Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

18 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Anyone have any idea when Lincoln Harris will release their master plan for the site?

Based on the rate of demolition, as other posters have said, I think they have a tenant, so could we see another office tower going up before the end of 2017? 

I have no idea why they're continuing to be tight lipped. I, uhhhh I mean the Charlotte Agenda, was hoping to force their hand by putting out the office tower information but they're sticking to their no comment for now. They're old school so obviously going about things the old way. I imagine this will be like 300 s Tryon in the sense that out of nowhere there will be a huge announcement with tenant and plans. No clue on timeline though. But yes the office tower component (just one of the 4 or 5 large puzzle pieces) will absolutely be under construction next year at this rate. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

That was said on this forum first :)

Ha ha, did not know that, thanks. Quote from the Agenda article: "Sources are saying that this piece of the project’s GIGANTIC puzzle (trust me, it will be much more than this) will be a 31 story, 1 million square foot office building."

UP = "sources"?

Not to add fuel to the fire. But a few months ago when I was given info on this project, the total office sq footage was 1.2-1.4M. So I think 1M could be a placeholder size or their could be a second office tower. Guess we will find out. 

35 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Got some height confirmation

The pyramid is nearly 100' tall.

The building top to bottom is almost 700' tall.

Avg floor height is 15'

Base is 170' x 170' 

I suspect with that kind of height, architectural additions such as a pyramid, and the fact that this just appeared out of nowhere, that there is a very large and well-to-do tenant driving this.  Perhaps it's a major financial firm HQ relocation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I suspect with that kind of height, architectural additions such as a pyramid, and the fact that this just appeared out of nowhere, that there is a very large and well-to-do tenant driving this.  Perhaps it's a major financial firm HQ relocation.

I've also heard it's likely not a relocation but, I would most certainly assume they have a tenant. Likely a local consolidation or growth. 

• Like 1

I walked by the Charlotte Observer Site today and looked back toward BofA. I really believe LH should try to build this development as a gateway from Tryon St to the Stadium. If planned well enough, on event days, they can make it appear as though it's all part of the game day experience. When events are not going on, if it's planned well enough, then it can just be a retail destination serving uptown, SouthEnd and the region. I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to not take advantage of the proximity to the stadium itself. Of course, I realize that the number of days per year the stadium is utilized is small. It would be great if that could be increased, but even if not, this complex could serve to create a game "weekend" experience unmatched in the NFL (ok, that's maybe a bit much, but it really could be spectacular). The rest of the days it could just be a phenomenal mixed-use project with a heavy emphasis on retail and hospitality. I'd love to see a bigger Panther's Team Store take some of the retail space closest to the stadium.

Let the disagreement begin...

• Like 4

That's actually my expectation for the site anyway.  If done that way it opens a ped corridor between Tryon and Mint/Graham without utilizing Stonewall (still have to contend with Church).   It de-isolates BofA and opens the retail/dining parts of the development to foot traffic on game days from the stadium.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Okay so it actually looks like its closer to 600' than 700' which is still great. And I'll be honest guys, I'd lower expectations on the PEDscape from a Panthers/Stadium perspective. 

I wouldn't call what I posted an expectation. It's just a wish. From being there in person, it just looks like a no brainer and like it could really be something great. In the end, I know LH already has their plan and I'd be astonished if they agreed with me. For all I know, their plan is MUCH better than anything I could come up with.

I do understand your point though.