Learning from Other Places

On 1/20/2023 at 11:51 AM, KJHburg said:

actually St Petersburg is probably the most pedestrian friendly downtown in Florida with Tampa and Orlando secondly.  And St Pete is benefitting from that with a revitalized downtown.  I used the Metromover in downtown Miami from Brickell and it is nice I really like it.  I agree downtown Miami is not the most pedestrian friendly but that riverwalk along the bay and river is nice. 

My favorite metro in Florida would be the Tampa Bay metro.  

Love what they've been doing to both St. Pete and downtown Tampa over the past few years.  The Edition Hotel is amazing.  I don't love Florida in general (and have had a home there for over 20 years) but they have a vibe that I wish Charlotte would grow into having just a sliver of.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

St Petersburg: Free newspaper if the sun does not shine

https://travelwithintent.com/2015/02/05/sunshine-city-bench-newspaper-boy-sculpture/

This was famous, in its day.

I only experienced sunshine while in St Pete and here is a shot from the beach.   But I do think they have the most pedestrian friendly downtown of any Florida city.  

20230116_175005.jpg

20230116_175755.jpg

20230116_175857.jpg

• Like 2

Some longer term Charlotteans may recall that when Ivey's department store downtown closed it was mooted several uses. The Board of Education thought so highly of its use for an Arts magnet school that a referendum was held including the funds for conversion of the building for that purpose. This was mid-1990's. The referendum failed and Jim Gross purchased the property for his condominium conversion and now the boutique lodging business.

• Like 2

I’ve mentioned several times I want a new urban high school really bad for Charlotte. 

This High School will open up in DC soon. I would love for a similar urban one in SouthEnd or Uptown. I think it would be great to have young Charlotteans be integrated more into the urban fabric. I think younger Charlotteans would really add to the culture of urban Charlotte. We need more young people to be annoying, skate around, do murals, etc. 
B2C2D28A-810B-4C08-A047-41CE84FC30A6.thumb.jpeg.4f4e26afce8e599a3a983e9bcf54ee04.jpeg
55C5ECE4-9FDF-4A51-9458-21A9E4F6EB74.thumb.jpeg.d02cd1eb5ada8ebd7c7f191847999b26.jpeg

I always thought going to a school that looked like this would make it easier to go lol.
  • Like 3

I agree with AirNostrumMAD that it would be wonderful for young Charlotteans to be integrated into the Queen City's urban fabric more effectively than otherwise via a school. Cities can benefit from downtown schools.

To add to smealgolsfree's post about Hume Fogg Academic High School and downtown Nashville's private school (grades five through 12) Templeton Academy (the parent for which is based in D.C.):

https://www.facebook.com/templetonacademynashville/photos/a.616748358780474/896797370775570/?type=3

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/education/historic-downtown-building-eyed-for-private-school/article_3db84691-6893-5d35-8112-7cdfd1c35045.html

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 11:26 AM, tarhoosier said:

What is communicated by our high school architecture today?

Years ago when I was growing up in a Nashville suburb, a new high school was being built around the same time that there were discussions about expanding the jail. There was an uproar because people thought the new high school was a jail, because that's what it damn well looked like. 

• Sad 2

still think one of these is needed in Charlotte.  Maybe near this new district along Brevard and Spectrum Center.  Atlanta has one.  Miami has one.  It is a great way to see the skyline.  Here is Myrtle Beach's Skywheel.  People like them.  They will ride several times a year including locals I think.  Great way to showcase the city and skyline. 

20230206_081835.jpg

20230206_123056.jpg

20230207_111918.jpg

20230207_112004.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/7/2023 at 8:36 PM, KJHburg said:

still think one of these is needed in Charlotte.  Maybe near this new district along Brevard and Spectrum Center.  Atlanta has one.  Miami has one.  It is a great way to see the skyline.  Here is Myrtle Beach's Skywheel.  People like them.  They will ride several times a year including locals I think.  Great way to showcase the city and skyline. 

20230206_081835.jpg

20230206_123056.jpg

20230207_111918.jpg

20230207_112004.jpg

Washington has it in suburban PG County in the National Harbor district along the Potomac. Chicago has one as well.  

Yes, a ferris wheel should be a central feature of a future tourist district in Charlotte. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Retail is Vibrant in this downtown …. Iowa City

3E4BBFF2-295F-4A05-99C0-1A3CC0A092E6.thumb.jpeg.5929e0a8a46ac724695debc2b28bb358.jpeg

A33FE9EE-9BF1-4E5D-9D4F-03390FF9B980.thumb.jpeg.ea54348fb9db3dff59db1a864f11dc65.jpeg

This building Under Construction would be the 3rd tallest in North Carolina… which is being built in… Omaha, Nebraska (677 Ft.)

5975A7C7-0331-44DD-9BDE-1E15D9E2D6ED.thumb.jpeg.683ec1e567ff6e4542e2d0c4784fe762.jpeg
8CD844E4-AA3A-4B6D-8B20-BFDF8DECAB78.thumb.webp.b36047b74adb1ab9da56b0721860ad2f.webp

European Tram vibes in … Cincinnati 

2C6D4615-BFDD-4349-8806-2268E9FB6D6B.jpeg.09320051fe90ed210373819a33a533f7.jpeg

Lots of amazing things going on in downtowns all over America. No need to look at the typical larger cities for amazing urbanity going on. I know so little about the things going on in most of the US cities outside a few (because there’s only so much one can learn) so I love when I learn something new. These 3 cities surprised me lately. 

I took a trip to Des Moines and Omaha a few years back and enjoyed both cities. Both are underrated cities for sure. If I were to pick one over the other, it would be Omaha. The downtown is much more vibrant especially at night in the old market area. However, the area on the other side of the river in Des Moines is nice too by the State Capital but has nowhere near the vibe of Omaha. I do realize that is Iowa City Iowa though. I did not make it there, but Des Moines is just as vibrant.

I need to get back up to Cincy as it's been a while. They were working on the Streetcar system when I was there last, but I did get into OTR and it was pretty cool. Nowhere else like it in the US.

• Like 4

With all of the trials and tribulations occurring at Northlake Mall, you know you have crappy locations and customer market when the Walmart decides to just close up!!  Of course  the topic of excessive shrinkage AKA shoplifting was mentioned as well!

Edited by rancenc
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, rancenc said:

Walmart pulling out of a section of major city......this time Washington DC.  Unfortunately these types of departures usually causes "food deserts" that is lamented about!

Couple of things:

1. Walmart closing their H Street location will hardly create a food desert...there is a really nice Safeway (the Sexy Safeway) two blocks north and a Giant three blocks east. 
  2. This location was an incredibly strange spot for a Walmart...it was essentially shoehorned into a mixed-use development. The store was incredibly poorly designed and the few times I have been there I felt like everyone was walking over each other. 
  3. Walmart seems to do an extremely poor job in urban, built-up areas versus areas where they can build their own stand-alone store. Target seems to do a much better job at neatly adapting to urban environments. 
  4. I'm sure shrinkage could have played a role in the store's demise, but individual Walmarts can absorb a massive amount of shrinkage before it even begins to remotely affect the store's bottom line. Target's "flagship" DC location in Columbia Heights is in a census tract with much higher crime and that location is one of the chain's most profitable, high-volume stores. I can promise you that Target would probably be able to turn this closed Walmart into a successful operation...they just have way more institutional knowledge of urban environments.
  5. Walmart's other two DC locations on Georgia Ave/Brightwood Park and in Fort Totten also have somewhat similar levels of crime, but I guarantee you they are 100% more profitable because they arein line with more traditional, stand-alone locations. 
  • Like 4

My friend from Nashville UP @smeagolsfree sent me this list of all the towers underway or proposed in Nashville.  Its quite impressive and they will get their new tallest at 750 feet.  So our BOAT will no longer will be taller than the tallest in Tennessee.  

I will be in Nashville in late April and will document many of these.  

45 Upcoming Towers Climbing 15 to 60 Stories In Downtown Nashville. – CITY NOW NEXT

Now if they could just build some more roads, beltways, mass transit, BRT or something to move people around.  Even the intown Krispy Kreme in their Midtown is coming down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1