Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Look at the income and education level of Greenville residents compared to peer cities and then you’ll see it is based on fact. That’s why Michael Kors, Coach, J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. all closed. Too many low paying manufacturing/distribution jobs and not enough high paying white collar ones here to support them. That’s why the airport has been stagnant also. Nobody that lives here can afford to fly anywhere. 

Again, all of those chains are having financial problems and closed stores around the country, including in upper-income areas.  Brooks Brothers closed in Greenwich, Connecticut and midtown Manhattan, for example.  Having “Too many low paying” jobs is certainly not a problem in those areas.

Your final two sentences are also not supported by the facts.  Your last sentence is demonstrably false: not only do I live in Greenville and pay my own way to fly a round trip each week, but GSP has a very high number of frequent flyers; just look at the upgrade lists on flights from GSP.

Your constant bashing of Greenville gets tiresome.  If you would at least make statements that are true, or offer constructive criticism, that would be an improvement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Like I said, Greenville can’t support high end national retailers. Too many blue collar manufacturing workers here and not enough white collar office ones to support them. I fully expect Apple and Sephora to close next. On the flip side, I would much rather see downtown Greenville be successful when it comes to retail tenants than Haywood Mall. 

Another ignorant post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gman said:

Kors closed at least 125 stores.

Coach closed at least 70 of its North American stores, including its flagship Manhattan location. 

J. Crew filed bankruptcy and closed at least 25 stores. They are trying to get down to no more than 150 locations. 

Brooks Brothers (Who wears a suit these days?) filed bankruptcy, closing some factories and at least 50 stores, including location in NYC, Palm Beach, D.C., Boston, and Tucson. not exactly "blue collar" cities. 

Ann Taylor filed bankruptcy and closed at least 38 locations, including many in large affluent cities.

Banana Republic and Gap closed 350 stores, including one in Chicago's Magnificent Mile. This is an interesting article on the ever changing retail landscape in Chicago. https://www.chicagobusiness.com/crains-forum-michigan-avenue/stores-close-whats-next-chicagos-magnificent-mile   

The fact is, high-end stores are struggling all over the nation, including in affluent cities. They got greedy, didn't adjust and are closing every single day. It has nothing to do with Greenville being too poor to have what you call high end stores. By the way, did you know there were over 40,000 malls in 1998?  There are presently 1,000 malls left, most struggling to stay alive. Shopping has changed my friend, and the public is better off for it. 

Why has Michael Kors been able to survive in Columbia and Augusta though? Why was Greenville singled out over those other peer cities? Coach also still exists in Columbia but not in Greenville. I guess nobody buys overpriced purses in Greenville. 

Edited by gman430

4 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Why has Michael Kors been able to survive in Columbia and Augusta though? Why was Greenville singled out over those other peer cities? Coach also still exists in Columbia but not in Greenville.

This is what's known as "cherry picking".

• Like 1

Just now, gman430 said:

Nothing cherry picking about it. I want to know why Greenville was singled out over those other peer cities. Was their lease up or is there more to the story? 

The lease being up for renewal might very well be the reason. They may drop those other cities when those leases come up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Nothing cherry picking about it. I want to know why Greenville was singled out over those other peer cities. Was their lease up or is there more to the story? 

I thought you had it figured out..."too much blue collar, not enough white collar"

gman430, I hate to be the one to point it out but...you're a "collarist"

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The lease being up for renewal might very well be the reason. They may drop those other cities when those leases come up.  

True and rents at Augusta Mall are lower than at Haywood.  And maybe a particular store got a very good deal on rent.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Why has Michael Kors been able to survive in Columbia and Augusta though? Why was Greenville singled out over those other peer cities? Coach also still exists in Columbia but not in Greenville. I guess nobody buys overpriced purses in Greenville. 

You can always move to those cities if they have more of what you want. I'll take what we have here.

• Haha 1

I would much rather see Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn go downtown like at Camperdown than Bridgeway Station but that’s just my opinion. 

810 Billiards & Bowling will be opening this month. 

I noticed a building permit was issued February 24th for the old Saltwater Kitchen space. This is where Texas de Brazil is going. After Williams Sonoma and Banana Republic it looks like there will be nine empty spaces total including the old Sears. That’s really not that bad. The food court looks to be 100% filled also which is good to see. 

Edited by gman430

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

I would much rather see Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn go downtown like at Camperdown than Bridgeway Station but that’s just my opinion. 

810 Billiards & Bowling will be opening this month. 

I noticed a building permit was issued February 24th for the old Saltwater Kitchen space. This is where Texas de Brazil is going. After Williams Sonoma and Banana Republic it looks like there will be nine empty spaces total including the old Sears. That’s really not that bad. The food court looks to be 100% filled also which is good to see. 

Where is this located?

On 3/2/2023 at 10:32 PM, gman430 said:

Verdae would make a lot of sense among it's new retailers that have relocated there  (Hales and Smith&James)

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, vistatiger said:

What the heck is that?   Office on top of retail stores?

I think it’s a department store and the bottom portion of it where it’s not glass is a parking garage with retailers surrounding it on the outside. Who knows when or even if this project will happen. Knowing Simon, they will probably drag their feet and the site will look the same ten years from now. Hope I am wrong though.