15 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Doesn't Mr. Tepper have enough money to pay for decent turf?

My team used to be Washington and I remember complaints about their turf a lot. They probably haven't fixed it.

Edit: Sorry, I thought their turf was natural grass.

There is nothing wrong with our turf.  "FieldTurf products are already used in five other NFL stadiums (Atlanta, Detroit, New England, Seattle, and New York Giants/Jets) and 11 other NFL practice facilities (those six teams plus Green Bay, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Washington)."  

If no one noticed, it was 9 degrees the morning of the game and 20 at game time.  My natural grass  (and dog poop) out back was also frozen solid.  That's what happens when temps go well below freezing for 24hrs.  Boo Hoo that it was hard at 9am for their walkthrough while it was still in the shade.  

This was a case of sour grapes by a couple of Lions after they got embarrassed. 

Fun fact: Panthers play on turf 14 of 17 regular season games this year and 2 of 3 pre-season.  Half the league has artificial turf stadiums.  Most Super Bowls are played on turf.  Players may not like playing on it but it isn't going away. Domes will have it. Two team stadiums in our two biggest cities will have it.  MLS shared stadiums will have it.   The US isn't full of stadiums in the desert where they roll the field in and out of  stadiums into perfect weather. 

The "Blame Tepper for everything" is getting old.  The only way we were getting MLS was with turf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

There is nothing wrong with our turf.  "FieldTurf products are already used in five other NFL stadiums (Atlanta, Detroit, New England, Seattle, and New York Giants/Jets) and 11 other NFL practice facilities (those six teams plus Green Bay, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Washington)."  

If no one noticed, it was 9 degrees the morning of the game and 20 at game time.  My natural grass  (and dog poop) out back was also frozen solid.  That's what happens when temps go well below freezing for 24hrs.  Boo Hoo that it was hard at 9am for their walkthrough while it was still in the shade.  

This was a case of sour grapes by a couple of Lions after they got embarrassed. 

Fun fact: Panthers play on turf 14 of 17 regular season games this year and 2 of 3 pre-season.  Half the league has artificial turf stadiums.  Most Super Bowls are played on turf.  Players may not like playing on it but it isn't going away. Domes will have it. Two team stadiums in our two biggest cities will have it.  MLS shared stadiums will have it.   The US isn't full of stadiums in the desert where they roll the field in and out of  stadiums into perfect weather. 

The "Blame Tepper for everything" is getting old.  The only way we were getting MLS was with turf.

This thread may have gotten Tepper specific but to be fair the NFLPA has provided measures that show non-contact injuries are more susceptible on turf then natural grass.  And in MLS/USL, some big name stars such as Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba would sit games that were played on FieldTurf.  Unfortunate for Inter Miami they couldn't come to terms with Messi, but it wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility to think he'd have sat out the Charlotte FC match when they come to town.

You are correct Tepper is money motivated and part of that was to ensure the MLS investment was a success and an easy way to help that is reduce field maintenance costs and move to turf.  Which also makes hosting events lower cost and even possible (thanks for bringing live music to NC, David).  But I think for the guys putting their bodies on the line, stats show they're more likely to get injured on one type of surface it's totally valid commentary that should be investigated as any other workplace safety complaint.  Especially when one of the loudest voices opposed to our turf is on our own team (DJ Moore).

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field

The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

https://theathletic.com/3647564/2022/10/04/nfl-injury-grass-artificial-turf/

A 2019 study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine points out, “playing on artificial turf increases the risk of lower-body injury” and that “field surface has a causal effect on injury rates due to synthetic turf’s lack of ability to release an athlete’s shoe.”

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

You are correct Tepper NFL is money motivated

But I think for the guys putting their bodies on the line, stats show they're more likely to get injured on one type of surface it's totally valid commentary that should be investigated as any other workplace safety complaint.  Especially when one of the loudest voices opposed to our turf is on our own team (DJ Moore).

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field

https://theathletic.com/3647564/2022/10/04/nfl-injury-grass-artificial-turf/

FTFY. 

Again...14 of 30 NFL stadiums are artificial turf.  4 of the past 6 Super Bowls played on turf.  5 of the last 8 NCAA championships.  Almost all of the conference championships and playoff games.  Its only an issue when a team sucks, players complain, and writers need something to print that gets attention.  If we were winning, I can guarantee no one would say a peep.  

Would all NFL players prefer to play on a pristine bermuda grass field in September?  I am sure they would.  You know what bermuda looks like post-Thanksgiving in any state north of SC?  It's dormant.  It's brown (they paint it green in winter).  It has no give.  It doesn't repair itself.  It doesn't last.  It's nothing like the same grass field in September.

Its NOT a Tepper / Panthers problem.  Is it an NFL problem?  Well if it is, that's on the NFL and NFLPA to correct or at least say you must xyz field.  But I am pretty sure Jerry Jones isn't going to blow up ATT Stadium so that they can put in grass.  Bermuda isn't going to grow with a 75yrd wide hole in the roof nor is it in any dome. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

FTFY. 

Again...14 of 30 NFL stadiums are artificial turf.  4 of the past 6 Super Bowls played on turf.  5 of the last 8 NCAA championships.  Almost all of the conference championships and playoff games.  Its only an issue when a team sucks, players complain, and writers need something to print that gets attention.  If we were winning, I can guarantee no one would say a peep.  

Would all NFL players prefer to play on a pristine bermuda grass field in September?  I am sure they would.  You know what bermuda looks like post-Thanksgiving in any state north of SC?  It's dormant.  It's brown (they paint it green in winter).  It has no give.  It doesn't repair itself.  It doesn't last.  It's nothing like the same grass field in September.

Its NOT a Tepper / Panthers problem.  Is it an NFL problem?  Well if it is, that's on the NFL and NFLPA to correct or at least say you must xyz field.  But I am pretty sure Jerry Jones isn't going to blow up ATT Stadium so that they can put in grass.  Bermuda isn't going to grow with a 75yrd wide hole in the roof nor is it in any dome. 

Yes I agree this isn't Panthers-specific. I have been seeing growing complaints about turf fields in the NFL as a whole, citing many other stadiums. This past weekend was one of the first times I've heard BoA specifically mentioned. The NFLPA may try to do something about this on a league-wide basis in the coming years is my guess. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that the bids to by the Commanders have come in lower than expected ($7 billion was assumed, but apparently no one has bid above $6.3 billion yet). The unexpectedly low price is probably a product of  Washington's tragedy of a mockery of a dumpster fire. But if this gets interpreted as a top in NFL team values, I wonder if it will impact Tepper's decision making about new facilities? (probably not, but its fun to think about). The article also seems to be telegraphing the lowest winning bid price to Bezos but whatever....

As an aside, last Monday's NCAA championship game was the first I watched from SoFi. I was kinda shocked that it could rain inside that place. Go Dawgs!

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/16/surprise-bids-for-the-washington-commanders-lower-than-anticipated-jeff-bezos/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/chicago-bears-officially-close-on-purchase-of-arlington-international-racecourse-property/3073613/

Chicago Bears close on the former Arlington Park Horse track property for their domed stadium. Statement today said they would not ask public money for construction but perhaps 40 year tax abatement, infrastructure, assistance on nearby development projects, and much more. Public purse will be essential. Interesting if mix of non-Chicago legislators and Chicago area legislators all opposed to the idea (for differing reasons) will scuttle the deal. The property seems to have good development potential regardless of future plans. Maps says it is 34-38 miles from Soldier Field. 58 minutes by Metra train (approx).

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Pretty cool reuse of the current Jaguars Stadium which actually opened a year earlier then BOA.  It'll be interesting to hear the price tag of these renovations, earlier in the year articles were saying up to $1B but that was when they were in the processing of still developing early plans

https://1stdowntownjacksonville.com/

2023_0607_StadiumoftheFutureRendering-1.jpg

Current state for reference 

Step Inside: TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida - Ticketmaster Blog

On 2/17/2023 at 12:03 PM, Reverie39 said:

Floating practice facility on Lake Norman. That'll raise our value.

Meant to say it before but what about Northlake?  Incorporate some of the existing structure into the new team HQ, reimagine the retail to be more like the Battery, the Star or whatever other billionaire team owners sterile retail center you prefer :)

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Pretty cool reuse of the current Jaguars Stadium which actually opened a year earlier then BOA.  It'll be interesting to hear the price tag of these renovations, earlier in the year articles were saying up to $1B but that was when they were in the processing of still developing early plans

https://1stdowntownjacksonville.com/

2023_0607_StadiumoftheFutureRendering-1.jpg

Current state for reference 

Step Inside: TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida - Ticketmaster Blog

Meant to say it before but what about Northlake?  Incorporate some of the existing structure into the new team HQ, reimagine the retail to be more like the Battery, the Star or whatever other billionaire team owners sterile retail center you prefer :)

Would love to see the Panthers stay at BOA and continue to renovate the facility. Its a solid stadium and in a great location, plus Tepper should not be given a dime of public money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know when Tepper might announce renovation plans? I assume it might be after the NC budget is passed to extend the hotel tax, but don't when that is supposed to happen.

It is crazy to me we are so far from Rock Hill initially being announced and later falling apart, and now are basically have the same HQ/training facilities as when Richardson owned the team.

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Does anyone know when Tepper might announce renovation plans? I assume it might be after the NC budget is passed to extend the hotel tax, but don't when that is supposed to happen.

It is crazy to me we are so far from Rock Hill initially being announced and later falling apart, and now are basically have the same HQ/training facilities as when Richardson owned the team.

Budget is scheduled for a vote next week

• Thanks 1

The CBJ had a good article on the stadium situation this morning. Some of the comments made me think back to the land Tepper bought near the stadium. I think the assumption was it would be for the entertainment district, but I wonder if they could use it for a team HQ and upgraded training facility? You would probably have to shuttle players to the practice field via golf cart, but they do that currently. Maybe that is too far, but just a thought.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/12/18/tepper-buys-land-near-bofa-stadium.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/09/08/nfl-carolina-panthers-bank-of-america-stadium.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=4#cxrecs_s

image.png.56c7f775c276a4ec8af7d87e9f9a3d76.png

image.png.eb891a845f1d71e171cf0790f3edc7f7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

The CBJ had a good article on the stadium situation this morning. Some of the comments made me think back to the land Tepper bought near the stadium. I think the assumption was it would be for the entertainment district, but I wonder if they could use it for a team HQ and upgraded training facility? You would probably have to shuttle players to the practice field via golf cart, but they do that currently. Maybe that is too far, but just a thought.

I was told Tepper was planning a 4-5000 seat amphitheater as an anchor to the entertainment district on this property. That could have changed after Rock Hill flopped, I'm not sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I was told Tepper was planning a 4-5000 seat amphitheater as an anchor to the entertainment district on this property. That could have changed after Rock Hill flopped, I'm not sure. 

Could Uptown support two separate 5,000 seat amphitheaters (Skyla being the existing)? 

• 5 months later...

Updates to the project reported in the Biz Journal reflect the expansion happening on the other side or current practice field, behind Johnson & Wales buildings, and connecting to 4th Street.  Project is expected to include a fieldhouse with up to 5,000 seats, as well as other amenities.

"The size of the field house is not disclosed in the application but some details included reveal that it will have indoor seating for sports and entertainment events, up to 5,000 seats “for such uses outdoors on a periodic basis,” restaurant and bar uses, retail and personal services, some interior offices, mobile food and retail, among other features."

Given the limited width of the additional lot, my guess would be parking and outdoor surfaces would be on new lot, while the field house and remaining fields and items would be built on the existing practice site.  Given training camp will be in Charlotte, this should move pretty quickly, or 2024 may have to be moved to somewhere else in the city.

• Like 2