Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I have to say that although I still think this will be impressive, at least from afar, when completed, I too am growing less and less impressed with this project by the day.  I quite like the overall concept, but like you, I just feel like it is being really half-assed.  For some reason (perhaps given the high price,) I thought these would be made of some sort of durable composite material and lit from within.  I really didn't expect these to literally be just a bunch of untreated wooden poles.  I mean, nothing wrong with wood, but in this case it just looks so unrefined, like they just picked them up from the lumber mill, slapped a coat of paint on them that they bought from Lowe's, and shoved them into the ground.  I mean, did they think this through at all?  They're going to have to repaint this thing every other year, not to mention the weathering and warping that might occur!

But they're supposed to represent Native American tribes, ergo they must be all natural, organic, no-gluten, conflict-free poles.

The more I roll it around in my head, the more I honestly think that the whole representing tribes angle is just a way to get away with doing some BS work. After all, what politician is going to criticize an homage to Tennessee's Indian tribes?

• Like 4

But they're supposed to represent Native American tribes, ergo they must be all natural, organic, no-gluten, conflict-free poles.

The more I roll it around in my head, the more I honestly think that the whole representing tribes angle is just a way to get away with doing some BS work. After all, what politician is going to criticize an homage to Tennessee's Indian tribes?

Thanks, for a fresh and sobering aspect on this, as the choice does gently cast question on at least one underlying criterion on the first choice of branding for that circle: price.  Claims for and counter-claims questioning the selection procedure All kinds of rationale can make Mt. Washington out of a simple crawdad chimney, but it does suggest that these elements may not be as transparent at supposed, and that they sometimes constitute crafty machinations of justification and evaluation. Just personal thoughts, though, that can never necessarily be substantiated.  What we do know is that the core drilling equipment now on site does cost pretty.

Great point of thought, for a man that probably just got the train into the workplace, two hours ago. -==-

A water feature would have been nice, but was ruled out from the start as there is no water line to the roundabout and it was felt it would be prohibitive.

There is a 30" MWS main through the west side of the roundabout (under the circulatory roadway) and a 24" main through the south, both about 5-10 feet from the center island at their respective closest points. Getting service would have been trivial compared to the utility work required for the rest of the project.

Fountains and roundabouts are always a winning combination, but the big drawback is that it attracts pedestrian activity to the center island, which is a giant no-no in modern roundabout design.

Of course now I would imagine we'll have drunk guys staging impromptu climbing contests à la the Outdoor Games, or bridal parties or engaged couples taking those photos where they hide behind the poles and poke their heads out playfully at each other like you see all the time on Facebook nowadays, so I'm not sure this is any better in terms of safety.

• Like 2

Finally some news!  I'm hearing 3 stories from some of my friend who work in the building...

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/10/1/permit_filed_to_begin_adding_extra_floors_to_cummins_station

As Soon as I found it this morning I let the Folks at the Post know. According to the Post, it has not been decided but the permit says floors, plural.

I also have some other stuff I am waiting to share with everyone as soon as they are able to get it in story format. Either way, I will share all Saturday at the meet.

Finally some news!  I'm hearing 3 stories from some of my friend who work in the building...

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/10/1/permit_filed_to_begin_adding_extra_floors_to_cummins_station

We already hear enough construction noise in this building... I guess a bit more won't be that much more distracting. :rolleyes:

As Soon as I found it this morning I let the Folks at the Post know. According to the Post, it has not been decided but the permit says floors, plural.

I also have some other stuff I am waiting to share with everyone as soon as they are able to get it in story format. Either way, I will share all Saturday at the meet.

I do hope that any new addition (upward) will blend with the existing structure... talk about historic preservation, huh? 

I do hope that any new addition (upward) will blend with the existing structure... talk about historic preservation, huh? 

I got the impression from the owner that it will be complimentary, but won't be so similar as to blend in seamlessly.

Really charged up abut these parcels being developed with substantial structures…could be tremendous additions to the riverfront view of downtown.

• Like 2