Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

More from the NP today on the huge TPA project (400,000 s.f. with grocery) being planned for 2nd Avenue North and Taylor Street in G'town. Project will go before MPC next month (7/14). I think I've heard/read that there will be 6-story and 8-story segments. TPA aims for a mid-2017 start. 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20798901/real-estate-notes-atlanta-developer-eyes-germantown-project-with-hotel-grocery

• Like 1

Bother Standard and the Berger buildings should remain no matter what else is built in that area.  The Standard because of its history and style.  I remember when it was called the Tea House.  That ballroom that someone referred to in a previous post that is located on the rear of the Standard also served as a small theater for live plays.  It eventually became a small bar and social club for older gay men in Nashville.  There used to be a narrow wooden plank sidewalk between the Standard and the Sporting Goods store that provided somewhat of a secret passage way to the entry into the club.  If I recall it was called the Tea Room, not sure if that was the official name.

I'm not sure if the Berger building is historic or not but it has a charm and street presence that to me is hard to find among the older buildings in Nashville.  It seems to me it would be a great building to leave for potential retail that could benefit from the new development replacing the old convention center.  It could also make a nice art gallery.  The building also compliments the James Robertson building that will has been renovated.  I just don't want to see all of the older character stripped away.  I don't mind seeing the new mixed in with the old.  The old just needs to realize the new may tower over them....

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3

Updates on MetroCenter.

Candlewood Suites Hotel  (4 stories, 101 units), looking north from corner of French Landing Drive and Venture Circle:

Candlewood Suites, Metro Center, June, 2016.JPG

The Duke apartment complex (5 stories, 251 units). Looking west from intersection of Cumberland Bend and Great Circle Road:

The_Duke_1,_Metro_Center,_June,_2016.JPG

The Duke, looking north from intersection of Cumberland Bend and Great Circle Road:

The_Duke_2,_Metro_Center,_June,_2016.JPG

The Duke, looking south from corner of Vantage Way and Great Circle Road:

The_Duke_3,_Metro_Center,_June,_2016.JPG

The Duke, looking east from corner of Vantage Way and Great Circle Road:

The_Duke_4,_Metro_Center,_June,_2016.JPG

On 6/24/2016 at 11:22 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

Bother Standard and the Berger buildings should remain no matter what else is built in that area.  The Standard because of its history and style.  I remember when it was called the Tea House.  That ballroom that someone referred to in a previous post that is located on the rear of the Standard also served as a small theater for live plays.  It eventually became a small bar and social club for older gay men in Nashville.  There used to be a narrow wooden plank sidewalk between the Standard and the Sporting Goods store that provided somewhat of a secret passage way to the entry into the club.  If I recall it was called the Tea Room, not sure if that was the official name.

I'm not sure if the Berger building is historic or not but it has a charm and street presence that to me is hard to find among the older buildings in Nashville.  It seems to me it would be a great building to leave for potential retail that could benefit from the new development replacing the old convention center.  It could also make a nice art gallery.  The building also compliments the James Robertson building that will has been renovated.  I just don't want to see all of the older character stripped away.  I don't mind seeing the new mixed in with the old.  The old just needs to realize the new may tower over them....

In its gay bar days (1980-2005) the Standard/Savage House was called the Gaslight Lounge.  The last of the "downtown" gay bars. 

Closers, a new high-end sports bar is being built on 3rd Avenue North, about 3 blocks south of First Tennessee Ballpark.  The 8,500 sq. ft. venue (currently home to Melton and Sullivan bail bonds companies), will also serve all of the new apartment/condo complexes being built on three sides of the location, as well as the current ones in the immediate area.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20826944/highend-sports-bar-planned-for-ballpark-area

Looking south along Third Avenue North.  The red brick building will be home of Closers sports Bar.  It will include an extensive rooftop section.

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 2.21.28 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

carette-cafe.jpg 

There's still one piece of the CBD puzzle that I think the city is missing...and it's that with the buildings along 1st Ave that are all open to 2nd Ave...yet basically closed off to 1st Ave, we're still turning our back on the river.

Is there a way to make that stretch near Riverfront Park a more inviting day-to-day environment?  Can you imagine if we had a bunch of Paris-like cafes along the river that allowed people to sit and enjoy the river...have a nice meal and maybe get away from the honky tonks for just a minute or two?

Love it! Could not agree more!! We need more al fresco dining/drinking/hanging out  opportunities in general.  But the riverside is such an obviously good choice to focus....  

• Like 4

On 6/16/2016 at 7:46 PM, markhollin said:

773-seat, 22,500 sq. ft. Martin's B-B-Q is set to open in the former Rutledge nightclub building on 4th Avenue South on July 12th:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/06/16/massive-martins-bar-b-que-nears-opening-sobro/85841458/

Here is a pic of the new restaurant on 4th Avenue South (just to the south of the Bell Tower Events Center), and a schematic I found online:

Martin's_BBQ,_June,_2016.JPG

Martin's BBQ render.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Love it! Could not agree more!! We need more al fresco dining/drinking/hanging out  opportunities in general.  But the riverside is such an obviously good choice to focus....  

Yeah...I love those old buildings along 1st Ave...but the fact that they're only used on the 2nd Ave side (for the most part) is a travesty.  Can you imagine how vibrant the river side would be if those were all cafes?  That seriously would be a game changer, IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...I love those old buildings along 1st Ave...but the fact that they're only used on the 2nd Ave side (for the most part) is a travesty.  Can you imagine how vibrant the river side would be if those were all cafes?  That seriously would be a game changer, IMO.

It would be awesome for locals and visitors alike.  And as titanhog says, this could change the game and add dimensions further differentiating/enhancing Nashville. Who can we talk to to make this happen..?? :-) :-) Happy 4th to everyone.  Despite our many issues, our country is great - and I am so blessed to live in this great city and country.

• Like 4

I was in Cologne a few years ago and my hosts took us to an area along the Rhine that has al fresco dining.  I was struck by how much the brick warehouse type buildings on the river reminded me so much of First Avenue. From that perspective, sidewalk cafes along that stretch would work really well.  Maybe it's not feasible, but probably the reason it's not like that now is because the masses gravitate along Second and Broadway. 

• Like 2