Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Imagine for a moment that we were (gasp) a big city. It feels perfectly normal in an urban environment to have a door for one hotel five yards down the sidewalk from the door to another hotel, and then maybe another around the corner, all located in what a keen eye would plainly identify as "the same building". I don't see it being a navigational issue at all.

In this case, they will share the same 15' front entrance on KVB with a split right or left straight in the doorway. There will be a higher end hotel occupying the front of the building seems like 140-60 units and the back portion split with another 400+- units. Two 5000 sf restaurant spaces on KVB and a smaller commercial space on 5th. Vehicular access will be on the 5th Ave side. I didn't realize it but the building does not span the block all the way back to Peabody, there is another parcel roughly 60' wide between the hotel and Peabody that Northpoint was not able to acquire. For those of you yearning for more LED lights, there will be accent lighting on the side elements(maybe the front too). One issue that may hold the project up is the in ground transformer which requires council approval, in this case could delay the project another three months after the new council is seated in Sept. I haven't read the NBJ article so this may have already been covered, if so, apologies.  

• Like 3

Whooo-whooo (sarcasm)... another shorty. Wow! It's after midnight, and I am a bit loopy... but where did it say they would build 216,000 sf? 

I believe there are height restrictions between 2nd Ave and the river, certainly between 1st and the river. Yes, I believe it is 15 stories, and by the way a 30k sf floor plate gets to 210000 sf pretty quickly.

Edited by nvestnbna

I think that had been the former Hippodrome Olds dealership a while back, when GM stilled all but dominated all mid-Broadway.  Surprised it remained even this long for car sales.  Don't know what spacial comprises the 1.4 acres, but I doubt it covers all the way to Grundy St, where the square brick smokestack remains from Mr. Transmission (formerly Sadler Transmissions), the current antique shop.  With Pollack Shores redeveloping the block north (incl. the former SignsNow and Gossett), I would hope that that entire pre-war automotive-centric hodgepodge in that entire area between Broad and Church is now poised to be part of an uncompromising transformation.  There's not much if anything of historic value worth trying to save between 11th and 16th along Grundy, IMO, and I'm not certain that the barely recognizable vestige of the original Banner bldg. will survive in the distant future.  (what had been the old Sealtest Dairy building between Broad and Porter long ago became incorporated with Gannett Printing)

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

And I have the perfect name for it.... 1212!   

So Rookzie, is that Hippodrome building an old one?  Seems as though I remember it looking like a mid-century modern building, although nothing special.  It has a much better street presence than Beaman. Then again, a Wal Mart has a better street presence than Beaman. 

• Like 1

And I have the perfect name for it.... 1212!   

So Rookzie, is that Hippodrome building an old one?  Seems as though I remember it looking like a mid-century modern building, although nothing special.  It has a much better street presence than Beaman. Then again, a Wal Mart has a better street presence than Beaman. 

All I can say is that Hippodrome Oldsmobile had been there when I was coming up, although that doesn't really give you a definitive answer.  I don't know the history of that building, but it was fitting that GM, with fierce competition among cars sales among post-war Olds, Pontiac (Beaman), and Chevy (Jim Reed), each of which had a foremost location, especially back when it wasn't until I had been born (early '50s) that auto mfgrs. had begun to make the automatic transmissions more reliable, and affordable to target the masses with the sensation of not having to drive a stick shift.  The subsidiaries which supplied these components under the trade name "Hydra-Matic®", for the higher-end Cadillac and even for a high percentage of  the Olds orders during the '40s,  also during the early post-war years had revolutionized the fully automatic paradigm with a much more then-attractively priced "Power-Glide®" for lower end vehicles, and often exploited some walking-stick granny widow finally able to drive herself, without having to wield a "hand-stick" (shifter).

My point in all this is that each of those three dealers (along with the Maxey and Donnelly Studebaker Dealer between 17th Ave N. and the Corinthian Lodge, and which had remained through the mid-'60s [featuring the Commander and later the Lark, the Valiant, and the sporty Avanti]), had an Ace in the hole with their businesses along a prime US highway in the mainstream extension of the CBD, and customers who would have had to deal with the city bus (still called Southern Coach Lines in the early '50s, from the re-org days of the former Interurban rail line), could then be a part of the downtown culture of being lured in to owning a car.  Almost all of mid-Broadway and the side streets in some form or fashion had some commercial supply or machine-related service house scattered along one side or another, to provide ancillary support for automotive ownership.  Hippodrome Olds had been one of those kingpins of the entire mid-state, early on.  Remember, everything from Singer sewing machines (5th Ave north of Church, near the crimson-mirrored glass Russell-Stover Candies), vaccuum cleaners, furniture, and cars, primarily had been sold as close to Downtown as a dealer could locate, during the ages preceding widespread mall sprawl.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

I've been keeping my eye on this for quite a while.  I think something pretty significant going to be developed there. That entire corner (along with properties Division Street heading up the hill and over the new connector bridge) is going to be radically transformed in the next 5-7 years.

• Like 1

I agree with you. I know the argument would be cost but look at the difference the spires make on the Batman building. I'd love to see something like what was planned on top of Signature Tower. I know it'll never happen but maybe one day we will be surprised. Heck I'd even take a sloped roof at this point. All the flat roofs are becoming so boring and uninspiring. 

• Like 3