B Tower (5th Street Retail Infill Building)

CLTProductions

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

Southpark is very tiny compared to all major city’s “Luxury Malls” look it up. And you may not know but stores surrounding the mall not attached are included in the square footage. So for the mall itself it is not big at all.  But Northlake is where the Apple store shouldn’t be. 

No. SouthPark is bigger than every mall in Orlando, Baltimore, St. Louis, Denver, Tampa, Detroit, etc, etc, etc. SouthPark’s square footage is made up of the entire enclosed mall and the Village at SouthPark, both of which are owned by Simon Property Group. It’s one of the largest malls on the East Coast, not tiny by any means, especially in comparison to our peer cities. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

No. SouthPark is bigger than every mall in Orlando, Baltimore, St. Louis, Denver, Tampa, Detroit, etc, etc, etc. SouthPark’s square footage is made up of the entire enclosed mall and the Village at SouthPark, both of which are owned by Simon Property Group. It’s one of the largest malls on the East Coast, not tiny by any means, especially in comparison to our peer cities. 

I agree.  Here in San Diego our biggest upscale mall is Fashion Valley.  Here are some comparison statistics:

FASHION VALLEY

1,720,533 square feet 

196 stores

5 anchor tenants 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_Valley_Mall

SOUTHPARK

1,678,376 square feet 

177 stores

6 anchor tenants 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SouthPark_Mall_(Charlotte,_North_Carolina)

Based on these stats, the two malls seem fairly comparable in size and nobody here in San Diego thinks of Fashion Valley as "tiny."

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

That’s my point. It’s only that large because of the stores that surround it because there is no way in hell you can tell me the the two story Northlake mall is half the size of that one story Southpark mall. 

56 minutes ago, Eightane said:

It sounds to me like you're comparing SP to absolute mega-draw malls like Houston's Galleria, Atlanta's Lenox/Phipps etc. when those cities have easily twice as many people in their metro areas (and usually more than twice as many tourist-type activities or reasons for a mall to get even more traffic from vacationers and not *just* the local shoppers. Huge luxury meccas are something Charlotte has not yet reached the tier to support or possess so I don't see why that should be a mark against SP or even necessary to mention.

I do agree an Apple store would do relatively well in uptown, but as someone said before (and I'm currently too lazy to scroll up and check, hah) what Apple THEMSELVES would care about is whether a new Apple store in Uptown would do as well as a suburban location, and given the nature of our city's activity, when it happens and what kind, they could not right now assert that it would. Business is inherently sociopathic, which in this case means they have no higher duty towards placemaking in Charlotte if it conflicts with their profit margins.

TL;DR I also want an Apple in Uptown but I don't wonder why we don't have one yet, since corporations have their own priorities.

Y’all really put words in my mouth and make up stuff. I don’t wonder why uptown doesn’t have one I just said it would be a great store to put uptown that it. But y’all made that statement spread like wildfire. And I’m comparing Southpark mall saying it is small compared to all other US major cities but adding in the entire Southpark shopping center is what makes Southpark a big mall. I was only saying the enclosed portion is tiny not the stores surrounding it.  And I only said it was small because i was talking about foot traffic compared to Uptown. 

1 hour ago, j-man said:

That’s my point. It’s only that large because of the stores that surround it because there is no way in hell you can tell me the the two story Northlake mall is half the size of that one story Southpark mall. 

The purple section is the only non-enclosed part of the mall and that portion makes up less than 100k of the 1.6M square feet of the mall. You can remove the purple section (not that it makes sense to do so as it’s STILL part of the mall) and SouthPark would STILL be larger than every mall in every city I mentioned.7605-1024x714.gif

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

The purple section is the only non-enclosed part of the mall and that portion makes up less than 100k of the 1.6M square feet of the mall. You can remove the purple section (not that it makes sense to do so as it’s STILL part of the mall) and SouthPark would STILL be larger than every mall in every city I mentioned.7605-1024x714.gif

I spent 10min in the yellow section, and just that. 120 dollars for a t-shirt.  :tw_astonished:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, navigator319 said:

There is a cigar bar in epicenter and then there is that cigar bar/club across from the strip club on Tryon just before the uptown bridge. Cigars are that popular these days?

Certainly. The Tinder Box at Southpark does exceedingly well. I know one gentleman who spends over 400 dollars a week on high end cigars. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are those staggered grey aluminum panels the finished product in those areas?  That looks terrible.  Lord, I hate sounding like I'm always beotching with some of the details on this, the GB, etc. but I just want better for our town.  Someone do something not half-assed.  And if this isn't the final veneer, then I take it back.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, TheOneRJ said:

I prefer Charlotte to Orlando, but the Millenium Mall there is significantly more upscale than SouthPark.  That being said, I suspect that a lot of very rich foreign travelers shop there.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I prefer Charlotte to Orlando, but the Millenium Mall there is significantly more upscale than SouthPark.  That being said, I suspect that a lot of very rich foreign travelers shop there.

SouthPark is the bigger mall but Orlando definitely has more upscale offerings due to the tourism. The Mall at Millenia is very nice. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, TheOneRJ said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Florida_Mall

Not trying to be negative but I don’t feel any excitement about this project anymore simply because looking at it, it feels very safe, and less than an infill project. Looks decent and I love the concept but idk...it just feels like they’ll throw a couple sandwich shops up and something like a sports bar in it and call it a day. I need more progression for uptown and not the same ole same ole. Reminder* this project was announced nearly half a decade ago. Idk I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m right. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Not trying to be negative but I don’t feel any excitement about this project anymore simply because looking at it, it feels very safe, and less than an infill project. Looks decent and I love the concept but idk...it just feels like they’ll throw a couple sandwich shops up and something like a sports bar in it and call it a day. I need more progression for uptown and not the same ole same ole. Reminder* this project was announced nearly half a decade ago. Idk I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m right. 

When’s the last time Uptown built a retail specific mid rise or anything for that matter...Epicentre maybe? This project will be great I think bc it’s in our little bar district and close to the arena. A few tenants have already been announced: an Asian restaurant, cigar lounge, and upscale cocktail lounge so far. As far as infill, doesn’t get much better of a project for infill than this. Squeezed literally on the patio of Connolly’s and next to the Hearst tower. This is not a same ole same ole project imo. Same ole same ole would have been an office tower  with a giant lobby and limited to no retail, accompanied by a large parking deck. This project is a step in the right direction. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

When’s the last time Uptown built a retail specific mid rise or anything for that matter...Epicentre maybe? This project will be great I think bc it’s in our little bar district and close to the arena. A few tenants have already been announced: an Asian restaurant, cigar lounge, and upscale cocktail lounge so far. As far as infill, doesn’t get much better of a project for infill than this. Squeezed literally on the patio of Connolly’s and next to the Hearst tower. This is not a same ole same ole project imo. Same ole same ole would have been an office tower  with a giant lobby and limited to no retail, accompanied by a large parking deck. This project is a step in the right direction. 

Ok great didn’t know any of the retailers before this. Thanks for that but tbh epicenter isn’t even that impressive to me. Yeah it’s a simple concept that does bring lost of people out but for the amount of retail spaces it is still underwhelming. Like why is there a CVS or whatever it is in the middle of an entertaining development? I think there just needs to be more variety than just a bunch of chain restaurants and others that sell the exact same food. But the rest of it is cool. Rooftop area and the bowling alley. 

Edited by j-man