Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

As first reported here by one of our users 620 STryon is for real. Project number 367987 or search by address 620 Tryon and it will pull it up. Not much information on their but it does say Office Mega structure! https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PosseMenuName=ViewPermits  Maybe someone else knows how to pull up the plans but something big is happening! 

Projects

NumberNameOutstanding HoldsPlace Hold

Go

367986620 South Tryon St. Office Building - F / F0 

Go

367987620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Superstructure0 

Go

367988620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Core and Shell

Edited by KJHburg
More info
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, eastsider said:

So the office building will be on Tryon and not S Church?

Well this is probably just the address they will use for the entire plot, for mailings, deliveries, etc etc. It's very likely the office will sit at the Stonewall, Church corner. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

As first reported here by one of our users 620 STryon is for real. Project number 367987 or search by address 620 Tryon and it will pull it up. Not much information on their but it does say Office Mega structure! https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PosseMenuName=ViewPermits  Maybe someone else knows how to pull up the plans but something big is happening! 

Projects

NumberNameOutstanding HoldsPlace Hold

Go

367986620 South Tryon St. Office Building - F / F0 

Go

367987620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Superstructure0 

Go

367988620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Core and Shell

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 9.16.56 PM.png

Yes I was confused by that in one place it said office building core and shell and the title was mega multi family.  This is what I see in the CharMeck web permit site.  It does seem to be an office tower. 

Click Go to view permit and inspection information.   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Address Information posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Address   620 STRYON ST   posseband.gif
      Parcel #   07303201   Lot       posseband.gif
          posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Tax Jurisdiction   CHARLOTTE   Status:   Active   Block       posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Sphere Of Influence   CHAR   posseband.gif
          posseband.gif
    posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Create New Master Plan   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  GIS Property Details posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

posseband.gif
  Historic District   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Historic Property   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Floodplain   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Watershed   Watershed Name:     posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Waterfront Property   Waterfront Name:     posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  SWIM Buffer   Buffer Distance:       Ft   posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Conservation Area   posseband.gif
posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif
posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Address Permit Holds posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

Agency Agency Phone Created By Hold Reason Hold Note
There are no Permit Holds on this address

posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif
posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Address Occupancy Holds posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

Agency Agency Phone Created By Hold Reason Hold Note Additional Notes
There are no Occupancy Holds on this address

posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif
posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Projects posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

Number Name Outstanding Holds Place Hold
Go
367986 620 South Tryon St. Office Building - F / F 0  
Go
367987 620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Superstructure 0  
Go
367988 620 South Tryon St. Office Building/Core and Shell 0  

posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Requests for Service posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

Number Project Name Requested Service Description Inspection Results
There are no Requests for Service for this Address.

posseband.gif
  posseband.gif
  Master Plans posseband.gif
  posseband.gif

Report Master Plan ID Plan Project Name Status Name  
There are no Master Plans for this Address.

posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif posseband.gif
posseband.gif
Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

For sure an office tower. This is phase 1. My guess is they have an anchor, hence the speed this is happening. Why it says mega multi family I have no idea. 

Levine center for the arts was qualified as a superstructure as well. so my guess is that the office is part of the bigger "superstructure" which could contain components like retail and such. The core and shell part is very common. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

It won't be that tall sorry to say. Still will be good enough for at least a top 10 in height

I would be happy with just some distinction.  

Also interesting, to me at least, is with all of this work along Stonewall I wonder if the 'Charlotte Skyline' will change.  By that I mean the first image below is the typical shot with Duke on the left and BofA on the right.  The second image is what I think will become the new position to take the skyline shot.  Less emphasis on BofA but for sure makes Uptown look much more dense.  

charlotte_august2013_metroscenes.com_03.

charlotte_nc_apr_2011_metroscenes.com_08

• Like 2

Yes I believe they have an anchor in the speed all of this is happening and my guess is Duke Energy with a consolidation of space with Piedmont Natural Gas, 400 South Tryon office tower and maybe some folks from Raleigh offices. Developers like to be first out of the gate with a tower because that can knock another developer out for a while. Anyway it is all exciting. And we know they have the financing partner already in Goldman Sachs. 

• Like 1

Superstructure is a term for the "primary" structure of a building - foundations, steel and concrete typically. It doesn't really have anything to do with the size or type of building. 

Mega-project is a Mecklenburg county code enforcement definition that triggers over certain size thresholds, it mostly effects how the project goes through permitting and inspections. 

• Like 4

As far as height, the original poster indicated 31 stories....I think 15' per floor is pretty defined for modern office buildings in Charotte, with additional height for the lobby level, plus the mechanical/decorative roof element.

My math says 465' + 10' extra for lobby = 475' for occupied floor max height, then a pyramid I think appropriate proportion would be 10-15% additional, so call this ~530'.

That would make it 6th tallest building (after The Vue but ahead of BofA Plaza).  FYI, 1 BAC on College is 32 floors and 484' (but is a flat roof).

• Like 1

Any hype has been a product of the hopes/wishes of people on this forum.  I think Lincoln Harris (and "real estate community" in general) has done nothing to indicate that we should have grand expectations.

31 stories would certainly be the tallest office component. 

It seems like an almost certainty that we would see residential AND hotel on these 2 blocks, and we are seeing in other cities examples of both in the same building.....it's possible that configuration would be taller.

• Like 3