Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Obvious mentions within of nine other properties in the works, but nothing about Nashville.

My apologies for not explaining earlier. I stumbled upon the renders at vize.com.

This site mentions Tuck Hinton Architects, which I consider a plus. However, this site also indicates this rendering came in 2014.

well some detail when into the rendering like if it was a hotel that was considered so is an actual proposal ? Where's the origin

I hate to be the one to say it, but this seems rather unlikely to me given the above and that there hasn't been more buzz about it. I think it's gorgeous, but the Gulch really needs a project with some height in that spot.

Longtime reader, first time poster.  I was compelled to post because of the mention (though now appears to be false hope) of the Edition brand.  I have visited the Edition South Beach and it is tremendous, I love that property and their style.  Bummer that it doesn't seem to be in the offing, but I'm encouraged that Bloom was even having conversations with a group like that.  

• Like 3

I live really close to the place referenced in the article above, and it's awesome.  It's a great place to kick off a night with a few drinks and some classic arcade games.  It's also a great place for lazy Sunday afternoons when all you went is some good beer, bar snacks, and air hockey.  And of course, if you're on the market, it's a great place to meet women, because the games act as a natural conversation starter.  What better way to get to know each other than by choosing your favorite ninja turtle and kicking some foot solider ass...together?? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

I cant wait to go there. I went to a similar place called Barcade in Brooklyn last month. It was awesome til my contact fell out of my eye and I couldnt find it. lol

There's a Barcade in Philly that I've been to a number of times, it's great. Can't wait for a similar concept to open in Nashville.

Looks nice, and a good fit for the neighborhood.

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 1.24.39 PM.png

It's nice to see a development that makes an effort to sync with the surrounding structures.   The choice of brick and architectural elements will fit nicely with the 3 historic brick buildings at this same intersection (the Methodist church, the Catholic church and its rectory).    Six tall skinnies with hardie siding would have felt out of place.    

The location is also ground zero for the Germantown street festival and will make a great backdrop for the festivities.    Buyers of these units need to have a degree of tolerance for that one October weekend, but they will have an excellent vantage point from those rooftop patios.    

• Like 1

It's nice to see a development that makes an effort to sync with the surrounding structures.   The choice of brick and architectural elements will fit nicely with the 3 historic brick buildings at this same intersection (the Methodist church, the Catholic church and its rectory).    Six tall skinnies with hardie siding would have felt out of place.    

The location is also ground zero for the Germantown street festival and will make a great backdrop for the festivities.    Buyers of these units need to have a degree of tolerance for that one October weekend, but they will have an excellent vantage point from those rooftop patios.    

The style really does "set if off", for high-end condos.  I know that it's just a rendering, however, I'm not too certain whether such reinforced free-standing parapets are practical for this type of structure, particularly being subjected to gusty, downdraft climate, frequenting the region as a whole, and IMO reinforced free-standing parapets are potential trouble in the long term w/r/t shear forces.  The ones shown on the extreme right and left, which depict parapets incorporated with masonry chimney chases, likely encapsulating Class-A multi-purpose chimneys or standard Class-B vents, create a clever way combination of stye and function.  I can understand having chimney height projections needed to comply with codes for such steeply pitched roofs, but such parapets often are a source of weathering trouble in the future, which often deteriorate at the copings and within the courses of brick (due to years of constant thermal expansion and contraction and being exposed to the elements on two sides. They also require far more flashing surface at the base area to be inspected and maintained for preventing water leaks.  The design also requires an ample number of discharge drains to handle even large amounts of precip downfall.

Of course, parapets are the norm for any large, multi-story complex such as the Icon, Terrazzo, and the like, but structures of such scale also are built with construction requirements which conform to much more durable and generous specs., than those for much smaller stature as these (often brick veneer over stick-framing.  The roof-top terraces behind these parapets are a great feature for buyers, but then too they create much more enclosed surface area from which rainwater and even melting ice and snow precip must be drained, a matter of additional concern.  Designing parapets direct attached to pitched roofs (as that shown in the mid-left) are common practice for both historic and contemporary-built structures, such as Kissam Quadrangle at Vandy, and on a number of building at U.Penn in DT Philly.

Anyway, just saying this as a matter of cost-vs-practical/reliable for such a scale of residential development.  I love the focal emphasis that the parapets inspire, along with the accent-stone quoin corner blocks, the parapet step coping (cap) blocks, and the jack-arches above the lintels.  Time would determine the durability and longevity of such a bold design for that type of structure, but the design is beautiful.
-==-

http://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/8/20/permit_issued_for_lower_broad_project

Trail West building:  $4M permit issued for demo and replacement with cartoonish replica.      

WTF? I'm not even remotely attached to this building. But when you prohibit legitimately transformative development in this district, and then let BS like this through...

. . . [the] plan, according to the team, is to essentially construct a new building from within the shell of the existing building. Once the new structure is completed, the skin of the existing building can be removed to accommodate the doors and windows of the new building.

How is this even permissible? What is this...some obvious attempt to skirt whatever overlays and rules we have that govern the "historic" structures on Broadway? Does this seem completely idiotic to anyone else?

The team is planning to repair and reinstall the current building’s existing rotating sign on the Third and Broad corner.

Nice little token gesture there. I mean, really?

• Like 4

WTF? I'm not even remotely attached to this building. But when you prohibit legitimately transformative development in this district, and then let BS like this through...

How is this even permissible? What is this...some obvious attempt to skirt whatever overlays and rules we have that govern the "historic" structures on Broadway? Does this seem completely idiotic to anyone else?

Nice little token gesture there. I mean, really?

Yes.

• Like 1