Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Did you mean the Observer? Meanwhile, according to the Observer, Lincoln Harris has yet to close on the land. An interesting bit of information (At least to me. I thought they closed on it in October)

No, I am assuming he saw the instagram post from the Agenda. They had it up before the Observer article was haha. I thought that was very interesting as well that they haven't closed on the land.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's everything I can do to resist saying something like, "NASCAR Plaza, where businesses go to die."

Whoops, just said it

That building is cursed.

Failed NASCAR Hall of Shame.

Failed Chiquita.

Inscribed with the NASCAR logo = failureface.

Does the CO have a failure wish?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HopHead said:

I hope nobody is actually surprised by this... It's been long speculated that the CO would move to Nascar tower. Made a lot sense. 

On 9/1/2015 at 6:26 PM, CarolinaCrown said:

If they're only looking for 60k sq feet I think they'll be moving down Stonewall and taking three floors of Chiquita's space.

I mean to say but didn't know if I should since I worked there, that we were quickly corralled onto 3 of the 6 Chiquita floors.  They probably got the floor space at a fraction of what new Class A office space would go for right now due to Chiquita not having any early termination clause in their lease, which probably wasn't possible due to the incentives package they received to move here.

Edited by CarolinaCrown
Words
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'd heard they were moving to the old AT&T Plaza where they would get naming rights. Now you tell me "The Foremost Newspaper of the Carolinas" will be in a building named for a stockcar racing organization? Sheesh.

Many of their subscription readers care about NASCAR - They often run NASCAR results and "That's Racin" on the front page of the Sports section and at the end of the day, North Carolina is still the South. Technically "stock car racing" is the official sport of our state - Bev Perdue signed  the bill in 2011 - so i guess it is fitting for the newspaper of the Carolinas to be there, LOL.

Edited by CLT2014

Dale, What does NASCAR have to do with sophistication? It is popular worldwide.  Many people like racing and various sports. It doesn't make them stupid or ignorant just because its roots are in the south. I remember clearly when people on this board were dying to get the NASCAR Museum and so excited when we beat Atlanta, Kansas City, and other places out of it. Seems lie people are forgetting. What do you mean, "NASCAR is coming to Ontario? It is in Ontario, California.

I saw Jim Morrill ,the CO politics writer of longstanding, at Einstein bagel on S Blvd last month. He said the rumor in his building was NASCAR building was their destination. He emphasized he had no direct knowledge, just hallway discussions, so to speak. Thus it is no surprise to the staff I assume.

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think it's cool that we have a NASCAR building. Atlanta wanted NASCAR as much as we did.

Except that it's been a failure because projected attendance figures were wildly optimistic.

And they were wildly optimistic at least partly because it's in the wrong location.

Brutondrama notwithstanding, it wold have been much better sited near Charlotte Motor Speedway.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

And this just in: NASCAR is coming to Ontario.

Not to mention Sonoma.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Except that it's been a failure because projected attendance figures were wildly optimistic.

The attendance figures were also created before the recession and the sport had been in runaway expansion mode for a little while. Tracks all over were adding seats as quickly as they could. As a large portion of NASCAR fans sit squarely in the middle class (remember that the crisis affected the middle class almost exclusively) attendance began to plummet. Tracks began removing seats so it wouldn't look so empty during television broadcasts. Unfortunately, for Charlotte, construction on the HOF was well underway by then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

Dale, What does NASCAR have to do with sophistication? It is popular worldwide.  Many people like racing and various sports. It doesn't make them stupid or ignorant just because its roots are in the south. I remember clearly when people on this board were dying to get the NASCAR Museum and so excited when we beat Atlanta, Kansas City, and other places out of it. Seems lie people are forgetting. What do you mean, "NASCAR is coming to Ontario? It is in Ontario, California.

I was making that point precisely! NASCAR has a surprisingly diverse following. And it is tons more compelling than other forms of racing. Witness F1. Environmentalists have the cars sounding like flatulent bees now.

There is just a massive negative stigma associated with Nascar (and all things southern for the most part). For some reason people from other parts of the country think Nascar fans are just a bunch of dumb rednecks. South Park actually made an episode about the negative stereotype and it was pretty spot on about people's perceptions of it. I'll never understand why people do that.

However, it is understandable that a larger tenant wouldn't want to be there considering the building is already forever branded as the Nascar hall of fame. They would probably want to have it associated with their own company like Chiquita tried to do.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

And they were wildly optimistic at least partly because it's in the wrong location.

Brutondrama notwithstanding, it wold have been much better sited near Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Not to mention Sonoma.

The NASCAR HOF would have been an even larger failure at the Speedway.  It would have had a couple big attendance times during the year when the race was in town, but not nearly the casual foot traffic it receives in its current location.  

• Like 1