood and shopped in that Publix several times.

When Publix decided on a bigger store across Highway 50, I was appalled by the treeless asphalt and concrete monstrosity they moved to. I wanted nothing to do with it and haven’t yet gone into that Publix.

Trees make welcoming spaces people want to visit even for something as mundane as a strip center. They also help to reduce the temperature and keep the air cleaner in urban areas. Not coincidentally, they also raise property values.

It’s the height ahem) of short-term mentality to take trees out of the equation.

You must have hated when they were in Tri-City Center.

image.thumb.png.4fcc8fd345d6ad77a6bd213f1c6a6903.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I can tell you from my experience in real estate, sign visibility is among THE most important things for property value and to secure good rents. Looking at Street View, its easy to see their problem:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.524124,-81.345111,3a,75y,161.36h,66.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1symsqTxY22t_nLHl8vxsswg!2e0!5s20190501T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Whats the red sign behind the tree say? In reality, it makes several of the signs harder to read. And they've clearly been trying to trim the tree for some time to avoid it covering the signs as much as possible, and that hasn't worked. If they wanted to keep those stores leased, they probably had little choice. Also, they didn't look that healthy, because those oak  trees tend to have large root systems and the parking lots are just not conducive to it at all when they get too big:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5237116,-81.3446793,3a,25.4y,79.84h,90.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1swr07wK89zJantQUEruyHsQ!2e0!5s20190501T000000!7i16384!8i8192