Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Myers Flooring buys-out one of their competitors, Nashville Carpet Center, leaving the appearance that the building and land at 515 Fourth Avenue South (just a block south of Omni Hotel and right next to the block that would house the Marriott Tri-Brand, The Joseph, and Holiday Inn) is going to open up for development.  This story is behind the paywall at NBJ.  If anyone can access and share more info, it would be greatly appreciated. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/prime-sobro-land-up-for-grabs-after-myers-flooring.html

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.51.17 AM.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

A Delaware-based entity (Ranger LLC) owns the property Nashville Carpet Center sits on... bought for $7.5M last year. NCC is merging with Myers. Myers sold 2/3 of its property to Travis Kelty for $5.3M, and they still own 1/3 of the property. Their present building straddles the delineation between what they sold and what they kept.  It will be demolished. The combined company will be moving to property on Sidco Drive.  Ranger is putting the NCC property on the market... price not yet disclosed.  The firm is in discussions with developers.

Details finally released for The Bobby Hotel in the 9-story former Wells Fargo/Wachovia Bank building at 230 Fourth Avenue North.  Will be operated by the same firm overseeing the new Westin.  Cost to buy the building was $6.3 million in 2013, and the retrofit is budgeted for $25.9 million.  There will be 144 rooms, and the remodeling will begin in 60 days. They are aiming for a 4+ star rating.  There will be a restaurant/bar and a coffee shop on the first floor, and outdoor pool/guest amenities on the roof. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/westin-developer-lands-money-for-high-end-boutique.html

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/02/29/restaurant-coffeeshop-part-boutique-hotel-project/81112502/

The Bobby Hotel.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Details finally released for The Bobby Hotel in the 9-story former Wells Fargo/Wachovia Bank building at 230 Fourth Avenue North.  Will be operated by the same firm overseeing the new Westin.  Cost to buy the building was $6.3 million in 2013, and the retrofit is budgeted for $25.9 million.  There will be 144 rooms, and the remodeling will begin in 60 days. They are aiming for a 4+ star rating.  There will be a restaurant/bar and a coffee shop on the first floor, and outdoor pool/guest amenities on the roof. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/westin-developer-lands-money-for-high-end-boutique.html

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/02/29/restaurant-coffeeshop-part-boutique-hotel-project/81112502/

The Bobby Hotel.jpg

Glad to see this finally rehabbed. Now, if the people doing the Fairlane across the street in the 12 story travertine building could get things going, this whole two block area can get revitalized by activating the street with more hotel guests.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Finally I get to see "my" dream transformed from a pipe.
(ricky B)

• Like 1

Agreed.  This is about the best outcome we can possibly hope for, I think.  It's clear to me now that the Utopia team is not just saying the right things in order to use it as leverage to take the easy & cheap way out, like some developers might.  They very obviously have a passion for restoring historic structures, and it seems they are doing all they can to retain whatever they can while also being mindful of safety issues.

• Like 4

Four story mixed-use building for 1821 Jefferson Street gets approval, From Nashville Post:

Titus Young Real Estate is moving forward with its mixed-use four-story building to be located at 1821 Jefferson St. in North Nashville. The building will include 18 apartments and 3,000 square feet of ground-level retail space (a Bongo Java café and a Smoothie King will be included). The Carter Group is serving as general contractor, with the permit valued at $2.5 million. D.J. Wootson oversees Titus Young Real Estate.

1821_Jefferson.56d0c21cad1bb.jpg

Nice we spent all this time and money to save a former whore house where young women sold their bodies for sex and money, but the city ignores more deserving properties like The United Methodist Publishing campus including the Keeble Building. I think we as a city have our priorities really screwed up.

Would hope the price paid for this building is indicative of the new owner's desire to renovate and not demolish. New owner HRI is known for adaptive reuse. The land is worth a lot, and I'm not sure it's the same size even as the First Baptist site sold to the Embassy Suites developers, but the prices are about the same.  

James Robertson Hotel...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/01/historic-james-robertson-apartments-building-sold-182-million-nashville/81164958/

NAS-jamesrobertson

• Like 2

The repainting of Renaissance Hotel to resume shortly.  Had been halted several months ago due to cold temperatures.  From WW at the Nashville Post this afternoon:

"Despite an expected winter weather-related delay, Renaissance Nashville Hotel officials are still targeting a summer completion date for the approximately $2 million exterior upgrade that is expected to dramatically alter the modernist downtown tower. Once finished, the tower will feature a charcoal and white color scheme. In addition, the red elements currently seen within the windows will be painted a neutral color.

“It’s been at least late November since visible painting was done due to temperature constraints,” said Kevin Lewis, the Renaissance Nashville Hotel director of engineering who is overseeing the upgrade. “We can’t apply the paint in temperatures below 50 degrees.” Work, which started in September, is expected to resume this month, Lewis said. Lewis said the design concept was formulated in house. Indianapolis-based Renovia is handling the work. The exterior facelift follows a room renovation that was completed in February 2015. A corridor renovation was finished this past December and January."

• Like 1

It's a real reflection on the crappy aesthetics of our time that updating a building's exterior means painting it two shades of gray and a neutral color.  Personally I think it looked much better before, although the red was a bit faded, at least the stained concrete had some character.  

• Like 1

On March 1, 2016 at 3:31 PM, BnaBreaker said:

You say that as if the city's ultimate goal is the restoration of the legacy of the building's former employees, and not the restoration of the building itself.  If we were going to determine whether a historic structure deserved to be saved or not based on whether or not there were ever any unsavory activities going on inside it at any point in it's history, then I'm guessing there wouldn't be a whole lot of historic structures left in this country.  

BNA missies my point entirely. We are saving one little 3 story whore house building that was only used for prostitution, yet we allow an entire city block of vintage buildings and architecture to be destroyed by more blatant Contemporary Modernism like the JW Marriott Hotel complex that is not a sure thing yet. We allowed the Vauxhall Building on Broadway be demolished for a modernist Federal Courthouse Building which although is an example of brutalist minimalism and needs to be recognized for what it is, it does not make for any excuse to tear down a European Classical piece like Vauxhall. 

We as a city need to pick and choose wisely. This was a poor choice to save compared to the UMPH campus which the city did nothing to save. Mayor Barry  lost my vote for the next election.

16 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Thank you! This has been driving me nuts. I can't wait to see the finished product.

An employee told me this is a two year project at minimum.

On March 1, 2016 at 4:41 PM, CenterHill said:

:blink:     The comment about the use of the buildings sounds like urban renewal.     The two historical buildings in this project - the Utopia Hotel and the Climax Saloon - are being preserved precisely because of their architectural character and the role these buildings played in Nashville's history.   One may not approve of what Fourth Ave. once was, but you can't overlook that the street and what remains of these old buildings is a part of the city's DNA.      

I can appreciate your point, but it seems the city only saves what is deemed politically correct at the time. The UMPH campus served people around the world with it's purpose and mission. The Climax Saloon was for prostitution and illegal alcohol only and needs to be torn down. Years ago the city rid itself of 50+ houses of prostitution around the city and no-one said anything.

• Like 1