Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Sounds like we get a skyliner definer, if nothing else. It would be nice if the parking garage features retail around the perimeter.

It will definitely stand out in the skyline. As far as the entire site being taken up by parking, I don't think this is likely, I think parking will be scattered all over the site, but maybe not. We are in Charlotte. A giant superblock garage isn't out of the question. Wouldn't surprised be if it was just a 3 acre garage with no screening and no retail

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Sounds like we get a skyliner definer, if nothing else. It would be nice if the parking garage features retail around the perimeter.

The words "huge parking deck" has me on edge kinda. Hopefully they do it right and put something ontop of it or around it of have street level retail. Would hate to just see a massive standalone parking garage. 

2 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The words "huge parking deck" has me on edge kinda. Hopefully they do it right and put something ontop of it or around it of have street level retail. Would hate to just see a massive standalone parking garage. 

It's also prohibited per Uptown zoning. While zoning can't force it to be perfect, it's got to meet certain fenestration and storefront requirements at the sidewalk. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dale said:

Seems like they would be nuts not to include an appreciable amount of retail adjacent to the stadium.

I've been told by numerous people that this site will have a very significant amount of retail. The office tower scope is in line with the numbers i've been told all along, so I am confident that the Stonewall Corridor will be getting 450-525k sq feet of new retail over the next 8 years. This includes Northwood Ravin, the Two Crescent Projects, Profit Dixon, Lincoln Harris and Brooklyn Village. 

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've been told by numerous people that this site will have a very significant amount of retail. The office tower scope is in line with the numbers i've been told all along, so I am confident that the Stonewall Corridor will be getting 450-525k sq feet of new retail over the next 8 years. This includes Northwood Ravin, the Two Crescent Projects, Profit Dixon, Lincoln Harris and Brooklyn Village. 

Wait, I thought the Stonewall Corridor included 3,500 sq ft of retail ;)

22 minutes ago, Dale said:

Wait, I thought the Stonewall Corridor included 3,500 sq ft of retail ;)

Don't get me started on Caroline Vandergriff. The fact that she didn't question that number before reporting it speaks a lot to her abilities as a journalist.

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You guys will not be disappointed. Except maybe by the architecture...

I initially read this as a statement about the planned retail portions, but now I'm wondering if you're just talking about the tower that might be built at the corner of Stonewall and Church? Can you clarify?

3 minutes ago, jednc said:

I initially read this as a statement about the planned retail portions, but now I'm wondering if you're just talking about the tower that might be built at the corner of Stonewall and Church? Can you clarify?

Tower and Parking Deck, only.

Just now, NikolaTesla said:

By any chance, has there been a massing done of what info we have of this site? 

I drew one a long time ago on speculation alone. From what I was told my numbers were right on, but my massing WAY off. 

I drew one a long time ago on speculation alone. From what I was told my numbers were right on, but my massing WAY off. 

I'll have to search back. I'm still waiting on an updated skyline rendering whenever you have some time, i love them, but i know they take time. Hope all is well in Da NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I really don't share the enthusiasm for a stadium focused entertainment development.  I hope and pray the "retail" doesn't turn out to be a bunch of restaurants, entertainment venues, bars and nothing more.  If this turns out to be another Epicenter, this development is going to be a huge disappointment.  A couple restaurants/bars/entertainment venues is fine, but uptown has been begging so long for soft goods retailers-if it doesn't happen here then I really think we will lose our last best chance to see such retailers for years.  

This is how I feel.  I don't even care about the skyscraper.  It can be a boring, ugly, twelve story building for all I care.  Just give me good street presence and shopping retail.  Uptown desperately needs it and this is definitely our best shot at it.  Tryon Place is supposed to be the smaller, more upscale Epicentre (right?) with the several restaurants/nightlife spots included in that project.  Would by highly disappointed if there's no shopping retail in this project, regardless of how nice the tower and nightlife options are.

Edited by Higgs Boson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jayvee said:

I beg to differ. I am a fan of the architecture. Unique to Charlotte. Dated, sure....but its a good kind of dated that we need and not just another building of sheet glass. 

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lol. I like it too. I just know Urban Planet posters. If they didn't like Capital Towers, I don't think they will like this. LOL. Sounds like @KJHburg will like it though. The silhouette is pretty lovely. 

I'm assuming y'all know my architectural preferences at this point. Will I love it or hate it?

22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm assuming y'all know my architectural preferences at this point. Will I love it or hate it?

You'll be the one to love it LOL. Me assuming you don't like sheet walls of glass, modern architecture and low quality materials...this is opposite.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

This is interesting in today's Wall Street Journal an article about Goldman Sachs building up an internet banking business. Wonder where they would base such as business maybe in a city with lots of consumer and small business bankers?  Goldman Sachs is an equity partner with Lincoln Harris on this site we know that for sure. Not implying anything but very interesting. http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/08/29/wall-street-titans-reboot.html  Someone said it might not be a Duke Energy anchor so just thinking out loud here. Page C1 of the Journal today. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I've heard LH will not announce final numbers for the entire project for up to 3 months. Seems like a RIDICULOUSLY long time but it's what I was told. Hope it's not the case. 

So that puts my pipe dream of an announcement by year's end a little closer to reality! :-)