Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

I did a little more digging and this would have fit the timeline perfectly if they were out drumming up interest before the program started.  Still, I think it's weird one of the largest energy companies is skimping on solar panels on its new HQ in 2021.   

https://www.duke-energy.com/home/products/renewable-energy/nc-solar-rebates

13 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I did a little more digging and this would have fit the timeline perfectly if they were out drumming up interest before the program started.  Still, I think it's weird one of the largest energy companies is skimping on solar panels on its new HQ in 2021.   

Rereading that program, it's enrollment for rebates for systems already installed, so maybe there's no relation, but that's what they told us.  My friends weren't interested so we didn't get more info.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, turbocraig said:

Unless they used the new glass that doubles as solar panels, which is till pretty far out there,  the amount of electricity panels on the top of this building might generate would be enough to power a room.  It would be much more effective to install them on top of parking decks around town. This way your car could also stay cool and shaded.  

20 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Unless they used the new glass that doubles as solar panels, which is till pretty far out there,  the amount of electricity panels on the top of this building might generate would be enough to power a room.  It would be much more effective to install them on top of parking decks around town. This way your car could also stay cool and shaded.  

They would certainly be enough to power the architectural lighting and give the appearance that the building has an actual roof. As I said before, the top without the solar array is just angled glass panels with an elevator box in the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this is interesting I don't believe everything I see online but this is usually pretty fairly  accurate and up to date.   Did DEP tower shrink to 531 feet from 600??

see for yourself

List of tallest buildings in Charlotte - Wikipedia

I think I had heard before that the tower had shrunk, but I couldn't remember by how much.

13 hours ago, The Real Clayton said:

its 597'8" to Tryon, its 608'8" to College, I corrected it on Wiki a few weeks back, guess someone decided the crown wasn't "architectural"

Pretty sure none of the other buildings on Wiki are listed by their roof height. The 530 ft listed on Wiki seems way off from how tall the building actually is.

• Like 2