Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

LOL. All the UP posters made RDF crack... #TeamUP

The details of this project are super exciting. The 600+ ft building with a crown is a bit of pleasent surprise. Though, I'm pretty excited to hear we may actually get up to 1000 hotel rooms. Is that one building? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Don't know any of that yet, all I know is about the office tower. It's phase 1AAA, they definitely have a tenant for the speed at which they are moving this

Maybe let's go with this, a mix of One Atlantic Center + Key Tower + One Worldwide Plaza and a TOUCH of BofA corp lol. It's a pretty great design

Can you draw us a picture? ;) 

• Like 1

It makes sense that it will have a front door to Church/Stonewall with all of the phasing that is planned. They could feasibly open the tower for business while that area is still weeds and dirt or hopefully u/c by that time. 

If I'm planning significant retail and shopping here, as a developer, this site is no different than Ikea in that it has easy on off interstate access. People traveling in from exurbs don't have to fight traffic through the center of the city and when they leave its one turn and back on the interstate. That would entail having a big parking deck too unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, HopHead said:

LOL. All the UP posters made RDF crack... #TeamUP

The details of this project are super exciting. The 600+ ft building with a crown is a bit of pleasent surprise. Though, I'm pretty excited to hear we may actually get up to 1000 hotel rooms. Is that one building? 

I think by your question, you meant are the 1000 hotel rooms going to all be under one roof or would it be split amongst several hotels.  If that's the case it looks as if you got Jayvee to give up even more details.  #interrogationtechniques

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

It will be 2 different buildings. The 603' one I reference is office only

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I think by your question, you meant are the 1000 hotel rooms going to all be under one roof or would it be split amongst several hotels.  If that's the case it looks as if you got Jayvee to give up even more details.  #interrogationtechniques

The question About a single 1000 room hotel vs multiple...

That would depend on whether they could get tax breaks/incentives/contribution towards from CRVA, CCCP, the city and the chamber, without pissing off the other hotel operators uptown. That has been the problem all along. People don't build hotels that size without some help. 

I want to post a random question.

Anyone else think it's interesting that Goldman Sachs is financing a 1M sq foot office building in a place they don't do a whole lot of investments. Things that make you go hmmmmm. Maybe the building is for a southeast operations of Goldman...k

Edited by Guest

Lets not let this post disappear.

43 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The question About a single 1000 room hotel vs multiple...

That would depend on whether they could get tax breaks/incentives/contribution towards from CRVA, CCCP, the city and the chamber, without pissing off the other hotel operators uptown. That has been the problem all along. People don't build hotels that size without some help. 

I want to post a random question.

Anyone else think it's interesting that Goldman Sachs is financing a 1M sq foot office building in a place they don't do a whole lot of investments. Things that make you go hmmmmm. Maybe the building is for a southeast operations of Goldman...k

• Like 4

Goldman Sachs also is their capital partner for Capitol Towers in South Park.....so while possible GS would look to outsource some back-office operations, I don't think this is more than a financial relationship.

GS has a huge back-office operation in Salt Lake City, though it's possible they could want an East Coast (but less expensive than NY) presence.

The one this GS is doing is getting into on-line banking (so competing with Ally).  That talent exists in Charlotte, but they they bought GE's bank, so presumably those people are already in a stable location.

• Like 1

Like I said about Tryon place (not recently, I mean even before renderings were shown) Until it's going vertical, I'm not going to get too excited. Not pessimistic, just really want this to happen. I loveeeee buildings with frowns and 200-300K retail sounds pretty sweet

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I found an official rendering of the project:

YyVATKh.jpg

I still can't believe North Korea was able to build this. Probably they tout this as the greatest achievement in their country's history, and I wouldn't be surprised if they claim this as "the world's tallest building".:ph34r:

18 minutes ago, saamh said:

I still can't believe North Korea was able to build this. Probably they tout this as the greatest achievement in their country's history, and I wouldn't be surprised if they claim this as "the world's tallest building".:ph34r:

Yeah except they started building it in 1987 and its still not open yet lol. 

On an observer note, a construction worker said it is going to take 2 months to bring the building down. At the rate theyre going I have no idea how it will take so long. Unless he meant taking it down and clearing the rubble. 

• Like 1