Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Hope they aren't getting forced out.  That's the bad kind of gentrification.

As you can see, there is a for sale sign in the front yard.  When it went up for sale the owner posted pics on reddit.

https://imgur.com/a/DLP2N

edit:  source

I was about to say I remember seeing those interior pics about a year ago on /r/Nashville

Can someone explain and/or weigh in on 1801 Woodland?

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/12%20December%2017/SR%201801%20Woodland%20Street.pdf

Description of Project: Applicant is requesting alterations to the

previously approved width of the duplex, currently under construction,
and a determination of new side setbacks. The setback determinations
requested are different than bulk zoning requirements. The left side (18th
Street) setback should be ten feet, but the house, once the brick veneer is
added will be eight feet and five inches (8’ 5”) from the left side property
line. The right rear corner of the house, once the brick veneer is added,
will be four feet and four inches (4’ 4”) from the right property line,
rather than the five feet (5’) required by bulk standards.

Recommendation Summary: Staff recommends disapproval of the
proposed left setback and width of the house, finding that the revised
proposal does not meet the design guidelines for rhythm of the street,
scale and setbacks.
Staff recommends approval of the right-side setback determination
because of its minimal encroachment into the setback area, if the rightside
property owner does not oppose the encroachment.
Staff recommends approval of the alteration of the paired windows in the
front gable-field with the condition that staff provide an administrative
review of a new front elevation showing a four inch to six inch (4” to 6”)
mullion between the windows.
Staff further recommends that the motion note that the decision does not
alter all other previously approved or disapproved details and conditions
of the project. 

I am interested in urban development but am very much an amateur observer....

It sounds like the developer tried to ignore a previous ruling of the MHZC to illegally squeeze a duplex on a small lot and are now asking to continue.

Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, then I hope the MZHC holds a firm line on this at 12/17 meeting.

If anyone is going to the meeting then please advocate for enforcing the original rules or if you are inclined to write in an email the contact is:

Project Lead: Robin Zeigler [email protected]

I can comment on that one. 

This lot is a duplex lot and the original application was for a duplex.  The Metro Historic Zoning Commissioners approved a duplex design that would have been up to 34 feet wide, which would fit within the historic context for the width of contributing houses in the immediate vicinity.  As is always the case, the duplex had to conform to the design guidelines, which means that it had to resemble one building.  I actually spoke in favor of this one at the hearing because a lot of conforming duplex designs are symmetrical, whereas this one manages an asymmetrical design that still looks like one house from the Woodland Street facade.  Corner projects are evaluated from any visible sides, and the Commissioners recommended some changes to the fenestration (window placement) and design of the sides.  One of the neighbors requested some changes to the rear massing since it is visible from N 18th Street.  Those changes were integrated into the original decision and the building permit was issued when the final, revised plans were approved.

But construction seems to have started on the original plan as presented, not the approved plan with revisions.  It seems fair to say that there is some basis of truth in your assertion that the developer was trying to ignore the MHZC ruling and build what he wanted anyway.  There may be some miscommunication that happened between the developer and the contractor.  That's a he-said-she-said dispute, and the ultimate responsibility for construction errors still falls back on the developer.

The Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association is plannining on sending representatives to Wednesday's MHZC hearing to support the staff recommendations.  Note that the staff recommendations include reducing the right setback determination if the adjacent neighbor supports that allowance. 

But anyone is welcome and encouraged to attend and provide comments during the public hearing.

Edited by bwithers1

Stacks on Main

From our HOA meeting last week:

Stacks_on_6th.jpg Stacks_on_6th_2.jpg

I don't particularly care for the lack of continuity between the two properties. In particular, I expected some more interaction with the existing crosswalks, roundabout, etc. instead of a nondescript wall facing 5th & Main and completely separate entrances. The whole thing is especially puzzling considering EOA Architects designed them both and surely hasn't forgotten about their original site plan from years ago.

I guess I shouldn't complain, though. :sigh:

Edited by Vrtigo

801 Main Street has started! 6 Luxury Townhomes from the $200,000's. Trees have been topped and they are starting the land excavation. The signage is up. Construction should take less than a year. This is the lot next to Braeden UMC.

Root Architecture is the firm. The signage is up, but I did not snap a pic. Sorry.

One of the projects that were approved by Metro Council is this project. This is one of the two that will go on West Eastland in East Nashville.

The below story is behind pay wall but will come off soon, but the rendering is below.

1OjSeLQ.png

Looks as if E Nashville is starting to heat up a little.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/12/17/spring_start_slated_for_east_nashville_mixed_use_development

One of the projects that were approved by Metro Council is this project. This is one of the two that will go on West Eastland in East Nashville.

The below story is behind pay wall but will come off soon, but the rendering is below.

1OjSeLQ.png

Looks as if E Nashville is starting to heat up a little.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/12/17/spring_start_slated_for_east_nashville_mixed_use_development

Um, East Nashville starting to heat up a little?  If it gets any hotter, East Nashville will spontaneously combust, LOL! 

Part of the concern that many East Nashvillians have is the high number of single-family homes being replaced by duplexes in either the attached or the detached forms.  When you add all of those onesy-twoesy projects together, the aggregate number of new housing units and the traffic that goes with them is high and widespread. Not to mention the cottage developments that are already approved or proposed.

That's why it is encouraging that the Greenwood and Maxwell Heights neighborhoods supported the large LIV Development and Hastings projects on West Eastland, which added together will bring close to 400 units together all at one point immediately adjacent to a stop on the 26 and 56 bus lines.  The reality is that it takes a major investment in a larger project to pay for the sidewalk and roadway improvements that will make a significant difference in piecing together an overall infrastructure improvement plan for East Nashville.  The LIV project team in particular participated in at least half a dozen community meetings to talk through neighbor concerns and adjust the project to address those. 

Edited by bwithers1

A story from the Tennessean regarding filming of an HGTV series about flipping Nashville...

Filming has wrapped on a pilot episode of a Nashville home-flipping show created by Mike Wolfe of "American Pickers." 

Wolfe, an increasingly vocal proponent for historic preservation, said "Nashville Flipped" would tell the story of each renovated home, including through historical research, by delving into the surrounding neighborhood, and through stories told by past residents.

Sounds like they may be getting this 'flipping' show right. The pilot features a home in the Cleveland Park area.

Um, East Nashville starting to heat up a little?  If it gets any hotter, East Nashville will spontaneously combust, LOL! 

Part of the concern that many East Nashvillians have is the high number of single-family homes being replaced by duplexes in either the attached or the detached forms.  When you add all of those onesy-twoesy projects those together, the aggregate number of new housing units and the traffic that goes with them is high and widespread. Not to mention the cottage developments that are already approved or proposed.

That's why it is encouraging that the Greenwood and Maxwell Heights neighborhoods supported the large LIV Development and Hastings projects on West Eastland, which added together will bring close to 400 units together all at one point immediately adjacent to a stop on the 26 and 56 bus lines.  The reality is that it takes a major investment in a larger project to pay for the sidewalk and roadway improvements that will make a significant difference in piecing together an overall infrastructure improvement plan for East Nashville.  The LIV project team in particular participated in at least half a dozen community meetings to talk through neighbor concerns and adjust the project to address those. 

I am LMAO. I was wondering if you would comment about that comment. I am leaving E Nash to you in a lot of respects. I can barely keep up with the core, much less anything outside of the core.

The comment also refers to the large scale projects getting ready to stat there not to mention the larger ones that have recently been finished.

IMO, E Nashville has got a huge amount of potential, especially along Gallatin Road. There is a lot of crap on that stretch that can come down, but there are also a number of buildings that have to stay.

I see a time in the next 20 years, where all of the corridors into downtown will be radically changed for the better.

Update on 1801 Woodland:  The MHZC staff recommended disapproval of the applicant's request to change the design in a manner that would have necessitated a revised setback determination.  The neighbor to the right opposed the setback reduction.  The neighbors behind the project on Forrest were also in attendance and opposed the changes.  The applicant will still be able to construct the project as originally approved by the Commission in September.  They will likely need to remove the foundation footers and start over - again - but that is the risk that one takes when starting construction without measuring properly.  Or when starting construction without a building permit. 

• Like 1