Gulch Union (Endeavor Demonbreun): 3 towers (20 story/329,000 s.f. office, twin 28 story residential buildings)

markhollin

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, nashville born said:

Anyone willing to speculate on the odds of phase III happening?

I think the odds would depend upon how quickly they fill the first tower, if the demand is there and there’s enthusiasm for more than definitely it would probably be great odds. As of now I would have to say 50/50 to stay neutral.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think that timeline is reasonable. We are probably looking at a 2-year slowdown IMO. Vacancy rates in the core are approaching 17% and are around 10% elsewhere with a lot of units still under construction. It will take some time for the market to absorb those units. Renters are going to get a gift for a couple of years as rents will drop at some point. these properties will at some point have to drop their rents instead of offering incentives. When one blinks, they all will. I also think some of these large buildings may go all STR further hurting the single home STR market and bring the prices down further for STR's. Some folks will lose their shirt if they have not already. That will affect the hotel market as well.

At the ULI Emerging Trends breakfast it was interesting to hear that we may see some temporary rent INCREASES to absorb the financial concerns with many of the multi-family buildings coming up for refinancing. While Nashville has seen a surge in supply, that means there was also a surge in low-interest financing so my assumption is to account for higher rates, complexes may need to show revenues that can cover the higher rates? Not sure the real impact of the higher rates on cap rates for developers/land owners, but at least in my mind that is the logical/rational thought process

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This rent phenomenon has also hit Whidbey Island, where I own three doors, a single-family on a golf course and a duplex right in Langley. I had to drop the monthly rent on one of the duplex units almost 10% since more rentals have come on the market. Still a great cap rate, but indicative of a trend. And the island is FAR from being overbuilt.

• Like 4

On 11/28/2023 at 8:52 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I also think some of these large buildings may go all STR further hurting the single home STR market and bring the prices down further for STR's. Some folks will lose their shirt if they have not already. That will affect the hotel market as well.

Harlowe is now offering home sharing as an amenity. Greystar still being selective with which properties to offer it. It is reasonable to expect that to grow. Lifestyle Communities also about to rollout a home sharing program. 

On 11/28/2023 at 2:17 PM, Bos2Nash said:

At the ULI Emerging Trends breakfast it was interesting to hear that we may see some temporary rent INCREASES to absorb the financial concerns with many of the multi-family buildings coming up for refinancing. While Nashville has seen a surge in supply, that means there was also a surge in low-interest financing so my assumption is to account for higher rates, complexes may need to show revenues that can cover the higher rates? Not sure the real impact of the higher rates on cap rates for developers/land owners, but at least in my mind that is the logical/rational thought process

How will that work when you have vacancy rates in the double digits unless the apartment owners end up in collusion with one another which is illegal. That is call price fixing. With more and more units coming online, again I say someone is going to blink. If there are some temporary INCREASES, they will end up losing tenants. If I knew you were going up on my rates and everyone else was staying the same or going down, my rear end is out the door. There is no brand loyalty in this town or anywhere else.

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

How will that work when you have vacancy rates in the double digits

I think the high interest rates are working to put a floor under rental prices because there are certain people who could have afforded a home a couple years ago who are now firmly locked into the rental market.   The continued high price of houses even in the face of higher interest rates represents yet another obstacle to home ownership... thus, rents remain higher. 

Also, there were a lot of residential properties purchased by investors during the last run-up in prices.  They really have no choice but to remain firm on their rental prices, otherwise they will have to write-down the value of those assets.  That is also putting a floor under home prices, and by extension, rental prices (by locking border-line buyers out of the ownership market).  As an example, if Mom & Pop with two rental units get desperate, they may lower the rent on one to fill the unit.  But then a few months later they see ABC Corporate ownership renter hasn't changed any of their prices, so Mom & Pop don't come down on the second unit when it comes up for renewal because they see the market is mostly unchanged.  Meanwhile, ABC Corporate is not motivated to change pricing by Mom & Pop's move of desperation because their market share is immaterial.

At this point, I think the only thing that would meaningfully lower home (and rental) prices would be drastic changes in zoning laws and building codes that would allow for more density.  Maybe also the construction of tiny homes and non-traditional construction styles.

• Like 1