Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

Newport News Shipbuilding is expanding to Fairwinds Landing in Norfolk.  There is so much economic activity going in Lamberts Point that I'm wondering if there should be a separate discussion group for Lamberts Point. 

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/newport-news-shipbuilding-expands-to-norfolk/

Edited by EJ_LEWIS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

We've always had that attention. "Home of the Atlantic Fleet". The Soviets had more than a few nukes with our name on them back during the Cold War. Russia probably still does today.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, vdogg said:

We've always had that attention. "Home of the Atlantic Fleet". The Soviets had more than a few nukes with our name on them back during the Cold War. Russia probably still does today.

I think we definitely do. North Korea already kind said so but I believe Russia has alot of them pointed for our area lol. Its kinda weird thinking other nations see this city as a threat while we carry on our normal lives here. 

On 12/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, Arctic_Tern said:

I mean I would be surprised if every modern major military doesn't have at least a few maps and speculative strategies in regards to this area. Having the worlds largest Navy base will garner that kind of attention.

True. This is a NATO base, Biggest Naval base in the world, and Air base with a few other government installations. The Port of Norfolk is a major US shipping port too with our largest trade coming in from China. 

We have alot of value here. Everything here is internationally watched. Sometimes I wonder if the threat of being first to be invaded is what keeps people away, as crazy as it sounds, iv talked to some people who legitimately looked somewhere else to live because of that.  

Edited by mintscraft56

Everyone, heads up. 
Looks like Virginia is officially getting 2 major sports teams. Its not much of a move, since both teams are Washington DC's, however the fact the state is finally getting a sports team is pretty cool. 

Anyways, I yearn for the day we get a major team to represent Norfolk. 

This will also bring in a staggering 30,000 new jobs, new headquarters, and new business areas. 
“The Commonwealth will now be home to two professional sports teams, a new corporate headquarters, and over 30,000 new jobs – this is monumental,” Youngkin said in a statement.

Anything good for the state is bound to help us too. I wonder how this will affect everyone? 
https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/12/13/d-c-s-nba-nhl-teams-would-move-to-virginia-under-new-deal-youngkin-says/?lctg=0362431585F604095574D5657D&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.pilotonline.com%2f2023%2f12%2f13%2fd-c-s-nba-nhl-teams-would-move-to-virginia-under-new-deal-youngkin-says%2f&utm_campaign=Breaking-News&utm_content=Alerts

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Sad 1

Our chances were admittedly slim, esp. since the NBA has Seattle and Vegas next on their radar. If they go beyond 32 to say, 36, I could see us being in that next round along with Louisville, but I think you get into the issue of spreading the talent pool too thin. I’m not a fan of the move because it hurts us and Richmond in a way.

I think this move closes the 757’s window unless they play a couple exhibition or regular season games down here. Hopefully the city doesn’t get cold feet and decide not to do anything at all with Scope or Military Circle. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BFG said:

Our chances were admittedly slim, esp. since the NBA has Seattle and Vegas next on their radar. If they go beyond 32 to say, 36, I could see us being in that next round along with Louisville, but I think you get into the issue of spreading the talent pool too thin. I’m not a fan of the move because it hurts us and Richmond in a way.

I think this move closes the 757’s window unless they play a couple exhibition or regular season games down here. Hopefully the city doesn’t get cold feet and decide not to do anything at all with Scope or Military Circle. 

This shouldn't really close the 757's window....hopefully :(.  Plus, if we ever got a NBA or NFL team, we could be big rivals of Washington/Alexandria. We are too big,diverse, and unique of an area with too many people to just let us go without representation. 

This area gets national attention, and oddly enough, international attention (Looking at you, Russia and NK) too. Now, we are no Louisville or Charlotte in size or height, however I believe we are still up there with the bigger areas/cities with our total region population and diversity. We will get our time soon. Hopefully in my lifetime too. 

• Like 1

Market wise we’re bigger than Louisville, and for markets with a team OKC, Memphis, and I think Milwaukee. So the potential is there and I think Adam Silver is still aware of what we want to do. But we can’t do anything without a larger arena, and we’ve been having that conversation for more than a decade. 

Horrible leadership in this area. Cities cut throating each other to the point that businesses go somewhere else

I can’t name any leader in this region that has done anything spectacular. This metro will always stay mediocre till we get excellent leaders here to bring this region to its full potential. We really need to get rid of the 7 cities and have 1 main city and a couple counties surrounding it. This will never happen though

I can’t name any leader in this region that has done anything spectacular. This metro will always stay mediocre till we get excellent leaders here to bring this region to its full potential. We really need to get rid of the 7 cities and have 1 main city and a couple counties surrounding it. This will never happen though

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norva757 said:

Horrible leadership in this area. Cities cut throating each other to the point that businesses go somewhere else

I agree.  In all my years of observation and research, the one thing Tidewater suffers from  that's unique to any city I've lived in worldwide is too many cities, shoulder to shoulder.  I mean, they're literally right beside one another.  I can't believe it was allowed.  It's just too much competition...  

It would be comparable to parents  having 7 kids, age groups super spread out, then just leaving them to their own devices one day..........and never returning.  The oldest kid would take care of most of them until the others were able to fend for themselves.  Then the younger one wants what the eldest has.  Power, money, influence;  whatever.  This exactly what this scenario looks like in VA 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I talked about this with someone last week who works with one of the regional offices (I forget which one). He said the biggest issue is what we've said all along: too many cities and too many leaders with different agendas. He said consolidation could happen where all or a few of the cities - let's say Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake, and Hampton - become one city, and the mayors become "borough presidents" which is how it works in NYC. You have Mayor Brown overseeing the city, then the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. have borough presidents with the same duties as a mayor.

It's doable here, but I have a better shot of hitting the Powerball every week for the next 20 years. Went to a Chamber-sponsored event a couple months ago, and Newport News's mayor basically said the same thing. It's a bummer because the city leaders see the elephant in the room, but think going to another mayor's State of the City is working together. We're still handicapped by the Seven Cities moniker - catchy as it may be - and until someone takes that chance, this area will never reach that next level. And what's funny is that people who come here from other metros don't understand why it's so divided. The concept makes zero sense, and it's no reason why the NIMBYs keep trying to stop any progress when they're in the minority.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BFG said:

I talked about this with someone last week who works with one of the regional offices (I forget which one). He said the biggest issue is what we've said all along: too many cities and too many leaders with different agendas. He said consolidation could happen where all or a few of the cities - let's say Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake, and Hampton - become one city, and the mayors become "borough presidents" which is how it works in NYC. You have Mayor Brown overseeing the city, then the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. have borough presidents with the same duties as a mayor.

It's doable here, but I have a better shot of hitting the Powerball every week for the next 20 years. Went to a Chamber-sponsored event a couple months ago, and Newport News's mayor basically said the same thing. It's a bummer because the city leaders see the elephant in the room, but think going to another mayor's State of the City is working together. We're still handicapped by the Seven Cities moniker - catchy as it may be - and until someone takes that chance, this area will never reach that next level. And what's funny is that people who come here from other metros don't understand why it's so divided. The concept makes zero sense, and it's no reason why the NIMBYs keep trying to stop any progress when they're in the minority.

¡1000%!  You're right.  Although I love calling Tidewater "The 7 Cities", it would be less destructive if it wasn't ACTUALLY comparable to having Philly, NYC, Seattle, Boston, Cincy, ATL and Chicago magically pushed next to one another and then expecting their potential to remain the same.  lol.

The debacle as a whole just always seemed suspicious to me.  Why haven't any other cities in THEE ENTIRE WORLD ever done the same?  If anything, quite the opposite has been done.  Cities consolidate.   Since..forever in the US. 

Interestingly enough, to the best of my knowledge Norfolk shares borders with more cities than any other city within Tidewater.  Just sayin....kinda makes sense what we would it if VA allowed it.  I wonder if it can be done on an executive level, since VA doesn't seem to want it.   Like, maybe just Norfolk, Portsmouth and Newport News?  Let Va Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk remain suburban cities, creating a new type of suburb.   

https://datausa.io/profile/geo/norfolk-city-va#:~:text=Norfolk city%2C VA borders Northampton,and Virginia Beach city%2C VA.

Interesting charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will never see it happen. First, you would need to get all the cities to work together and then you would need the approval of the state. None of the local leaders will want to lose power. Most of this stemmed because of Norfolk expanding and the counties agreed to become cities to stop Norfolk annex of land. We need 1 city and maybe 2 counties around it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Norva757 said:

We will never see it happen. First, you would need to get all the cities to work together and then you would need the approval of the state. None of the local leaders will want to lose power. Most of this stemmed because of Norfolk expanding and the counties agreed to become cities to stop Norfolk annex of land. We need 1 city and maybe 2 counties around it

But, and correct me if I'm wrong because I definitely could be, it was Hampton that did it first in this area. Am I trippin'?

If that's the case, then South Norfolk and Norfolk County were inspired by what is now Hampton. Same with Princess Anne County and VA Beach. 

• Like 1

I know Hampton annexed Elizabeth City County - which was Phoebus - back in the 1950s, and before that I wanna say NN annexed the town of Warwick. But I believe those were mutual agreements.

To Norva's point, the new "district presidents" would still retain the same duties a mayor would, overseeing their districts/boroughs of Chesapeake, Norfolk, etc. They could make up a regional council, which isn't unheard of. Nashville has a council of 40 members between the city and Davidson County, five of which are "at-large seats". Indianapolis has 25. You still have enough voices to represent each area.

If you started with Norfolk, Chesapeake, VB, and Hampton, that would be 35 members. Let's say a mayor is elected at-large from those four; the other three would serve on council as "district presidents" or whatever fancy title you wanna give them. I know it's all a pipe dream, but it would be so much more beneficial if the incorporated city of "Tidewater", "Hampton Roads", or "New Dominion" were a thing because money for things like light rail expansion or an arena would be spread throughout a city of 1M people. I also think it would be less of a headache for Richmond when it comes to divvying up funds.

• Like 1

who would actually start this? we would have to get a petition going and we would have to get a strong movement to make these changes. I dont think there is enough locals that would get together to change this. Most locals have too many bias against the other cities. Maybe we could do a meet up and try to get this going

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Norva757 said:

who would actually start this? we would have to get a petition going and we would have to get a strong movement to make these changes. I dont think there is enough locals that would get together to change this. Most locals have too many bias against the other cities. Maybe we could do a meet up and try to get this going

I'll do it! 🤠

• Like 1