Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I liken the cheesy naming of some of these buildings to the naming of subdivisions or developments. It's sort of a marketing thing. The name of the building is supposed to make you feel a certain way, I suppose.

Just like "Princeton Hills" in Brentwood is supposed to have the aura of a prestigious, elite enclave, I suppose "Velocity" is supposed to have the aura of excitement and living in an active, ever-changing neighborhood.

• Like 1

Apparently some announcement is coming this week for residential in the Gulch. No details given but "big and shiny" are words thrown out there. I'm wondering if it's a new project or maybe that The Laurel is converting to condos.

Did we ever find out what the big announcement was? Or was it really just the Twelve Twelve name?

From the Tennessean;

HCA wants portion of North Gulch site that’s closer to I-40

The site hospital chain HCA Holdings Inc. is negotiat­ing to buy in the North Gulch to build headquarters for two subsidiaries is the part of the overall 32 acres of property west of 11th Avenue North and closer to Interstate 40.

That 10.8-acre site includes the former location of Porter Paint that was demolished along with other buildings, said Jeff Haynes, managing partner with Boyle Nashville LLC. That portion includes all of the land west of 11th North, south of Jo Johnston Avenue, north of Charlotte Avenue and east of I-40.

Meanwhile, Kiser Vogrin Design of Franklin continues work on a master plan for the 32-acre, mixed-use devel­opment with more details expected in the next 45 days, Haynes said. Other uses planned include more offices, retail and restaurants, a hotel and multifamily residential.

Is there anything to read in this? Would the height restrictions be less onerous or are we still looking at several 7 to 9 story buildings?

From the Tennessean this am;

Investment group gets Broadway land

By Getahn Ward

A local investment group has purchased a two-tenths of an acre par­cel at 1200 Broadway be­tween The Tennessean and Nelson Madza dealer­ship for $1 million.

Eagle Eye LLC bought the tract from Pravin and Smita Patel, who paid $340,000 for it just about a decade ago, according to the Davidson County Register of Deeds.

Byron M. Gill, an attor­ney for Eagle Eye, de­clined to comment on plans by the investment group, which uses 822 S. Cumberland St., Leba­non, as its address.

A listing at LoopNet .com, however, suggests that Metro approved a proposed 5,400-square­foot retail building for the site with 2,700 square feet of first floor restau­rant space and 2,700 square feet of addi­tional restaurant or of­fice space on the second floor. In that listing, the proposed building was of­fered for $1.6 million.

The location as best I can determine;

12ampBroad_zps56973af1.jpg

A short walk from the 12/12 and the rest of the Gulch. Maybe the Gulch vibe will spill over more into this part of town.

From the Tennessean this am;

The location as best I can determine;

12ampBroad_zps56973af1.jpg

A short walk from the 12/12 and the rest of the Gulch. Maybe the Gulch vibe will spill over more into this part of town.

This is interesting to me. I've long wondered what factors of zoning, investments, profit margins and other business and planning intricacies beyond my grasp, played into the construction of increasingly massive urban buildings that we see nowadays versus the more modest, fine-grained, shotgun style urban buildings from the 19th century. A little two story commercial building on a third of a block seems almost like an anachronism. 

I would love to see more developments like this, especially on fringe/in between places downtown and in the central city to increase density and walk-ability. Not every new development need be a blockbuster, literally and figuratively. 

• Like 1

Is there any reason to believe that Sheet Music is going to start?

It all comes down to a tenant. If Tony gets one of the three he is in negotiations with, then it could be a reality sooner rather than later, He wants to make sure the project will be shovel ready by having all the peices in place including removal of the billboard on the property. It is not for sure. Nothing is these days. The bottom could drop out next week and all the projects in the works could crumble like a house of cards.

• Like 1

I believe we will get something impressive sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to Tony G's "Sheet Music." That will be the first to break 500 feet of actual occupiable floors, not just high spires on a shorter building. That's been an impediment since the L&C broke the 300 & 400 feet record in 1957.

Yep Davy, you are right. At 492 feet, the 5/3 bank tower could have added a few more floors like in the original 35 story rendering. The same hold true had they built NCC2 first at 40 stories and 630 feet.

I do believe there is some unknown reason that no-one besides Tony Giarratana actually tried to get something tall out of the ground.

I posted a while back that the guy taking core samples at 11th and Pine (triangle lot behind Station Inn & 404 Kitchen) told me there were plans to build a hotel.  I was able to confirm that today with someone who works for the company that has the contract to build the hotel.  He said it's going to be 12 stories and they are looking at an August start date.  This project is going to go a long way in helping that portion of The Gulch look complete.

• Like 3

I posted a while back that the guy taking core samples at 11th and Pine (triangle lot behind Station Inn & 404 Kitchen) told me there were plans to build a hotel.  I was able to confirm that today with someone who works for the company that has the contract to build the hotel.  He said it's going to be 12 stories and they are looking at an August start date.  This project is going to go a long way in helping that portion of The Gulch look complete.

I'm disappointed.  That original proposal for the very uniquely designed three story retail structure at that corner was one of my favorite proposals in the city.  It was perfectly sized, hugged the street just right, provided badly needed retail, and just screamed "Gulch" in terms of it's contemporary design.  Now though, instead, I'm afraid that we're probably going to end up with yet another cheaply designed chain hotel that doesn't really provide any of the amenities badly needed by the actual residents of The Gulch.  Another great opportunity on a prime piece of land squandered by a mundane hotel development. 

Gulch11Pine_zps56f51f82.jpg

:(

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I'm disappointed. That original proposal for the very uniquely designed three story retail structure at that corner was one of my favorite proposals in the city. It was perfectly sized, hugged the street just right, provided badly needed retail, and just screamed "Gulch" in terms of it's contemporary design. Now though, instead, I'm afraid that we're probably going to end up with yet another cheaply designed chain hotel that doesn't really provide any of the amenities badly needed by the actual residents of The Gulch. Another great opportunity on a prime piece of land squandered by a mundane hotel development.

Gulch11Pine_zps56f51f82.jpg

:(

+1

I think the pedestrian bridge is probably more about making these sites viable hotel contenders for the MCC, which in itself wouldn't bother me if they'd throw us a bone retail wise but instead we're getting a Loft.