Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

On 1/4/2024 at 8:38 AM, mintscraft56 said:

Thats the problem. Norfolk NEEDS to expend. We are the only city with an actual Downtown here (With the exception of NN). For the region to grow prosperous, we will need to grow too. These counties turned into cities only to stop Norfolk. Its quite litterly why Chespeake, Suffolk, and VB are massive compared to us.

The only real cities that SHOULD be here are Newport News, Portsmouth, and Norfolk. The rest should be counties that we could expand into. VB is Virginia's biggest city....yes. Why? Because its the land size of NYC! Of course its gonna have a big population!

I dont hate these other cities at all. But I do hate how we came to function.
Portsmouth and Norfolk should combine under the name "Norfolk". NN can do its own thing with hampton. VB can stay...i guess. But Suffolk and Chesapeake are in no way cities. They are just big counties that want to play big city games. Suffolk and Chesapeake need to return to county status and in return, we can expand like every other real city on this planet. 

Thats just my 2 cents.  

*in my Chris Griffin voice, "GET OUT OF MY HEAD"

I got notes that literally read what you JUST typed.  Every detail.  It would be The Trinity Region.  The 7 Cities sounds cool and rolls off the tongue well but...........THE TRINITY? hmmmmmmm

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey @vdoggI was snooping through the Hilton main channel reading all of the posts when I came across some type of project rendering channel you made and posted in. I was wondering if you could start doing this again so we can have easy access to renderings in a single channel. I found the one you made to be extremely helpful on my quest to find info on older buildings.

If your unable to do it alone, I think making a new topic open to the public for building descriptions and renderings only would be a good idea.

Anyways heres the topic im referring to: 

Hi UP - if you could take a minute to consider this petition I think it'd be a well worth it few minutes. RVA YIMBY with our partner chapters have spearheaded an umbrella group under the moniker 'Commonwealth Housing Coalition' which is lobbying for a number of supply side focused pro-development bills for this years General Assembly Session. More information in the petition text! 

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/join-the-commonwealth-housing-coalition-2?source=direct_link&

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're going to address the Hampton Roads (Norfolk-Virginia Beach) sub-forum here, a group which represents the second largest metropolitan statistical area in Virginia and a potentially powerful ally (not to mention your neighbor a mere 90 miles to your Southeast), you might want to call us by our name.  

That point of order and courtesy aside, I support your cause.  I'm sure you have reached out to https://www.yimbyhamptonroads.org/  and @yimbyhrva on X. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/2024/01/19/win-win-win-agreement-in-norfolk-aims-to-protect-healthy-wetlands-as-sea-levels-rise/

Great to see Norfolk is in the forefront in the fight against sea level rise.   Whether you agree with climate change or not, I think we can agree that Norfolk as a laboratory for fighting rising seas and sinking land is a win for the city.   The city is actually being innovative when it comes to the environment.   This has to be a great magnet for attracting businesses to Norfolk designed to come up with innovative solutions in the fight against climate change and land subsidence.    

oh brother! sheesh!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/2024/01/19/win-win-win-agreement-in-norfolk-aims-to-protect-healthy-wetlands-as-sea-levels-rise/

Great to see Norfolk is in the forefront in the fight against sea level rise.   Whether you agree with climate change or not, I think we can agree that Norfolk as a laboratory for fighting rising seas and sinking land is a win for the city.   The city is actually being innovative when it comes to the environment.   This has to be a great magnet for attracting businesses to Norfolk designed to come up with innovative solutions in the fight against climate change and land subsidence.    

We shall see.  Rather, our progeny will see.  Because we'll be dead...and blissfully unaware. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Nope we are already seeing the effects of sea level rise  and land subsistence.  The solutions tested are planned to be implemented within 10 years.   This is a great opportunity for Norfolk.  

What happened to that ice age again?  Look we can argue causation, and I don't disagree with you there are signs of increased sea levels, but to actually commit to trillions of dollars of spending and suffer the attendant slowed economic growth and reduced standard of living in hopes of reducing temperature rise by half a degree Celsius or the sea level by 6 in. over the next 50 years or more is ...well ..sort of crazy. Man is not that powerful. Most of this is cyclical climate.. And who is going to reign in China and India? Not the Europeans and not us because supposedly they get a pass because they're still developing. Ha! What a joke! This is a massive transfer of wealth and you know it.  It's a money grab. This is big business. Corruption abounds. 

But I agree as far as Norfolk making money off this climate game. Why not Norfolk?  If not us, it will be somebody else.  So it's time for Norfolk to capitalize on this phenomenon.  To monetize it. Just as academics have been doing for  years. And Al Gore, of course. Nearly a billionaire now isn't he.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Actually what is being proposed for Norfolk is mitigation strategies for dealing with rising seas whatever the cause and land subsistence.   Great opportunity for Norfolk to be a laboratory for rising seas, increased flooding and erosion.   

• Like 3

I mean it's not exactly a secret that land subsidence is effecting Norfolk, since we keep drawing from the aquifers. It may not seem like the water is increasing from a naked eye, but during  occasional storms  there's been more flooding episodes. 

Map of the Virginia coastal plain with the locations of USGS extensometers and the severity of groundwater drawdown

Link: Land Subsidence on the Virginia Coastal Plain | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Actually what is being proposed for Norfolk is mitigation strategies for dealing with rising seas whatever the cause and land subsistence.   Great opportunity for Norfolk to be a laboratory for rising seas, increased flooding and erosion.   

Right. I don't disagree that cash-strapped Norfolk should jump on that gravy train. 

Some of us actually hold nuanced views of various subjects of geopolitical interest.

• Like 1

So, I guess this may fit here but if not, feel free to move it accordingly. 

I used to live in Norfolk for many years and moved away around 2018. I come back from time to time to visit but each time, I am really starting to wonder (read: worry) at the decline of Norfolk over the past few years. The few bright spots like IKEA or the Outlet Mall are outweighed by downtown and Ghent. There are a lot of empty store fronts and dead restaurants. Little to no foot traffic. Ghent is time well spent used to be the slogan and it felt like "Ghent is just spent" would be more apt now. Is the city even trying to do anything or is this looked at as "not my problem, private business can step in"? They spent all that money on buying up two dead malls, have they thought of buying up some dead retail on 21st or Colley and leasing it out for cheap/free to some banner places that would bring in more customers? And as for much of the eastern half of Norfolk, I feel like it's driving into a time warp to 1999 and not much has changed.

I guess I always felt like there is a lot of potential and established strengths in Norfolk that are inevitably squandered. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Former Resident of HR said:

I used to live in Norfolk for many years and moved away around 2018. I come back from time to time to visit but each time, I am really starting to wonder (read: worry) at the decline of Norfolk over the past few years. The few bright spots like IKEA or the Outlet Mall are outweighed by downtown and Ghent. There are a lot of empty store fronts and dead restaurants. Little to no foot traffic. Ghent is time well spent used to be the slogan and it felt like "Ghent is just spent" would be more apt now. Is the city even trying to do anything or is this looked at as "not my problem, private business can step in"? They spent all that money on buying up two dead malls, have they thought of buying up some dead retail on 21st or Colley and leasing it out for cheap/free to some banner places that would bring in more customers? And as for much of the eastern half of Norfolk, I feel like it's driving into a time warp to 1999 and not much has changed.

I guess I always felt like there is a lot of potential and established strengths in Norfolk that are inevitably squandered. 

Things are moving slowly but things are also coming together. Downtown is chill and foot traffic at least to me seems quite normal and the plans are big. Ghent is quiet and pleasant. I cant argue about Colley and 21st since its just private business matters rather than the fault of the City. SPQ is getting rebuilt and we hope to make plans for the mall soon. Its just a matter of time. 

18 hours ago, Former Resident of HR said:

Retail use if shifting...  I think restaurant and service businesses are still in demand but the city has made it very challenging for any type of restaurant that wants to serve alcohol to open (or remain open).  The process is much easier and quicker in every other city.  To couple with that the landlords want ridiculous rents for areas that honestly don't have the foot traffic to support.  Your average VA Beach shopping center has more foot traffic than most portions of Granby Street downtown.  Why pay ridiculous rents and fight with the city government when you can do better in Virginia Beach?  I want to see the city grow and Granby be what it was 10 years ago but those two issues are prevalent.  All the new residential is popping up which is great but there are no retail amenities which is really odd.  Why even choose to live squished into an urban environment if there is no walkability?  I'd rather have a yard.

I will say Hampton Blvd has a ton of new retail tenants.  They all have parking lots.  I guess the new residents downtown can hop in their cars and drive to Hampton Blvd for shopping and dining.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Former Resident of HR said:

If I may, my education will be directed towards development that creates or at the very least sustains what potential the Greater Norfolk area(this includes ALL  cities) offers.  I'll keep communication open with our leadership(oh, yes!  I moved to Norfolk yesterday so it's OURS now).  Stay vigilant if you have roots in our cities and if your find yourself pulled away, be sure to enjoy what Norfolk and our communities have to offer.  Most patrons to this site have a vested interest in Southeastern VA in general with Norfolk being our head.  Your message HAS NOT fell on deaf ears.  I hear you and luckily for us, I kinda care

• Like 3

I posted this in the Beach forum but it's hella sleepy over there. 

"So like....maybe Norfolk can involve itself in the trail plan????  maybe like, idk...just merge The Tide seamlessly into it.......maybe that's what Va Beach could use to wean the city into the idea of Norfolk being connected to the resort city.......??????????? "

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

I posted this in the Beach forum but it's hella sleepy over there. 

"So like....maybe Norfolk can involve itself in the trail plan????  maybe like, idk...just merge The Tide seamlessly into it.......maybe that's what Va Beach could use to wean the city into the idea of Norfolk being connected to the resort city.......??????????? "

Dude I wish. Our light rail is basically the symbol of unity here. It was built for the 7 cities, it was founded in the main city and was supposed to branch out. But like our unity, the lightrail never expanded across the city borders. Our area is not united at all and I think we can start using our light rail as an index to who we work well with....which is currently no one.  

• Like 2

Looks like we got a new town center on the rise just south of us (Summit Pointe). They are saying there is alot planned. Wish we had that much planned :(. 

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/chesapeake/chesapeake-leaders-look-forward-continued-growth-summit-pointe-greenbrier/291-d3cab049-6d90-4688-9a42-138c45a156e7

ALSO for anyone who does not check the Chesapeake forums, I need help in identifying a new "600 unit Apartment Complex" that is supposed to be built across volvo. Its not mentioned in the article who is building it or if its approved. Also I dont deal with Chesapeake alot so im unfamiliar with their things. 

• Like 2