Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

1 hour ago, cltheel.sdl said:

My only issue with this tower is how architecturally similar it is to DEC.  Would love this tower on North Tryon - here it just blends it with the neighbors.  Would love to see curves or a different color of glass to really help it stand out in this location.  

That is kind of the point isn't it? 

• Like 2

There is a fine line between complimentary and copying. I know this isn't identical to DEC but I think it does lean a little closer to trying be that than being something that plays off of it. Now, I'm not bashing the tower, I really like it, but small things could be done to differentiate it from its bigger brother and still have a common language with it. Darker or different color glass for example. 

• Like 1

The “shack” is being utilized on site, and now has an a/c unit tacked onto it, and it houses the sentinel on the west side of project entrance.

No cement trucks get through without first going by/through the shack. Lol  

You could say they repurposed the shack 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Real Clayton said:

609 toward tryon, 618 from college.

When complete it'll look significantly different from the Power Tower

I'm not sure what the "PC crowd" has to do with this. It'll be a long time before we see a building over 50 floors again. The economics don't support it, developers in Charlotte have no need to build a tower that tall. 

The only way it happens if its a statement tower, so you are likely right. Its possible a big bank wants something developed for a new hub, or some sort of residential/condo/hotel hybrid in the luxury market. There is nothing wrong with a bunch of 350 to 400' towers being built and the density to increase in that way though. It sets up a future where buildings have to be built taller. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Real Clayton said:

609 toward tryon, 618 from college.

When complete it'll look significantly different from the Power Tower

I'm not sure what the "PC crowd" has to do with this. It'll be a long time before we see a building over 50 floors again. The economics don't support it, developers in Charlotte have no need to build a tower that tall. 

The Real Clayton, thanks so much for that clarification 

14 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Maybe we could get Wells to move it's national HQ to Charlotte and then they'll have a measuring contest with BOA to see who has the bigger...ahem... building again. Then we'll have more 50+ floor towers.

I'm still skeptical that is going to happen, just based on our current leader's take on things.  Plus the cost savings directive would make me think that a new building of any type is not a possibility in the near future (like 5-10 years).

We can still hope though!

• Like 4

I would rather have two or three 200 - 400 footers over a 50+ floor signature. Of course if one was proposed I would be more than happy but I agree it's unlikely to happen in a city like Charlotte for a while. We were lucky to get B of A corporate, Hearst, Dec, and now Duke Metro when we did. Other cities with similar size CBD's to ours at the time we got them would have fallen over themselves in awe if they were announced there. We have the tall and distinct and now we need the density tapering off away from that to thicken (for lack of a better term) the center city. 

• Like 4

I find DEP to be delightfully complimentary to the DEC. 

Some of us have been scarred from the disappointing value engineering of other projects. Hopefully there won’t be anything glaringly obviously value engineered with this building once we see the finished project. 

• Like 4