Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Williams Sonoma at Haywood Mall is closing. Ouch.  What happened?  That store has been in Greenville for 28 years.  And is Pottery Barn (owned by the same parent company) also closing?

They might as well. Greenville can’t support high end retailers. That’s why Brooks Brothers, Michael Kors, Coach, Ann Taylor, etc all packed up and left town over the last few years. We all love Amazon and Target too much in this town. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

They might as well. Greenville can’t support high end retailers. That’s why Brooks Brothers, Michael Kors, Coach, Ann Taylor, etc all packed up and left town over the last few years. We all love Amazon and Target too much in this town. 

Brooks Brothers went bankrupt (or something) and even its flagship store in Manhattan closed.  If a bankrupt retailer closing a store means that the area can’t support high-end retailers, then Manhattan can’t, either.  (And of course Manhattan can, so your statement is inaccurate.)

And Ann Taylor is high-end?  Locations in Manhattan closed as well due the parent’s financial struggles, too.  That’s not a Greenville issue.

Haywood may be having some issues but that may be due to issues affecting malls generally.  Or maybe Haywood isn’t able to keep up with other retail areas. Downtown certainly supports higher-end retail.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Williams Sonoma at Haywood Mall is closing. Ouch.  What happened?  That store has been in Greenville for 28 years.  And is Pottery Barn (owned by the same parent company) also closing?

Who goes to Williams Sonoma when you have Homegoods and Target?  Same with Bed Bath and Beyond another victim that is looking like it is not long for this world. W-S never looked busy to me even when  they were in Greenville Mall before moving to Haywood. Haywood needs to relocate some stores around now to create a vacant  space large enough to accommodate H&M.

Edited by vistatiger

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

This is a pretty ignorant statement based on opinion not facts. Again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Who goes to Williams Sonoma when you have Homegoods and Target?  Same with Bed Bath and Beyond another victim that is looking like it is not long for this world. W-S never looked busy to me even when  they were in Greenville Mall before moving to Haywood. Haywood needs to relocate some stores around now to create a vacant  space large enough to accommodate H&M.

I never considered Williams-Sonoma in the same league as Target or even Bed Bath & Beyond.

• Like 1

I never understood why anyone would pay more for a product at a store like Sonoma when it is available cheaper. W-S did not have products that were unique to them. Even “upscale” shoppers know when they can save money. The store closing in Greenville has nothing to do with our market. It has everything to do with nationwide market changes and the failure by that store to adjust. They never changed their model and therefore are having to close stores all over the nation. 

2 hours ago, gman said:

I never understood why anyone would pay more for a product at a store like Sonoma when it is available cheaper. W-S did not have products that were unique to them. Even “upscale” shoppers know when they can save money. The store closing in Greenville has nothing to do with our market. It has everything to do with nationwide market changes and the failure by that store to adjust. They never changed their model and therefore are having to close stores all over the nation. 

Yep. Sign of the times. W-S is in the midst of closing 25% of their store fleet due to increasing competition and online sales.  The ironic thing is I read Macy's says when they close a store in an area their online sales drop significantly for that area.  I guess out of sight, out of mind is true. I think brick and mortar is still important for some retailers.

I'm one however that is not going to pay $250 for a  dutch oven pot when I can go to Homegoods and buy one for $50 that's still a name brand and gets the job done but that's me.

11 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Pottery Barn is closing, too.

That means multiple large vacancies at Haywood.  Yes, they’ll be filled, but with stores of the same price point?  I’d guess that H&M would finally come to Haywood now, but that’s a step down from Williams-Sonoma.

Has this closing been officially announced?

11 minutes ago, gman said:

Has this closing been officially announced?

Internally, yes, but in the media, no.

Unrelated: since no new retailers have been announced for the Sears space, and given these closings, I would expect Haywood to redevelop it into apartments and perhaps shrink some of the interior mall space.   But that’s just unsubstantiated speculation.

Just left Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn. It looks like the mall wanted to increase the rent dramatically for WS and did not want to negotiate. Hinted that another retailer wanted the location. WS is profitable in Greenville and is actively looking to reopen in a freestanding location with PB. Hoping for a quick turnaround. This was from the district manager who was in the store today. However, although PB is looking for the same freestanding location their lease is not up and they will stay in the current location until the lease expires or the freestanding location is built. Hope they can find something soon. Looking at you Bridgeway. 

Edited by greenvilleguy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, greenvilleguy said:

Just left Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn. It looks like the mall wanted to increase the rent dramatically for WS and did not want to negotiate. Hinted that another retailer wanted the location. WS is profitable in Greenville and is actively looking to reopen in a freestanding location with PB. Hoping for a quick turnaround. This was from the district manager who was in the store today. However, although PB is looking for the same freestanding location their lease is not up and they will stay in the current location until the lease expires or the freestanding location is built. Hope they can find something soon. Looking at you Bridgeway. 

Thanks.  Not directed at you, as a general observation: if Haywood is able to command high rents and has retailers that pay high rents demanding space, why does it have so many “mom and pop” stores and vacant Sears space?

• Like 1

My guess is that another retailer wanted that spot specifically.  I also noticed the adjacent Michael Kors store that Katie’s Boutique was most recently occupying was empty as well with a sign saying they moved upstairs. Maybe whatever store that is coming in wanted both spots??  
To answer your question about how Haywood can command that… I’m not sure but I was a manager at one of the specialty stores at the mall for 8 years and the mall management and Simon are incredibly difficult to work with.  Our rent alone was almost $25K per month and in the slow months of January and February that’s almost a week’s worth of sales. Also Simon doesn’t have that much competition here so that may have something to do with it as well. 

Edited by greenvilleguy
  • Thanks 3

Thanks.  I looked at the Haywood directory and Haywood is down to a handful of stores that could be considered "upscale".  The blocks on North Main Street and the Hyatt alone have more "upscale" national retailers.

I wonder if Greenville is headed to becoming another Charleston, with the higher-end stores downtown and the malls more mid-tier.

Edited to add: Westgate Mall in Spartanburg is going into foreclosure, and Asheville Mall was given back to the lender.  With those malls in such dire straits, surely Haywood isn’t invincible.

Like I said, Greenville can’t support high end national retailers. Too many blue collar manufacturing workers here and not enough white collar office ones to support them. I fully expect Apple and Sephora to close next. On the flip side, I would much rather see downtown Greenville be successful when it comes to retail tenants than Haywood Mall. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Like I said, Greenville can’t support high end national retailers. Too many blue collar manufacturing workers here and not enough white collar office ones to support them. I fully expect Apple and Sephora to close next. On the flip side, I would much rather see downtown Greenville be successful when it comes to retail tenants than Haywood Mall. 

Your statements have zero basis in fact. You consistently use event after event to slam and denigrate Greenville, even though there may be numerous reasons for the event.

In general, constant criticism and complaining is not appealing.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Your statements have zero basis in fact. You consistently use event after event to slam and denigrate Greenville, even though there may be numerous reasons for the event.

In general, constant criticism and complaining is not appealing.  

Look at the income and education level of Greenville residents compared to peer cities and then you’ll see it is based on fact. That’s why Michael Kors, Coach, J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. all closed. Too many low paying manufacturing/distribution jobs and not enough high paying white collar ones here to support them. That’s why the airport has been stagnant also. Nobody that lives here can afford to fly anywhere. 

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

Those darn blue collar folks. We don’t need them. Seriously, and thankfully, you don’t have a clue and your comments and statements are normally way off base. Have you ever been to the Apple store? It is packed out 100% of the time. Sephora is crowded too. But, why do people visit these stores? I use all Apple products, but never visit the store. It is way too convenient to order my products on their app. My wife says the same about Sephora. Shoppers are getting much too smart to continually shop in person. If high end stores close, it will not always be because that area cannot support it. High end stores are closing and will continue to close because shoppers are watching their hard earned money and spending more time with family and friends instead of driving to buy something that can be purchase online for the same price or cheaper, and by the way, have it delivered to their door step. It’s a no-brainer. 

Edited by gman