1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

I doubt there are any actual plans for a roof to be added to the current stadium. He’s likely just throwing that out there to see how the public and the city respond to the impending financial assistance he will want for a new stadium, which will obviously happen within the next decade. 

What I find perplexing is that an architecture firm is the one that talked to the media. That seems very out of turn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

I missed the "100%" in the poll. :tw_innocent:

It's right there -> foot the bill

Pay the number at the foot. Of the bill. Which is the total. Even without understanding the origin of the phrase, it gives a strong impression of paying for the entirety of the enchillada. A question worded more neutrally/clearly might be something like "Should taxpayer money already allocated for tourism improvements in Charlotte-Mecklenburg be used to pay for part of stadium renovations?" Or even make clear that it's largely visitors to our fair city who are the taxpayers referred to in the question. But wcnc wouldn't get as many angry clicks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should taxpayer money already allocated for tourism improvements in Charlotte-Mecklenburg be used to pay for part of stadium renovations?

That's a loaded question because you are making it a fact that It will improve tourism and the funding has been acquired. All which is false or unsubstantiated no facts or studies. I think wcnc worded it right. Feel free to visit the comments section in Facebook under that article.:tw_innocent:

48 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Should taxpayer money already allocated for tourism improvements in Charlotte-Mecklenburg be used to pay for part of stadium renovations?

That's a loaded question because you are making it a fact that It will improve tourism and the funding has been acquired. All which is false or unsubstantiated no facts or studies. I think wcnc worded it right. Feel free to visit the comments section in Facebook under that article.:tw_innocent:

Nope. You missed it again. Tax money can be allocated before it is collected.  We collect targeted hotel, car rental, restaurant and bar taxes, and allocate those funds for tourism-related investments. The revenue is allocated. For tourism improvements. And there's nothing in my rewording that asserts the stadium work is certain to make an improvement. The city and county make these decisions all the time. Some projects result in a lot of improvement, and some in much less (some even do no good at all I would imagine). Whether some specific project should receive these funds is the actually interesting question here, and nobody knows with certainty that any funded project will be a success or not.

The point I was making is that it seems likely to me that the vast majority of the people saying "no" to that original question have no idea that any of these revenue streams are already set up. That there is money sitting in a fund waiting to be paid out for projects, and new revenue coming in all the time from these taxes that already exist.  It's a suspicion, but if true it makes the responses to that question less interesting. 

Two other questions I would have added are:

• Do you support using revenue from the targeted sales tax on restaurants & bars for tourism improvements in Charlotte, and if not where would you like to see that money go instead? (support, remove the tax, fund affordable housing, fund education, fund transit, fund...). 
  • Do you support using revenues from the targeted sales tax on hotel and car rental for tourism improvements in Charlotte, and if not...

It's very difficult at this point for CharMeck to get any additional sales taxes approved by the NC legislature. So I do think it's wise for us to keep the ones we have in place given the many needs in our community. But I do think it's worth a frank discussion within the community to decide how we should allocate future funds from those special taxes. And for the record, I'd much rather see that money from those two categories go to housing/education and transit, respectively, rather than an improved stadium. 

I wonder how much the Convention Center Renovations and the newly dedicated $110M to MLS HQ is going to hamstring the Tourism funds for?

Theres so much more that needs funding like that recent article about the Discovery Place Museum Renovation or Replacement.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Would it not make sense to have both Charlotte MLS and NFL headquarters at the same place that being Rock Hill or East Land Mall area?

Then you couldn't get tax incentives from two different states and municipalities. #SpreadTheWealth

38 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Would it not make sense to have both Charlotte MLS and NFL headquarters at the same place that being Rock Hill or East Land Mall area?

He is buttering up the city with the MLS HQ at Eastland Mall.  When it comes time for a new stadium, its a whole lot better to show good faith that you are spending money in CLT and redeveloping a major issue for the city, even if it isn't NFL related.    The Eastland site isn't anywhere big enough for what they are planning (up to 1000 acres). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GSOstrong said:

So I know I’m behind but are the panthers leaving Charlotte? Or are they only building a practice facility in SC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a practice facility. Tepper would be committing suicide for the fanbase if he moved the stadium to SC

Edited by Guest