Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I don't see this as a huge market in our area. Mainly because there isn't an abundance of containers in our area. When I lived on the west coast, my daily train ride took me past the Port of Oakland and there were yards stacked with thousands of these things. But in mid-TN i just don't see an abundance of them. I'm not saying they aren't avaliable, but I would guess that they are much cheaper to acquire on the coasts than they are here.

So, what's the scoop on this Oasis Market? I hear you guys talk about it like you already know what it is. Is it a franchise? Are there renderings? What type of business is it?

I ask so many questions, because this is very close to me. I can only hope they have a decent beer selection.

Can't vouch for beer selection, but will have a 'beer cave' http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%201305%20Gallatin%20Avenue.pdf?utm_content=buffera1af5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So, what's the scoop on this Oasis Market? I hear you guys talk about it like you already know what it is. Is it a franchise? Are there renderings? What type of business is it?

I ask so many questions, because this is very close to me. I can only hope they have a decent beer selection.

It appears to be a similar layout to the Mapcos that have been built in the last 10 years.  I foresee a similar beer stock.

Have you been to the Kwik Sak in Inglewood or 4 Way Market?  They have amazing beer selections.

6th and Main has been delayed. Maybe the beginning of December according to an HOA board member, but the HOA management company has stopped putting news about this project in the friday emails we receive.

I remain cautiously optimistic it will start but would not go as far to say it's a definite. Main Street needs this building.

WW

Main Street is developing at a fine clip and 6th and Main would be a good addition. However there are some significant drawbacks to that location. From a pedestrian's viewpoint that is a very treacherous an uninviting spot. You are basically surrounded by major streets, highways (40& Ellington), the run down Citgo etc. Traffic is very congested there and its pretty dangerous for pedestrians. I'm sure the building will do wonders but it would certainly be the case that the building would drive foot traffic and not the other way around. 

I often think it would be cool to live in 5th and Main given the location but you are so locked in by the surrounding infrastructure that it takes some of the appeal away.

• Like 2

I was able to facilitate a meeting recently with March Edgerton and some of the Rolling Acres neighbors about a 25-unit cottage development proposal near Eastland and Skyview in a land-locked parcel that backs up to Shelby Golf Course.  I am fairly optimistic about this one.  The neighbors and March have quite a bit of agreement and the primary focus of the conversation is on tree saves, water feature maintenance, the possible preservation of an historic spring house site from the Tillman Dairy Farm, and the inclusion of a pedestrian easement to a potential future link to Shelby Park.  This item should be on the Dec 11th MPC hearing agenda and the neighbors are trying to see what all details can be worked out before then.  March has been very open to ideas and suggestions from the neighbors. 

In other East Nashville news, there is another SP proposal for a cottage development at Burchwood just west of Gallatin.  Some neighbors have expressed concerns about this proposal because it would seem to require the demolition of what may be the oldest house in the East Hill neighborhood.  More to follow on this one.

• Like 2

Jet's Pizza sign in window of the old dry cleaning place in Kroger parking lot, corner of Gallatin and Eastland, man thats great news to me!!

Agreed, I really like Jet's.  EN is severely lacking in good delivery.  I know this isn't a local restaurant but man, good delivery pizza is hard to find over here.  I don't like Castrillo's and Roma's is just serviceable.

• Like 1

Agreed, I really like Jet's.  EN is severely lacking in good delivery.  I know this isn't a local restaurant but man, good delivery pizza is hard to find over here.  I don't like Castrillo's and Roma's is just serviceable.

Castrillo's and Italia both kick the crap out of Jet's.

But, I'm glad to see another business going in a vacant space on Gallatin.

There will be a community meeting on Wednesday regarding a redevelopment proposal at the NEC of Tillman and Porter.  The property owners have lived in our Eastwood neighborhood for over a hundred years and are looking to bring an improvement to that portion of Porter.  I have spoken to the family a few times and I am looking forward to hearing more details at Wednesday's community meeting. 

Behind paywall, but this is exciting news.     The site is the parking lot at Woodland and 7th (next door to the recently completed apartments at 700-ish Woodland).   Another Manuel Zeitlin design.  

Turnip Truck targets new East Nashville home

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/12/2/turnip_truck_targets_new_east_nashville_home

• Like 2

Hard to tell from the rendering how this addresses the street, but I like the design!  It looks like it's going on one of the biggest parking lots remaining in East Nashville too!  I'm liking what I've seen from Mr. Zeitlan thus far.  Now, if only The Turnip Truck would redesign their original Gulch store to look more like this!

Somewhat related question...are there any plans to reconnect 7th avenue and Russell St. at that location? 

Edited by BnaBreaker

None that I have heard of.  Do you mean through the park (shudder) or along the south side of the park where there is currently a gap in Russell in front of the school?

There are absolutely no plans to connect either 7th from Russell to Woodland or Russell from Warner School to the rest of the neighborhood.  The Edgefield neighborhood association has proactively reiterated opposition to any such plan to reconnect the street grid there. 

The LIV Development project at 1034 West Eastland was approved at last night's Council public hearing.  There were neighborhood leaders from several East Nashville neighborhoods in attendance to speak in favor, but there was no opposition expressed and so we did not need to speak.  There had been at least a half dozen community meetings on this project, and I can attest that the development team worked with the adjacent neighborhood groups to address any concerns.  This is the 300+ apartment unit project. 

Note to the board:  constituents who express reservations about a project are not necessarily NIMBYs.  Neighbors expressed many concerns about this project and the development team and the Council Member worked with them to help make it a better project.  I'm done editorializing now. 

In other East Nashville news, a large SP for the Dickerson Pike corridor was approved.  The developer is Regal Homes, who had earlier this year frustrated the McFerrin and Cleveland Park neighborhoods with several requests to allow SPs to build two tall, skinny homes on single-family lots.  CM Scott Davis supported several of those SPs at Planning and elicited some controversy for those.  In the end, CM Scott Davis listened to his constituents and placed a moratorium on those kinds of mid-block SPs.  But Scott did work with Regal Homes to find a suitable location for a more dense development in a more suitable location:  Dickerson Road.  After the public hearing for this item at Dickerson/Fern was closed, Scott thanked all of the CMs who have frontage on Dickerson Road (including his own 5th district, District 2 - Frank Harrison, District 3 - Walter Hunt, and District 8 - Karen Bennett) for working with him to support large scale infill and redevelopment and revitalization along the Dickerson Road corridor.

The Council chambers last night were mostly packed with pink-shirted Lyft and black-shirted Uber supporters, as well as some traditional taxi drivers.   It was interesting that the items on public hearing all passed without incident, but the majority of debate among the council members was focused on the Bridgestone tax abatements, the Uber/Lyft ordinance, which several CMs applauded but want to see additional work to level the playing field with traditional taxi drivers, and CM Westerholm's memorializing resolution supporting the Obama administration's clean energy policies.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1