Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

36 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

They didn’t put a hold on demolition, but rather the higher court sent it down to the lower court to have the case reconsidered. No court order was issued barring the fairgrounds from continuing with the work. 

44 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

22 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I tried to find a thread on the Nashville Soccer facebook page where someone broke this down but can't find it currently but it didn't seem to be a problem. I can't remember the specifics of why.

From my understanding, the chancery court made a summary judgment, and the appellate court said that summary judgment did not mention two articles (one being on taxes to the fair board for uses on the fairgrounds, the other making the fairgrounds available for a fair 6 days a week).

That is what is going to be discussed in further detail at the next hearing. 

The appellate court did not agree / disagree with the ruling, just said to comment on the ruling. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Briley is obviously on board with it so if he wins nothing would change. Copper wasn't overly a fan of the 10 acres but he is a developer at heart and he realizes that trying to change the deal now would be a bad look for everyone. Not to mention the mayor doesn't have absolute power to just change deals at will. The council would have to get involved and all the current members and most that are getting re-elected consider it a done deal. 

I've never heard Cooper say that if elected he would do anything to change the MLS stadium deal currently in place.     I don't think that's a real concern.  

23 hours ago, Melrose said:

Since the news media always seems to only cover the legislation before it is acted on,  like it is certain to pass,    Glover's ordinance was  indefinitely deferred by roll call vote, effectively killing it for at least this session.  See at  1:38:00 for the vote:

The non-binding Resolution by Glover asking to stop any work while the Save Our Fairgrounds lawsuit is pending was also deferred for one meeting.  

Had a flashback watching this. Ken Joyce  speaks out against the stadium at the beginning of public comments after Shane Smiley. Ken got in the face of one of our neighbors last year at a Fairgrounds meeting, screaming and yelling at him he that had no idea what he was talking about (even though the guy lives in the neighborhood). If our neighbor wasn't a mellow, peaceful person, there may have been a fight.  @PaulChinetti I believe you were sitting next to me when this took place. I'm pretty sure Ken, like most of the fanatical Fairgrounds supporters, doesn't live in Davidson County. 

• Like 2

Poor Steve, and hopefully we can really say that when he gets his rear end kicked in the at large elections and we dont have to listen to him anymore. When the soccer stadium is well under way the issue will be dead for those idiots trying to save a dying institution that is the State Fair Grounds. 

Someone will then need to write the words to the poem "Ode To Stevie G"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I imagine the demolition will happen as planned after the state fair, which should take about 2-3 months. 

The hearing for the chancery court should happen during demolition, and if it’s deemed ok to build the stadium and the 10 acres, it will be appealed. 

I do not believe stadium will break ground until all court cases are cleared. 

6 minutes ago, DMilner said:

Sheesh, you can smell the bias on this guy from a mile away. He even included a small anecdote where metro officials "literally laughed at him" to improve his credibility. I mean seriously, you think this guy doesn't have a personal bone to pick with any of these things he's writing about?

"Here’s the problem. Arrogance, smugness, no accountability. No transparency."

" These arrogant lawyers..."

"...arrogant, aloof lawyering has cost the day. "

"Fire some arrogant staff lawyers."

I'm not really sure what the Tennessean is gaining by posting such poorly written crap like this.

• Like 4

How much do you think the area surrounding the MLS stadium will change? Do you think it's possible that the entire surrounding areas begin to look like the warehouse and apartments you see along Chestnut Street, Martin, and Humphreys? It'd be great if Wedgewood Houston became a mini "Soccer City", but I'm afraid all the single family residences will prevent that. 

@PaulChinetti @smeagolsfree Does zoning allow for higher density uses around the stadium? I know there have been some discussions on this before, I just can't remember. 

• Like 1