Bridgestone Arena: further development of property

markhollin

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

Looking at these old pictures of the arena reminded me of something about its exterior lighting. Remember when it had spotlights on the roof that beamed up into the sky? Are they still used?

I loved those! I’m guessing they were sacrificed in the furtherance of the cause of the “dark skies” movement.

I know I’m about to go out on a limb that’s probably going to break, but I’m just not buying into this “Dark Skies “ thing. I can fully support and understand such a move out in the country, but cities are meant to be bright and vibrant. There’s plenty of open dark spaces around, and why is it so important anyway? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I know I’m about to go out on a limb that’s probably going to break, but I’m just not buying into this “Dark Skies “ thing. I can fully support and understand such a move out in the country, but cities are meant to be bright and vibrant. There’s plenty of open dark spaces around, and why is it so important anyway? 

I too am curious to know more about this initiative.  I love a good dark sky... I mean, who isn't... been to some great dark sky parks around the country!  But like you said Luvemtall, a city isn't expected or meant to have a dark sky... and even if you did shut off ALL non-essential lighting in a city like Nashville, you'd still have an orange-ish hue to the night sky, so why bother?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somewhat relevant to the discussion of dark skies... I have this for Death Valley but you can zoom out and see anywhere. Pretty amazing once you zoom out and see the eastern half of the US vs. the west.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9.29&lat=36.6865&lon=-117.1690&state=eyJiYXNlbWFwIjoiTGF5ZXJCaW5nUm9hZCIsIm92ZXJsYXkiOiJ3YV8yMDE1Iiwib3ZlcmxheWNvbG9yIjpmYWxzZSwib3ZlcmxheW9wYWNpdHkiOjYwLCJmZWF0dXJlc29wYWNpdHkiOjg1fQ==

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I loved those! I’m guessing they were sacrificed in the furtherance of the cause of the “dark skies” movement.

Haha so that’s why Nashville is so lacking for exterior lighting on its towers.  

On 1/22/2024 at 8:58 PM, TNinVB said:

Looking at these old pictures of the arena reminded me of something about its exterior lighting. Remember when it had spotlights on the roof that beamed up into the sky? Are they still used?

I could be wrong , but I thought they were only turned on when the arena was in use.   Are they not even doing that anymore?

The one time that lighting really stood out to me was on an evening when there was a concert being held there (I think it was Toni Braxton and Kenny G when they toured and performed together).  I believe it was the winter of 1997.  It snowed that night as well and remember when the concert was over and people were walking out many stopped to look up at those lights because it was magical to see how it created the appearance of snow columns.  A group of us walked over to the Renaissance for cocktails on the bridge bar over Commerce St.  and there was still a lite snow falling when we left so I drove down Broadway to take in the site again before heading home.  Others appeared to be doing the same.  I think the Tennessean had a photo in the paper the next day as well.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GregH said:

I don't know where they are but someone downtown still uses spotlights, I can see them sometimes from my house in West Nashville when it's cloudy.

There are/were 6 of them. They were stationary and basically beamed straight up into the sky. Looked pretty cool from afar when lit. 

IMG_2087.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/26/2024 at 11:16 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Finally found an old internet pic (rendering?)

IMG_2090.jpeg

Yes! I was trying to find that with no luck. 

On 1/26/2024 at 11:16 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Finally found an old internet pic (rendering?)

I never really thought about this until seeing this picture, but intentional or not, the 6 lights look like the strings on a guitar fret. 

Edited by TNinVB

• 2 months later...