Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

i hope you are not serious.  multiply this by ten or twenty. Lets stop traffic.  Honk horns....  better yet close half the streets and lets just drink on the streets......(now that could make sense)

Nashville has carefully created some controls to create historic architectural continuity in the broadway district with building design guidelines.  Then if one is able to create buildings on wheels (creating free real-estate) that can be whatever.  Flatbed bars on wheels is not brilliant it should not be legal.  it is not cute.... it is dangerous to the broadway area long term vision.  It is this type of lack of respect for the historic charter of the area and buildings  that leads to cheapening the broadway brand and that leads to things like tearing down the trail west building

If your want to have a business catering to tourist on broadway rent a building. How would this be regulated.   I thought metro created laws in broadway area for no cruising to improve traffic.  This type of activity makes a mockery of the broadway district.

Edited by Nashvilletitans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I'm all for us promoting the "country" vibe downtown...but a tractor pulling a hay wagon is just too much for me. :wacko:

Keep them out of downtown or any urban area. Put them all at Opry Mills and I'm game to ride one for a couple of hours. 

• Like 1

My wife and I took one of the trolley tours a month or so ago on a Saturday afternoon. I was blown away by how many variations of things like this there are.  The Pedal Tavern was the first, but there are now at least a couple more pedal tavern-like business running. There are also now those wagons, glorified golf carts running around, horse carriages, school buses with tours, and limos with their roofs cut off.  It is definitely a tourist draw and it creates a party atmosphere, but it can't be good for non-tourism businesses and local residents.  On one hand, these things are creating the atmosphere that is driving tourism and much of our construction boom.  However, it also is detrimental to the aesthetics of lower Broadway. 

3 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

My wife and I took one of the trolley tours a month or so ago on a Saturday afternoon. I was blown away by how many variations of things like this there are.  The Pedal Tavern was the first, but there are now at least a couple more pedal tavern-like business running. There are also now those wagons, glorified golf carts running around, horse carriages, school buses with tours, and limos with their roofs cut off.  It is definitely a tourist draw and it creates a party atmosphere, but it can't be good for non-tourism businesses and local residents.  On one hand, these things are creating the atmosphere that is driving tourism and much of our construction boom.  However, it also is detrimental to the aesthetics of lower Broadway. 

I just don't want it perpetuating the "hayseed" thing.  Country music is SO far from hayseed these days (it's more like hip hop music today).  And Nashville is SO far from being hayseed.

Okay, I hate the HeeHaw vibe, but when we start talking about golf carts and whatnot being "detrimental to the aesthetics" of lower Broadway?  This isn't Franklin.  I want as much liveliness and fun downtown as possible, and if it isn't entirely tasteful, so much the better.  I love the golf carts, horses, richshaws, etc.  Just not the tractor pulling a haywagon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Okay, I hate the HeeHaw vibe, but when we start talking about golf carts and whatnot being "detrimental to the aesthetics" of lower Broadway?  This isn't Franklin.  I want as much liveliness and fun downtown as possible, and if it isn't entirely tasteful, so much the better.  I love the golf carts, horses, richshaws, etc.  Just not the tractor pulling a haywagon.

That's what I'm saying!

From someone who used lived on 2nd ave; the hillbilly tourists were exactly the reason why I moved to suburban Davidson county 10 years ago.....Now the city is letting them roam around on a wagon pulled by a tractor.  Incredible. 

• Like 1

I would love to see it all blocked off as a walking district with retractable barriers at 5th Ave and 1st Ave. Start with Friday-Sunday and special events expand from there  

I spoke at length with a cop that was on the committee to block the parking spots off to give the sidewalk more room and he said he has never seen such whining and hand wringing from the bar owners in his life. 

So I can't even imagine the hissy fit they would throw over closing it to traffic. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I think closing Broadway MIGHT be workable, but in my opinion, blocking the numbered avenues crossing B-way would be problematic!

Traffic would be much better if Broadway was closed (and leave the numbered streets open)

I really can't imagine how that would be any fun...I mean the appeal of hay rides in the countryside revolve primarily around the exposure to fresh air and nature...and of course the cider and donuts that often accompany...taking a hayride through an urban area is more or less just like riding an excruciatingly slow open-air bus.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

They could at least close Broadway at night...say 6pm.  Maybe keep 5th and 2nd Avenues open to form a "box" around the entertainment district...but you could still move freely around the "square" by going 2nd Ave...to Commerce...to 5th...to Demonbreun...to 2nd.  That would leave the major "honkytonk" chunk of Broadway open to pedestrians to stroll around.

• Like 2