The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

19 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Pre Covid, ridership was around 1200 to 1300 per day according to a Tennessean article from last year.

I think if this ran on a continuous schedule, the ridership would be greater. Not everyone has the same work in morning, home in evening routine. I know it’s not possible, because of the sharing the tracks with fright. But it would be good to have service 24/7 for those with odd hours and weekend plans.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I'm not a huge fan of monorail due to the slow speeds; however, I agree a monorail line from the airport to downtown would be popular and the speed would be acceptable

If ya wanna get me excited, replace monorail with maglev!!

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

A monorail from the airport to downtown would be so popular and also amazing.

Raise it up and right down the middle of the interstate. Elevated would be so cool looking.

I think a lot of locals might be on board with this, too. "Take the tourists off the roads. The roads should be for locals". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I think if this ran on a continuous schedule, the ridership would be greater. Not everyone has the same work in morning, home in evening routine. I know it’s not possible, because of the sharing the tracks with fright. But it would be good to have service 24/7 for those with odd hours and weekend plans.

I believe they actually cut back their schedule because they would've had to improve the rail line with a positive train control (?) system and this was a bigger investment than they were capable of/wanted to make, so they actually reduced their frequency to avoid the investment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I believe they actually cut back their schedule because they would've had to improve the rail line with a positive train control (?) system and this was a bigger investment than they were capable of/wanted to make, so they actually reduced their frequency to avoid the investment.

That makes sense. It’s kinda like the chicken and egg question, what comes first the investment or the ridership? But in this case, you can’t get the ridership if you don’t make the investment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I think a lot of locals might be on board with this, too. "Take the tourists off the roads. The roads should be for locals". 

LOL

Do you not remember the Whites Creek/Bellevue/Neelys Bend people who started violently shaking when they learned that money would be spent on other parts of town in the last transit proposal?  They will literally poop in their own mouths if something is proposed that 'only benufits toorists'.

3 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

LOL

Do you not remember the Whites Creek/Bellevue/Neelys Bend people who started violently shaking when they learned that money would be spent on other parts of town in the last transit proposal?  They will literally poop in their own mouths if something is proposed that 'only benufits toorists'.

It's for this reason that a successful push for public transportation in Nashville will have to contain two components: one that cleans up tourist congestion (whatever the feasible version of airport monorail and downtown subway is) and one that alleviates rush hour snarl (BRT or light rail down the Pikes).

• Like 4

Well, all I can say I will believe it when I see it. The on demand services for the disabled run by Metro is a disaster as a friend of mine has a brother that uses this service all the time and has been left to fend for himself many times after being told the service has stopped or there will be an two hour wait and then after waiting the service has stopped and he has had to call his sister to drive across to town to pick him up.

Lets see how this service works. My guess is this will be a disaster especially if the demand outstrips the available resources of Metro. If you have 50 people calling from various parts of the services routes with only two vehicles being used to pick riders up, someone is going to be left waiting. I hope it works, but I have serious doubts based on past performance of other Metro services.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee could receive $7 billion for roads and bridges out of the $110 billion investment in roadwork across the country that is part of the $1.2 trillion nationwide infrastructure investment bill waiting to be passed  in congress.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2021/10/14/biden-infrastructure-bill-could-bring-7-billion-tennessee-roadways/6041494001/?utm_source=tennessean-Daily Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=hero&utm_content=1056TN-E-NLETTER65

Any of those dollars available for mass transit improvements/creation???

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, smeagolsfree said:

What’s even worse is Metro has not caught up with the 21st century as far as parking apps go. You still have to feed nickels, dimes, and quarters into machines. Who carries change any more.

this is true I noticed your old meters in downtown my last visit.  Savannah, Charlotte, Raleigh all take credit cards and have one station per block makes it easy.   This is a Charlotte based company that does just that across the country  Passport Parking App - Park. Pay. Be on Your Way. ©    Our meters are so honest that since parking is free downtown after 6 pm they will only allow you put in enough till 6 pm.    I bet if they went to more modern parking collection system the money would skyrocket since you dont have to worry about broken meters and so forth. 

• Like 3