The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

23 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Almost nobody pays for street parking downtown. On any given weekday you can walk past dozens and dozens of cars with the meters flashing, indicating “time expired.” There is almost no enforcement, why would anyone pay? (Of course, if I didn’t pay I would have a ticket and be towed within fifteen minutes!) 

:tw_flushed:

Bet you look at the tag, its a handicap tag or there is a handicap placard hanging on the mirror. They always park free.

I'm dumb when it comes to this but why can't we do like California and put a train in between the eastbound and westside sides of the interstates? I assume the state already owns the land. I-40 and I-24 would cover cities. Seems simple enough, I'm sure it's not for reason but it seems that way.

Edited by NissanvilleTitans

1 hour ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

I'm dumb when it comes to this but why can't we do like California and put a train in between the eastbound and westside sides of the interstates? I assume the state already owns the land. I-40 and I-24 would cover cities. Seems simple enough, I'm sure it's not for reason but it seems that way.

I am sure there are places it would work, but others such as right thru the middle of the downtown areas there is probably no right of ways available. Also in areas where it is very mountainous, there’s could be issues as there may not be a good place for the tracks. 

I do think the right of way is that wide though, I am not sure, but someone may know for sure and I would be it may vary in some places. Like I 24 between the Boro and Nashville, I would bet a majority of the right of way has been used for the 8 lane. Then you have to take into account the number of bridges that would have to be built. Not a cheap option. I am just playing devils advocate here, so don’t shoot me.

• Thanks 1

Before any new commitment to develop a new passenger rail route is undertaken, at the very least, DOTs need to assess risk factors with any private of public grade (level) crossings traversed along a proposed route.   Vehicular crossings most problematic are those which are most likely to become fouled by heavy roadway equipment or commercial semi-trailer rigs, the latter of which 1) may bottom out (become centered) on elevated or depressed roadway surfaces at track level; or 2) may be located close to an intersection where a roadway closely runs parallel to the tracks and where vehicular traffic may turn onto or from the cross road to negotiate that crossing.  Local pushback always mounts, when a grade crossing is closed, but passenger fatalities occasionally if not often have pushed the scale in favor of permanent closure.  Separation of grade is often the most expensive and underfunded option.

While it may not be widely known or noted, some of the most horrific and an property-damaging incidents involve inexperienced truckers, who either get lost or who deliberately avoid prescribed routes (for any of a number or reasons).  Modern passenger-train locomotives, always provisioned to run faster than freight locomotives (where weight and tractive effort are required for revenue tonnage-hauling), are also more susceptible to derailment, when they become entangled at speed with heavy equipment or a large commercial vehicle.  Onboard passenger's lives can be put at risk, whether or not  the train derails, as a result of an incident.  

The Heartland Flyer (821 southbound, 822 northbound) serves a potential corridor between Fort Worth and OKC.  Currently a once-daily service, this corridor is candidate for two additional daily round trips of this corridor, with a proposal to extend one such run to KCMO.  The Fort Worth-OKC route is a quintessential scenario and paradigm of nationwide proposed or existing (underserved or otherwise) regional passenger-rail corridors touted for infrastructure improvements ─ whether or not any appreciable change comes to fruition concurrent with the current and next two administrations.  At the very least, the property damage that ensues almost surely will cause a shortage of available railway equipment required to protect and sustain a particular passenger service route.   New passenger cars and locomotives costs millions of dollars per unit ─ let alone the costs in material and labor to repair equipment involved in a collision or derailment, and based on the practicability and practicality of repairs.

Last Friday, 10-15-2021, Amtrak's northbound Heartland Flyer, struck a semi-trailer auto-hauler, after the rig became stuck from "centering" (bottoming out in the middle) on the track.  The collision sent vehicles and debris flying everywhere. Several passenger were  injured in the collision, when some of the shrapnel penetrated windows of the passenger railcar in tow, immediately behind the leading locomotive (with a locomotive at each end).   The lead locomotive also appeared to have become derailed while remaining upright along the gauge of the track.   A current shortage of railway passenger rolling stock might require a bit of taking from Bill in Michigan to feed Bob in Missouri, until foreign-based vendors (in particular Siemens Mobility) can deliver the newest generation of equipment.

[video - © Brandon Sampson & ABC News; photos - courtesy Love County [OK] Sheriff's Office]

242617563_4717250974986839_4942764299267735213_n.thumb.jpg.bc95c462aaf6a716fb059c5605bdf1bb.jpg

245384139_4717249131653690_2697929064365559230_n.thumb.jpg.3ea741d9915aad5211c67a7ed0b796e6.jpg

241449742_4717250594986877_8445693210829072833_n.thumb.jpg.180a7840444ab31e78fb34978680b69d.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I wonder if these crossing are marked for trucks not to even attempt to cross or if they are the truck drivers just ignore the warnings. I know there is a shortage of drivers and they are probably getting people from the bottom of the barrel, but mistake’s like this are just stupid and dangerous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I LOVE those bump-outs.  Chicago has so many intersections like that where more than two streets are converging at one point, and it turns it into a real mess for anyone not in a car.  I wish they'd do that everywhere!  The intersections should have been designed like that to begin with... but alas, the car reigns supreme, even in Chicago.  

Just riding down Lincoln you get the full experience. Nice comfortable intersections like the one above, and then intersections like Belmont where you pray you don't get hit by a car rushing to hit that left turn.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this growth plus the I-65 widening for the last day or two. On the north side of town, what will the bottleneck be once this project is completed? Ever since they widened I-65 through Madison, the choke point has been two-fold, at the Bypass exit for Vietnam Vets and the bottleneck at Long Hollow Pike through Millersville. Will this yield smooth-sailing  all the way in to the I-24 / Trinity Lane area? Will commuters headed back to Portland from the city have any slowdowns after they get under Fern Avenue?

After this, what's the next phase of construction for Nashville's interstates? Without a "top half" of 840, the downtown loop is going to get worse, not just from commuters but also the brunt of all these trucks we're adding for distribution centers. But cutting up through Sumner and Robertson Counties is probably even less appealing than Marsha's double-decker interstate proposal, right?

Forgive me folks as I'm doing this from memory.  I believe I saw here on UP that all of I-65 from the end of the currently wide (6-8 lane) stretch to Long Hollow Pike(?) all the way up to the KY line will be widened to 6 lanes in 3 roughly simultaneous segments.  This first one from the border south is approximately 10 miles. I think the whole distance is 25 miles. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Forgive me folks as I'm doing this from memory.  I believe I saw here on UP that all of I-65 from the end of the currently wide (6-8 lane) stretch to Long Hollow Pike(?) all the way up to the KY line will be widened to 6 lanes in 3 roughly simultaneous segments.  This first one from the border south is approximately 10 miles. I think the whole distance is 25 miles. 

From the TDOT website:

Due to the significant length of the corridor, the I-65 improvements have been separated into smaller sections or phases as noted below.

from Rivergate Parkway to near SR 41 (US 31W)
from near SR 41 (US 31W) to near SR 257 (Bethel Road)
from SR 257 (Bethel Road) to SR 25 (Main Street)
from near SR 25 (Main Street) to near SR 109
from SR 109 to Kentucky State Line - completed

The SR 25 to SR 109 is what was just awarded to Jones Brothers for the $160 million

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2