Something like this would look nice in the KVB roundabout, but this monument is where it should be:

"The park is a two-acre site just south of I-440 and bounded by Granny White Pike, Clifton Avenue, and Battlefield Drive. It sits on the battlefield at the northernmost penetration by Confederate forces. The plot forms the crest of a hill and is dominated by a large pin oak tree. The monument will be situated at the highest elevation, facing east as intended by original sculptor Giuseppe Moretti."

http://www.bonps.org/battle-of-nashville-monument/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

If we were to ever decide we wanted to build some type of iconic structure near downtown (ala the Golden Gate Bridge, Space Needle, The Arch, etc)...I think it would be awesome to construct a replica of this tower at exactly 878' downtown somewhere close...but as a structure that would support tourists and maybe even have a cafe midway...with incredible LED lighting and observation decks.

We could even say that the design also represents a "needle" on a record player...which would be appropriate for Music City.

Not 800', but it's got your café!!!

WMAQ_zpsuw2afd00.jpg

This out across from the Opryland Hotel BTW...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

^^ So both the Bridgestone Arena and CMHF have a radio tower in tribute to the WSM tower?? Or is it just the CMHF.....

Probably both.  When I did Leadership Music back in 2007, Robert K. Oermann came and spoke to us and showed us a great deal about the history of music in "the music city"...and really explained to us the significance of WSM.  If I can find any of the info, I'll share it.  (sorry...don't mean to take us away from Public Art).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing Giant Nekkid Dude statue replacing Sticks (Poles ?) and surrounded by a nice fountain.

When this guy showed up naked in public they made a statue to commemorate the event, but whenever I go streaking, all I am awarded with is jail time. :( 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing Giant Nekkid Dude statue replacing Sticks (Poles ?) and surrounded by a nice fountain.

I hear you, compared to the cue stix.  But that granite-and-bronze thing goes perfect with its current Post WW-I setting.

• Like 1

"Curious Nashville: How A Mosaic Dragon Became A Neighborhood Mascot Near Vanderbilt"

Fannie Mae Dees Park — commonly known as “Dragon Park” — was created in 1978. Shortly thereafter, a Chilean-born artist living in New York named Pedro Silva was commissioned to create a public play sculpture as the park’s centerpiece. 

Full Story: http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/curious-nashville-how-mosaic-dragon-became-neighborhood-mascot-near-vanderbilt#stream/0

dragon1.jpg

• Like 3