Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

As exciting as the plans for Brooklyn Village are, I was still questioning whether 2nd ward was quite ready for a project like that, and am comfortable with it being pushed back. I'd rather be seeing movement in 1st ward, Gateway Station, and the gap between Uptown and Southend, and didn't expect all of them to be happening in the near term. Perhaps by the time developers set their sites on this area again, something even more ambitious or dense will make sense. 

As long as the street plans remain, I am comfortable with an alternate development plan.  I did like the plans for adding grid streets, but retaining the old trees as a large set back on 3rd, which is really the only good thing about Marshall Park.  

I am worried about Fountains at Stonewall, because that has been quiet.  

As long as the street plans remain, I am comfortable with an alternate development plan.  I did like the plans for adding grid streets, but retaining the old trees as a large set back on 3rd, which is really the only good thing about Marshall Park.  

I am worried about Fountains at Stonewall, because that has been quiet.  

And, I think there was a sign there before and now it is gone (fountains).

Now I'm second guessing whether it was ever actually on Proffitt Dixon's site or if I just remember it from Housing Studio's website. 

It was never on Proffit Dixons website. It was never actually confirmed by anyone OTHER than Meck Times. CBJ and CO only ever said that the land had been closed on. We put 2 and 2 together when we found it on the Housing Studio website.

Edited by Guest

^^ Personally, I think something else would work better in that location as that residential project seemed way to forced into that little corner shoved up against 277.
Even though It would only be a block or 2 for the Metropolitan, IMO Second Ward is not yet suitable for that type of residential project.

^^ Personally, I think something else would work better in that location as that residential project seemed way to forced into that little corner shoved up against 277.

Even though It would only be a block or 2 for the Metropolitan, IMO Second Ward is not yet suitable for that type of residential project.

And What exactly would work better? IMHO this is the ONLY thing that works in this spot. It would have been a great transition from Metropolitan/Dilworth to uptown.

I just run/bike past that little corner all the time and just think it' a poor spot for the 4/5 story type of residential project planned there. Compared to all other options and locale of current developments, as a renter I wouldn't consider it. Again IMO, I think that whole strip between stonewall and 277 is prime for future commercial property developments.

I just run/bike past that little corner all the time and just think it' a poor spot for the 4/5 story type of residential project planned there. Compared to all other options and locale of current developments, as a renter I wouldn't consider it. Again IMO, I think that whole strip between stonewall and 277 is prime for future commercial property developments.

I live 500 miles away, so I guess I cannot speak to my experience. However, I think because of the size and shape of the tract that the best possible use if either residential or something recreational. Let the rest of the more normal shaped places on Stonewall be Commercial

I think the proposed Fountains project could be better (I'm not a fan of the diagonal courtyard format that results in very little street frontage), but I see no reason to not include residential on that site right now. It is not within a block of much, but it is within 3 blocks of a lot, and while it feels like an odd spot for it right now, I think that is only because the precedent hasn't been set yet for such buildings on Stonewall. If built, I think we'll all instantly look at that strip much differently. 

I think the proposed Fountains project could be better (I'm not a fan of the diagonal courtyard format that results in very little street frontage), but I see no reason to not include residential on that site right now. It is not within a block of much, but it is within 3 blocks of a lot, and while it feels like an odd spot for it right now, I think that is only because the precedent hasn't been set yet for such buildings on Stonewall. If built, I think we'll all instantly look at that strip much differently. 

I can say I'm not a HUGE fan of the layout, but I can certainly understand why they did it. They oriented everything in that way to greatly reduce the amount of units that have a view of the highway. They also wanted the "amenity deck/courtyard to have skyline views. Makes a ton of sense to me. Unfortunately this means the product viewed from the highway will be less than ideal (the parking deck)

RVA, do you think this plot isn't prime for residential because the "back units" will face I-277 at close proximity? I could see that being a big draw for certain people. I've often looked at the Garrison lofts on Graham and imagined what the view would be of Brookshire through a story window - seems like it could feel very urban and interesting (as long as the sound proofing is good).. anyone have experience with this?   Also, there are a whole lot of people who love cars going fast in this city, surely 20+/- would consider living with that view...

RVA, do you think this plot isn't prime for residential because the "back units" will face I-277 at close proximity? I could see that being a big draw for certain people. I've often looked at the Garrison lofts on Graham and imagined what the view would be of Brookshire through a story window - seems like it could feel very urban and interesting (as long as the sound proofing is good).. anyone have experience with this?   Also, there are a whole lot of people who love cars going fast in this city, surely 20+/- would consider living with that view...

Neither of these buildings have/will have a view of the freeway. Garrison's elevator lobby and lobby are all facing the highway, only 1 unit per floor actually can see towards the highway, and its not a main window. I am pretty sure (while I haven't seen any back views, but have seen site plans) that Fountains at Stonewall is oriented the way it is so that that virtually 0 units will face the highway. 

I've often looked at the Garrison lofts on Graham and imagined what the view would be of Brookshire through a story window - seems like it could feel very urban and interesting (as long as the sound proofing is good).. anyone have experience with this?  

The Garrison Lofts windows mainly face towards the city and not the highway.  The Highway side are the hallways.

Edited by Urbanity

^^ I'm not totally opposed to something residential along there
However, I just feel like this design wouldn't really work in that spot.
Yeah this rendering looks good, but I think it wouldn't translate to a quality place to live and would feel forced.
Fountains%20at%20Stonewalll.jpg

The grade in the back up to 277 in would block all views for the firs 3/4 floors and the put the roadway directly in line of site with 4/5 floors and then that whole area still feels so sterile and this design just doesn't fit for me, maybe something more architecturally urban-inspired with 8-12 floors, but IMO this feels like a South Park/Endishy project that wandered into a corner of center city that's not quite yet ready to define itself especially with the uncertainty if Brooklyn Village, or a similar project, will move forward in that area.

Maybe I would feel different if there weren't so many other residential projects underway around town with similar design ques but, when I think of what 2nd ward is and should be I just don't think this residential development 'in it's current design' should be built there.

I mean how do you all envision 2nd Ward by 2020?

We all can feel what 3rd Ward's is becoming (soon to be everyone's favorite ward) and once Gateway is built it becomes the front door/welcome mat to the city.
But what about 2nd, will it just be filled with a myriad of this and that low/mid rise residential projects, some miscellaneous infill office buildings?

I could see residential there but ,something with more height, urban design and with actual street presence/frontage to set a president in that area. Not this.

^^ I'm not totally opposed to something residential along there

However, I just feel like this design wouldn't really work in that spot.

Yeah this rendering looks good, but I think it wouldn't translate to a quality place to live and would feel forced.

Fountains%20at%20Stonewalll.jpg

The grade in the back up to 277 in would block all views for the firs 3/4 floors and the put the roadway directly in line of site with 4/5 floors and then that whole area still feels so sterile and this design just doesn't fit for me, maybe something more architecturally urban-inspired with 8-12 floors, but IMO this feels like a South Park/Endishy project that wandered into a corner of center city that's not quite yet ready to define itself especially with the uncertainty if Brooklyn Village, or a similar project, will move forward in that area.

Maybe I would feel different if there weren't so many other residential projects underway around town with similar design ques but, when I think of what 2nd ward is and should be I just don't think this residential development 'in it's current design' should be built there.

I mean how do you all envision 2nd Ward by 2020?

We all can feel what 3rd Ward's is becoming (soon to be everyone's favorite ward) and once Gateway is built it becomes the front door/welcome mat to the city.

But what about 2nd, will it just be filled with a myriad of this and that low/mid rise residential projects, some miscellaneous infill office buildings?

I could see residential there but ,something with more height, urban design and with actual street presence/frontage to set a president in that area. Not this.

See I feel like this is the exact, entry level type project that 2nd ward needs to inspire others to invest in the area. Its the weirdest of all the parcels and the least marketable. I am amazed that someone actually bought it! 

See I feel like this is the exact, entry level type project that 2nd ward needs to inspire others to invest in the area. Its the weirdest of all the parcels and the least marketable. I am amazed that someone actually bought it! 

It is a shame we do not have a view from the back side.  It seems to me all units will be city view facing with hallways on the back side.  If that is the case, it is a great use of the space.  I believe there will be an eventual removal of the Blake Hotel, maybe over the next 5 years.  I can see that block becoming a series of high rise buildings of Avenue type construction.  That is probably more a hope than anything else, but it would be cool as the Second Ward develops.