Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

CBJ has picked up on the story too... a $20M renonvation at the Blake to covert to Sheraton and Le Meridien. Guess all that complaining about it from the DNC got some attention. All of the rooms will be refurbished or renovated. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/07/the-blake-hotel-to-undergo-20m.html

I hope part of that 20m is also an exterior facelift as well (and not just a kitschy paint job)

It is good though that the Le Meridien brand will now be in Charlotte.  I've stayed in them before (Manhattan) and they are a great hotel.

We'll also have the only one in the state!

Edited by Urbanity

I hope part of that 20m is also an exterior facelift as well (and not just a kitschy paint job)

It is good though that the Le Meridien brand will now be in Charlotte.  I've stayed in them before (Manhattan) and they are a great hotel.

We'll also have the only one in the state!

I'm sure that will include some exterior renovation too. Can't imagine Starwood sticking the Le Meridien brand on that building without sprucing up the outside.

Good news is with the 305 room Le Meridien and 306 room Sheraton, that means the 400 room mystery hotel is still in play.

The hotels will have a total of six restaurants, including a rooftop bar at Le Meridien. The Le Meridien tower will undergo “extensive renovations to its public areas and 305 guest rooms,” Starwood said. The rebranded hotel will also feature Le Meridien’s signature scent in the lobby.

oooo another Rooftop!

Edited by Guest

I'm sure 20m does not buy much in the way of redoing the exterior, but it would have been nice.   I suppose with chunks falling off, it is bound to at least get some repair work. 

Obviously what matters far more for the long term viability is the interior and the quality of the rooms.   I stayed often at Le Meridien in SF and the exterior stayed dated, but the interior was pretty nice, and genuinely liked the brand. 

It is still such a shame that so little has happened in 2nd Ward that it is still very isolated, but at least it does have some level of access to Metropolitan, Little Sugar Creek Greenway, and the Trade St Streetcar, although not directly adjacent. 

Are the shared underground parking, restaurants, amenities and meeting space all already in place or is this some how new construction?  I am not all that familiar with the property.

I'm sure 20m does not buy much in the way of redoing the exterior, but it would have been nice.   I suppose with chunks falling off, it is bound to at least get some repair work. 

Obviously what matters far more for the long term viability is the interior and the quality of the rooms.   I stayed often at Le Meridien in SF and the exterior stayed dated, but the interior was pretty nice, and genuinely liked the brand. 

It is still such a shame that so little has happened in 2nd Ward that it is still very isolated, but at least it does have some level of access to Metropolitan, Little Sugar Creek Greenway, and the Trade St Streetcar, although not directly adjacent. 

Are the shared underground parking, restaurants, amenities and meeting space all already in place or is this some how new construction?  I am not all that familiar with the property.

Its all there, its a MASSIVE complex.

^ It is all there however:

* the pool is pretty sad and tiny and located at the South end of the property facing McDowell.

* I am very surpirsed that anyone would call the current parking deck 'underground' as at least three stores of the deck extend up above grade.

I think this will do well for building back momentum to this area.   If the TIF can still fund the very modestly sized [Marshall] Park re-orientation/ redesign, having multiple developers or phases involved could allow the market to absorb and do something with the land rather than just have a plan on the shelf.  

• Like 1

Actually pretty excited about this project.  The scale is good, it fills out that awkward wedge of land, and effectively hide the view of the interestate there.  Design is nothing fantastic, but not horrible, and probably a step above most things going up in South End.  If it has the same look as Fountains at New Bern then it should be a nice addition.   Retail really doesn't make sense on that site, since it's isolated from any significant foot traffic except the residents there

Actually pretty excited about this project.  The scale is good, it fills out that awkward wedge of land, and effectively hide the view of the interestate there.  Design is nothing fantastic, but not horrible, and probably a step above most things going up in South End.  If it has the same look as Fountains at New Bern then it should be a nice addition.   Retail really doesn't make sense on that site, since it's isolated from any significant foot traffic except the residents there

In regards to retail, while that's true in 2013, there is no telling how prominent of a corner that could be even 10-15 years from now. With the addition of a couple offices pushing east down stonewall.

It's certainly not priority #1, but we may curse it one day.

I agree about retail, at least for the Fountains site, being walkable to all the retail at Metropolitan, but not likely a strong enough location to have retail itself.   However, I do hope the zoning rules or the proposals to buy the city/county land around the re-designed Marshall Park ought to have ground level retail in most.  At some point there will be a need for neighborhood-supporting small scale retail, even if just the standard cleaners/convenience store/deli businesses.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep...sign is going up right now. I really thought the taller tower would end up being the Sheraton, but it's the smaller one. I figured the more boutique-like Le Meridien would be there. Looks like The Blake is no longer taking reservations for the larger tower, which is reassuring that they are really doing a major overhaul before it becomes the Le Meridien.

I can't believe they didn't take off the horrible white cover-up for porte cochere on the Sheraton.  It used to be marble, which I assume is still under there.  The Blake covered it up as part of its "Miami Beach mod" look, but the Sheraton is a more traditional brand.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Just came to the realization that by this embassy suites being built... We can pretty much kiss the Brevard St. Plan goodbye. Unless the 10k sq feet of retail is facing towards brevard that is...

The flucking Brevard Street Plan was scuttled before it was even finished. The city ignored the heck out of the idealistic plans WHILE they were doing that. Why would they put a plan in the books for the long term while ignoring it for a large city project that will dominate the area that is being built while they are making those plans? The fact that they're including retail is nice, but I'm sure it will be the standard lobby level retail that most hotels have.

10k sqft is pretty significant, too much I think to be only interior-accessed, and given the 1 rendering we've seen with the entrance facing the Caldwell/MLK intersection, I think its a good bet that most of the retail DOES face Brevard. The Brevard Street Plan is still pretty much abandoned, but I think we still have good hope for sporadic retail to appear along there anyway.