SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I really hope that the gas stations and BK at the corners of Fairview and Sharon get redeveloped.  They may have been appropriate in 1970 or 1980, but this area deserves something much nicer now.

Unfortunately, BK is currently being renovated.  I was hoping the demo would be forever, but I am guessing the power lines make this lot hard to do much with...wish we could bury those large lines.

The  intersection improvements will help, there will be a crosswalk design to dress it up some.  The Sharon View/Sharon intersection is currently being upgraded as a result of the Sharon Towers development.  The city is also looking at how to reduce the speeds between Sharon View and the Harris Y, it is a drag race in that area.

heard rumors that a new 10 story building will be proposed in SP, my guess is Novant.  

Anyone know who owns the 1970’s 2 story brick offices across from Phillips Place, could be a good site for a project.

• Like 3

I heard a rumor the Siskey property might be redeveloped into something like upscale townhomes, or upscale "duets" and "triets".   I was a little surprised be this since I though Levine bought it so it wouldn't be developed, and I haven't heard any rumors of this on UP.  Anyone have any insight?

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, tozmervo said:

It looks like several major intersections around South Park are getting pedestrian improvements next Spring, with more graphic crosswalks and sidewalk plazas. Kind of hard to tell what else is included (hopefully improved signaling), but even a small step is a step in the right direction.

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/EnhancedCrosswalks.aspx

image.png.c9e9cf7f804548cee4a3d9f64ba9d37b.png

Does anyone think a series of pedestrian bridges would be appropriate here? They could be made very elegant, include signage (Like Fairview/Sharon, or just "SouthPark") and it would make the crossings much safer while maintaining the massive traffic volume through here. 

what could define the Southpark area is some intersection enhancements.  I don't know what you call these but they are "floating" over the intersections in the Houston Galleria area (which they call uptown)    They have the names of the cross streets in bold letters and great lighting.  If you have ever been to the Houston Galleria you have seen them on Westheimer.

Here are some photos I found on them  something like this would good at the key intersections in SouthPark as for improving pedestrian experience bigger traffic refuge islands in the center so people could wait if they can only get half way.  

https://foursquare.com/v/intersection-of-westheimer--post-oak-blvd/4bce6646ef109521a1288486

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Yeah, any improvements via a traditional crosswalk aren't going to solve the fact that you are walking across 8 lanes of traffic. It isn't and won't be a safe place to walk. The argument against a bridge is people would still just drive / waste of money because there isn't much to walk to at this corner with fast food, a Verizon, and gas stations.

For example: People circle the small top deck of the Whole Foods rather than go down in the underground garage multiple times to be "closest to the door." This type of mindset isn't going to all of a sudden start walking between Whole Foods and Nordstrom, even with a bridge.

I think as the area becomes more dense, that mindset will change, you have to think ahead, this city, like most, are always playing catch up, and people in Charlotte are so "trendy" that they'll try anything new just to tell their friends at the brewery. "Omg Karen, they have just the coolest thing in Southpark now, it's like this bridge, but for people! I can totally walk to the mall now, gotta get those steps in!" 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really good idea.  I like how they have realized that the key to long term growth is to think of pedestrians first, which is I think the opposite of how Southpark was designed when it got built out.   Hopefully they come up with good ways to insulate the pedestrian traffic from vehicle traffic.    It is going to interact with two of the busiest roads in Charlotte, crossing Fairview twice and Sharon twice.  It would be great if they could make those intersections less daunting for pedestrians with bridges or underpasses.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

What, you don't think the objectively worst fast food burger place belongs on the most prominent corner of the most high-end retail area in Charlotte?

I find it weird that it hasn’t gone yet. Like a Burger Kind is literally surrounded by luxury hotels, apartments, restaurants and shopping lol. And a WholeFoods...like it’s time to say goodbye. 

This may have already been posted previously, but since demo is schedule to start soon, I thought it would be good to see the renderings again?  These pics are the latest ones I have seen, anyone seen anything different?

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/148497/major-redevelopment-planned-for-the-colony-in-southpark/

Edited by CLT_sc
  • Like 1