Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I’m in Downtown! The trip into the city was underwhelming from the eastern side taking I-40. As for Downtown, I’ve heard a lot about it. Some say it’s 20 years behind Charlotte and some say it’s not dense and more touristy then Buisness focused. As for my short time so far, I’d partially agree to both of those statements. Nashville isn’t sprawling, But it’s not dense by any means. It’s not with Charlotte, I mean that in the nicest way possible. Nashville has loads of potiential. My favorite building so far is the JW Marriot, As for the other buildings they seem to be par with other cities similarly sized. Broadway is interesting, Not as big and diverse as I imagined, But it’s nice for tourists. I will say it wasn’t lively when I arrived, But it must be due to the fact that it’s a Sunday. I will also add the amount of buildings Nashville has suprised me, It’s more then I thought. Nashville seems like a Lovley mid-sized city and in recent projections, It seems like the population boom is slowing. That’s good news, Wish I could say the same for Charlotte so I wouldn’t be paying the amount I am in rent. Look forward to updating and discussing again soon!

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 4

^^Yes...arriving on a Sunday morning / midday, you won't get the full effect of downtown.  It will pick up as the day goes on...into evening.  Too bad you aren't here on a day the Preds / Titans are playing...concert at Bridgestone / Ascend Amp...CMA Music Festival etc.  

However...if you're staying through the 4th of July...you'll see an incredible event downtown that will features bands and over 100,000 people.

Downtown isn't quite what it will be in 3-5 years with the addition of 5th & Broadway (tons of retail and restaurants and the National Museum of African American Music) and Nashville Yards (AEG entertainment district, retail, movie theater, etc).

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

I’m in Downtown! The trip into the city was underwhelming from the eastern side taking I-40. As for Downtown, I’ve heard a lot about it. Some say it’s 20 years behind Charlotte and some say it’s not dense and more touristy then Buisness focused. As for my short time so far, I’d partially agree to both of those statements. Nashville isn’t sprawling, But it’s not dense by any means. It’s not with Charlotte, I mean that in the nicest way possible. Nashville has loads of potiential. My favorite building so far is the JW Marriot, As for the other buildings they seem to be par with other cities similarly sized. Broadway is interesting, Not as big and diverse as I imagined, But it’s nice for tourists. I will say it wasn’t lively when I arrived, But it must be due to the fact that it’s a Sunday. I will also add the amount of buildings Nashville has suprised me, It’s more then I thought. Nashville seems like a Lovley mid-sized city and in recent projections, It seems like the population boom is slowing. That’s good news, Wish I could say the same for Charlotte so I wouldn’t be paying the amount I am in rent. Look forward to updating and discussing again soon!

Very different from Charlotte. Never felt like I wanted to spend much extra time in downtown Charlotte. Make sure you check out Nashville's restaurant scene... you'll find that to be second to none among peer cities. 

Re: the diversity of Nashville. It gets knocked sometimes as its African American population is little more than half of Charlotte's, but it does have a lot of Middle Easterners and South/Central Americans. Also, I have noticed the population booms in each city are being fed by vastly different sections of the country. Northeasterners are pouring into Charlotte, whereas Midwesterners & West Coasters are pouring into Nashville. 

The population boom itself is not slowing, but there was a pullback y-o-y from '16 to '17 in Davidson County b/c the housing supply was not keeping up with the growth. So rent rose just like in Charlotte; and lots of people (especially with kids) moved to the outer ring. That's where the boom is continuing.  There are a lot of infill residential buildings going up in Davidson County now and things are already picking back up. 

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

20 years behind?? Seriously? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but come on. 

A city that is 20 years behind doesn't win 1k+ job relocations, MLS teams, international soccer games, and top 5 in every list dealing with places to live, eat, work, visit and play. 

It seems like a lot of people in Charlotte have nothing nice to say about any other city that's not Charlotte.

I was just in Charlotte last month and enjoyed my trip. Very nice city and is doing a lot of things right. But if you want density, I would say Nashville'midtown is pretty dense. Didn't see anything like that in Charlotte. 

Nashville has its own issues but I think it's a far fetch to say we are 20 years behind. 

I guess the 30+ cranes doesn't mean anything if it's not building a shiny tall corporate building. 

Enjoy your stay! 

• Like 2

I thought everything I had to say was decently nice, People from Nashville itself agree with that it’s 20 years behind in some spectrums. Just some criticism, Next time I’ll try to make it more constructive, Sorry! 

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

I thought everything I had to say was decently nice, People from Nashville itself agree with that it’s 20 years behind in some spectrums. Just some criticism, Next time I’ll try to make it more constructive, Sorry! 

I would disagree that it's "20 years behind".  In many ways, I'd even say it's ahead of both Charlotte and Austin. Especially when you understand its appeal to so-called Millennials. As for the creative professions, Nashville punches way above its class. As for the corporate bigs, you'll see it dispersed more in Nashville, as it's not all concentrated downtown. Yes, tourists bring a lot of life to downtown. That's why you'll see people there well past midnight on a Sunday.  

I might decide to visit the more local areas as opposed to areas like Broadway, Where most tourists flock to. I believe I can find an area alike to Midtown in Charlotte as we have one too, So i might save that for another visit. I can’t tell you where I’m staying as I don’t even know yet, still browsing for a room. If I can’t find one I might have to leave for home. Thanks for feedback, Ngetaive and Positive alike! It helps me learn from my mistakes!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I might decide to visit the more local areas as opposed to areas like Broadway, Where most tourists flock to. I believe I can find an area alike to Midtown in Charlotte as we have one too, So i might save that for another visit. I can’t tell you where I’m staying as I don’t even know yet, still browsing for a room. If I can’t find one I might have to leave for home. Thanks for feedback, Ngetaive and Positive alike! It helps me learn from my mistakes!

Good luck finding a room downtown (that's within a decent price range)...especially with the 4th celebrations coming up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Can we not get into a fight? Charlotte is more dense than Nashville if that’s what you’re trying to prove. 

Nashville - 1,300 Per square mile

Charlotte -  2,457 per square mile

I believe you were trolling, but that's no reason for me to be rude. I'm sorry.

Edited by Flatrock
I was rude
  • Thanks 1

Actually, That would help Charlotte’s case. Nashville is a larger area with a lower population, and Charlotte is a smaller area with a higher population. Therefore, Nashville being a larger area with lower density, Contributes to it being sprawling, Which there’s nothing necessarily wrong with that. Now if I don’t have a reason to respond again I won’t. Sorry! 

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

Actually, That would help Charlotte’s case. Nashville is a larger area with a lower population, and Charlotte is a smaller area with a higher population. Therefore, Nashville being a larger area with lower density, Contributes to it being sprawling, Which there’s nothing necessarily wrong with that. Now if I don’t have a reason to respond again I won’t. Sorry! 

That's not really how that works, but ok. Enjoy your visit.

• Like 2