Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

That was the city that did the work as part of the sales contract, not the developer.  To the best of my knowledge it is not breaking ground any time too soon.  They originally filed for buildiner permits in October, but cancelled their review meeting in November.  No indication if it is just a delay to complete the design, or if the whole project is on hold.

I had always been under the impression that this project would not start until they completed Fountains at New Bern.

But at least they seem to have closed on the land, so that says to me that it is not shelved completely.  It would make sense that they would do it sequentially after New Bern, but I'm not sure.   I did look up once on their website but they did not list Fountains at Stonewall, so I did get concerned that it was shifted to the back burner.

CBJ reports that an Embassy Suites hotel is Going to be built adjacent to the convention center on the AME Zion Church parcel.

230 rooms, nine stories, 5-7,000 sqft of restrauant and retail on ground floor. Rendering looks appropriate for the HOF area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2013/02/15/hotel-is-in-works-near-convention-center.html?ana=e_ph_prem&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC

Edited by kermit

You can see the rendering if you click on the "View this weeks print edition" hyperlink in the CBJ.  The first seven pages of content are viewable for non-subscribers; the rendering is on the front page.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte

I have always thought Embassy Suites were cool hotels.  Maybe that's just because my family and I frequently stayed in Embassy Suites on family trips.

Edited by cltbwimob

That is appropriate for the area and I'm glad it's the generic building across the street from the Hall of Fame that is getting torn down instead of the Church a block up on Brevard.

I've met the woman who is spearheading this project many times and she is extremely nice.   I wish her good luck on this project!

I have to say, especially for an Embassy Suites hotel, that's a pretty slick looking design. I like it! It'll compliment the Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn right across from the Nascar HOF quite well. Like others have said a perfect hotel for this part of uptown. Now someone please bring that W Hotel already :)

This will almost complete most of Hilton's brands being in one general location.  Now we just need a Conrad or Waldorf to have a complete portfolio.  BTW, I always have been told the surface lot between the Hilton Charlotte and AT&T Plaza is the site of a future second Hilton tower.  Anyone else hear this?

I guess the dream of a Brevard St stroll district hasn't completely died:

(from the Observer article on the Embassy Suites)

Location was key for the developer, Beck said. The buyer liked that the site was close to the convention center and near Brevard Streeet, which city officials would like to see turn into an entertainment district.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/15/3857704/new-embassy-suites-coming-to-uptown.html

Edited by kermit

How does everyone else feel about about the Brevard st. Stroll district? I would rather see a trade, MLK or Stonewall stroll street/district.

A big hindrance to the street is the property owned by the RR company that doesn't even have a sidewalk... I don't know if I was dreaming it, but is the RR company that owns the lot forced to sell it? brevard already is a little dull with the hall of fame with what I had envisioned when this was announced. I don't know if Skye and Embassy Suites can change the dynamics too much. It seems like the dynamics are more in place with a stroll district for MLK and Trade as opposed to Brevard. Besides, it'd be nice to have a focus on uptown from east to west as opposed to North/South.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I still hope to see it happen. Whenever I see that block of older buildings at Brevard & 3rd I find it easy to visualize filling in the gap between there and the 3 or so older buildings across Trade from the Arena, even if its only on that side of the street for now due to the RR lot. This is one of the only locations uptown where I can imagine a real attempt at building the row of boutique lowrise storefronts/lofts that we so sorely lack since there would (hopefully) be a desire to maintain the feel of those existing buildings bookending it. The other streets you mentioned seem more destined for large scale apartment and office projects IMO. 

Brevard St has an adopted plan and design standards, and the City is backing that concept. It's just a matter of time before enough development happens so we can have a shot a developing a retail district there. It's probably one of the better locations for it, since it's close to everything and still has a lot of developable space.

I can't tell from the rendering, but I'm assuming this hotel will take up that entire block face. It will be interesting to see how it contributes to the retail environment and design standards on Brevard St.