The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

While I typically agree with the majority rules arguement, In many ways within the world of urban development, the majority is a senseless mob that has no idea what they want/talking about. Similar to the folks who scream NIMBY at the folks against density (or tall buildings), folks have the recourse to scream NIMBY who are against a complete transit (ALL transit, not just Mass Transit) infrastructure. Nashville needs to improve their Mass Transit system, for sure, but we also need to improve our overall transit system. 

Brother I’m with you, I’m really for all these changes mentioned here over the last few days. I can picture a city as you and many vision , all my years driving this country has been an eye opening experience. Yes , for sure the priorities of the masses are tainted, brainwashed IMO to a skewed narrative. I’m just voicing my concerns and opinions that it’s going to be very hard to overcome this mindset and get enough people on board to make the change. Right now the political landscape has unfortunately made things harder, so many are focused on revenge for even minute differences that it’s interfering with sound judgement as we have witnessed that with the bad blood between The State and Metro. I just feel that without getting bipartisan cooperation and support from everyone involved, it’s impossible for this country to get to where we want to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

I'm for mass transit, and mass transit options, but education of folks is the key. What does Nashville mass transit look like now? Buses slowly moving down roads making stops every 100 yards. Why would average folks, of any age, opt for that over their own car? Most folks have no frame of reference for speedy bus lanes or light rail. When doing anything toward mass transit is presented as taking away something (traffic lanes) they use now, I think winning them over is hard. 

The key problem is that your car can go from your home directly to any location that has a road to it which is pretty much anywhere whereas there's no mass transit system that can do that.  In order to make mass transit competitive it's going to have to have transit centers within a reasonable distance to most of the population in a metro area, be able to quickly move you to a central hub (probably near or in a downtown area) and then move you to another transit center that's very close to your destination.  That's no small task and it's still going to probably require you to drive to a park and ride.  Sitting in slow moving traffic in a car by yourself is still the only way of getting to most destinations.  The only time I had access to fast mass transit was when I moved to an apartment next to a park and ride location in Seattle that had express buses that went right downtown which was a short walk to work.  Our existing design of bus routes is a joke and will only work for a very small percentage of commuters who happen to live near one end and work at the other end.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think once the subsidization of parking starts changing, no more parking minimums for example, free and crazy cheap parking everywhere will start to dwindle. 

People would balk at the price of parking if wasn't subsidized as much as it is

That won't offer drivers any other alternative to driving, it will just make driving more expensive and annoying than it already is.  We need to redesign the whole transit system!   

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think once the subsidization of parking starts changing, no more parking minimums for example, free and crazy cheap parking everywhere will start to dwindle. 

People would balk at the price of parking if wasn't subsidized as much as it is.

This isn't a complete thought, I had more but got distracted and forgot, oops.

The amount that governments have directly and indirectly subsidized the cheap storage of cars has not been reckoned with by anyone except obscure academics until very recently. The abolition of parking minimums throughout the UZO was a crucial first step and I hope Metro Council can keep up the pressure somehow--parking maximums, eliminating on-street parking and/or smart pricing based on demand, and UZO-wide upzoning. I just wish we could move more quickly on this which is why I'm so disappointed in the 10-year time frame that NDOT has laid out for Connect Downtown. 

10 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

That won't offer drivers any other alternative to driving, it will just make driving more expensive and annoying than it already is.  We need to redesign the whole transit system!   

It's impossible to have both. If you want a reliable transit system, you have to start making driving and parking more difficult

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nashvillain_too said:

It's impossible to have both. If you want a reliable transit system, you have to start making driving and parking more difficult

I strongly disagree with that.  It sounds like you want to punish drivers for simply trying to get where they need to go without presenting a reasonable alternative.  For most drivers in the Nashville metro area they simply have no other way of getting around except for driving.  You might also consider the fact that having a hostile attitude towards those drivers will also cause a feeling of mistrust in the general public towards mass transit in general.  I commuted for many years in a few different cities and like many people I chose mass transit where it existed and drove in cities where it didn't! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just as MontanaGuy mentioned, trying to punish people because they choose to drive isn’t the answer. This harks back to my above statement on today’s political landscape, it’s just not the obvious blue-red rhetoric but apparently on every issue. Yeah, having a great multi modal transportation network including ALL forms of transit be it walking, biking, rail, bus and yes automobiles is essential for a healthy environment and I do agree that this city, state and country are failing on multiple levels. But these harsh statements about making it more expensive and prohibiting parking to those who choose to drive are absurd. this is supposed to be a democracy for all the people, to have the right to choose their own decisions based upon their choices. If you disagree with something, find another solution, but don’t be negative or hateful and try to punish others for their choices. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

My understanding is that the city helps provide parking for many downtown companies on metro land. (like around Nissan stadium) The companies do provide parking to their employees with metro helping. I may be misstating the relationship but that is what I have heard. 

That is definitely the case but it's also a specific scenario which comes out of the existence of the stadium and the lease agreement between the Titans and Metro. I wonder how/if that arrangement will change with the new stadium

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nashvillain_too said:

That is definitely the case but it's also a specific scenario which comes out of the existence of the stadium and the lease agreement between the Titans and Metro. I wonder how/if that arrangement will change with the new stadium

I would say we are going to see much less (if not entirely gone) as the stadium agreement only requires about 400 surface parking spaces (appears to be located at the northeast corner of site plans) for stadium use such as load-in and load-out and probably athlete type parking. The other lease required parking spots are going to be within developments around the stadium so that will presumably have a private building owner (because Metro will only own the land) setting the parking rates. 

This is a pretty radical idea, but maybe the intent of the East Bank would be to tie into an overall transportation network that would move people from those parking spots to their office building or a location adjacent/near to their final destination. Anybody know of such a system being implemented anywhere?

• Like 2

October 1904, New York City’s subway system started operating. The NorthEast Corridor is connected with trains ,buses and the like . the infrastructure is vast yet they still don’t have the magical solution , to safely connect a workable network of bike lanes and traffic calming solutions for every neighborhood. I understand some of the frustration and I hope that someday things change for the better. But unless anyone here is under the age of maybe 10, don’t expect to ever be able to use this fully completed network you all talk about. Like I’ve mentioned before, I’m with you on almost all of these issues. But the reality of it all is although it may one day be and I surely hope that it is , don’t expect it to be anytime soon. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nashvillain_too said:

People are worthy of respect but viewpoints have to be based on sound arguments to be worthy of consideration. 

Why do you imply that some of us, don’t have sound arguments? Do you think that everyone of your post and comments are just a perfect statement and we should all agree with your opinion? Don’t think so, we all have the same rights to make our voices heard and our viewpoints deserve equal respect, regardless if you agree or disagree. To disagree is one thing, to disrespect is another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2