Greenville Bombers

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made an interesting discovery this evening.

The domain name "greenvilledrive.com" was registered on 09-SEP-2005.

This concludes nothing though. It could simply be that someone (Go Daddy Software, Inc.) is speculating and planning on holding this domain name for ransom should the ball team decide to pay up to purchase it. However, it could also mean that this domain name will be in use for the new team. :wacko:

OK...I dug a little deeper and I see that Nate Lipscomb, the Greenville Bombers' Director of Sales and Marketing is who registered this domain name. UGH. It looks as if our worst fears have come true! :sick:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/whois.asp?se...E%2Ecom&ci=1718

Just enter the code displayed above the edit box into the edit box and submit to see details.

I guess this is why none of the Bombers' front office staff (including Nate) have replied to my e-mail yet. They're keeping mum. We may as well change the name of this thread to "Greenville Drive" now.

I've done some more digging (can you tell I'm bored)?

It seems that a number of domain names have been reigstered by either Nate Lipscomb or former Bombers GM, Rich Mozingo.

Some of these include:

greenvillemonsters.com

greenvilleredsox.com

However, the greenvilledrive.com domain name is the most recent to be registered, so I'd say it's still a safe bet.

Wow, RT you're on top of things. I hadn't thought about checking the domain registrars. This is VERY scary indeed! We all have to understand that something as "simple" as a name can become the difference between long-term success and more more minor league attendance mediocrity here in Greenville. It is interesting to see how something as great as a beautiful new downtown ballpark can become less appealing because of the alledged idiocracy of a few people. <_< I hope they don't hang all their dreams on the team being unique to Greenville, because we've been blessed with the best in minor league baseball for many years and a new ballpark will not keep people coming once it ages. It takes the entire package - with FULL inclusion of the fans.

I was just thinking. We haven't always had a vibrant downtown. Do you think if we had had a vibrant downtown back in the glory days of the Greenville Braves...Do you think while playing in Greenville it would have been possible to go to a bar or restaurant downtown and run into the likes of Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, etc.? I know they were not superstars yet, but you can tell when someone is going to be a star.

Maybe haveing the new team now that we have a vibrant downtown will give us that oppurtunity.

I was just thinking. We haven't always had a vibrant downtown. Do you think if we had had a vibrant downtown back in the glory days of the Greenville Braves...Do you think while playing in Greenville it would have been possible to go to a bar or restaurant downtown and run into the likes of Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, etc.? I know they were not superstars yet, but you can tell when someone is going to be a star.

Maybe haveing the new team now that we have a vibrant downtown will give us that oppurtunity.

Since the ballpark is downtown, I'd say the chances now are much better.

Absolutely! We already have celebrities and stars walking around downtown quite often. I was talking with one proprietor of a West End store a few weeks ago who said that she sees big-named people regularly and sometimes doesn't even realize who they are at first glance. She also said that there are always people visiting from all over the U.S. and the World. Mayor White has said the same thing, emphasizing the European influence here. :shades:

Absolutely! We already have celebrities and stars walking around downtown quite often. I was talking with one proprietor of a West End store a few weeks ago who said that she sees big-named people regularly and sometimes doesn't even realize who they are at first glance. She also said that there are always people visiting from all over the U.S. and the World. Mayor White has said the same thing, emphasizing the European influence here. :shades:

Any specifics of who's been visiting? I know you may see some celebs during the BMW open and other similar events. Are others visiting us for the pleasure of it? :shades:

In my oppinion it is a terrible name. Almost at bad as Grrrowl. Drive? what the heck is that? I have heard some bad baseball team names, but this has got to be the worst.
I'm sorry to say I'm rather dissapointed. I enjoy reading these posts and for the most part agree with what is said, in this case I have to say I do not agree. Seems to me we have a lot of fans of the name and not the game. I mentioned before it doesn't matter what the level is, and now I have to add it doesn't matter what the name is, if you're a true fan you would watch them no matter what the level or in this case the name. Heck, I would watch the Greenville No Names as long as it is BASEBALL! Seems people have lost sight of what the meaning of the game is.

You're right, gvillenative. It shouldn't matter what the name is; however, it's a reality in today's sports and entertainment marketplace that the name and merchandising of a professional sports team, at any level, is a very big part of the overall success of a franchise.

I understand the rationale for choosing "Drive" to tie-in with the fact that we have BMW, Michelin, and ICAR as well as all of the supporting companies that have located in the area. There may be some other tie-in that we're overlooking as well. Nate Lipscomb has offered to bet us all lunch or game tickets that we'd approve of the new name once we all hear the rationale. I'll be open-minded.

And, as you've said, I too would go watch the Greenville No Names as long as it's baseball, especially considering that it's DOWNTOWN BASEBALL. :thumbsup:

Eh, I think that Drive as a team name is ok, but then again, we can't offend anyone with a team name. I'd love to see something related to the Boston Red Sox, maybe Green Sox, or Joe's Sox. Heh, anything is better than the name Grrowl.

Hey now whats wrong with the name grrrowl. Thats an awesome name I think. :)

I'm sorry to say I'm rather dissapointed. I enjoy reading these posts and for the most part agree with what is said, in this case I have to say I do not agree. Seems to me we have a lot of fans of the name and not the game. I mentioned before it doesn't matter what the level is, and now I have to add it doesn't matter what the name is, if you're a true fan you would watch them no matter what the level or in this case the name. Heck, I would watch the Greenville No Names as long as it is BASEBALL! Seems people have lost sight of what the meaning of the game is.

I agree gvillenative. The same thing happened to the ball club by me in NY. We had never had a ball team before and they went through this big production and held a huge naming contest. When the name came up "Hudson Valley Renegades" everyone was crying foul. Nobody understood what connection the name had with the area, many people hated it and said they would boycott the games. Others actually turned in the season tickets they bought for a refund when they found out the name.

Its now 12 years later and the attendance last year was 158,423. The three counties (Dutchess, Putnam, Orange) that draw the crowds have a combined population of about 675,000. And I'd bet that nobody can remember any of the names that didn't make it.:shades:

Just for comparison, the Bomber's attendance last year was 115,161, drawing from G/S/A which is over 1,000,000 in population.

True, but it will be much easier to support a team with a name that actually makes sense. The name should be both attractive and representative. I don't think "Drive" is attractive at all for Greenville. Sure, we can make it look more attractive by the way we market the team and the baseball experience here, but it is much easier to start working with something that is more representative of Greenville.

Its now 12 years later and the attendance last year was 158,423. The three counties (Dutchess, Putnam, Orange) that draw the crowds have a combined population of about 675,000. And I'd bet that nobody can remember any of the names that didn't make it.:shades:

Just for comparison, the Bomber's attendance last year was 115,161, drawing from G/S/A which is over 1,000,000 in population.

Could that attendence number have anything to do with the team being new, being in the middle of nowhere, and people mad because the Braves left? With the team moving to a more favorable location do you believe that the attendance will be a lot more in the coming years? I know one thing I live within walking distance of the new stadium, I know on the weekends they will have atleast 1 in attendance. I never went much to Municipal Stadium because of the long haul. I personally would have loved the Green Sox, but I have to say if it's going to be Drive, people might as well get used to it, myself included. Heck maybe they'll have BMW giveaway nights, BMW's to the first thousand in attendance, :rofl:

True, but it will be much easier to support a team with a name that actually makes sense. The name should be both attractive and representative. I don't think "Drive" is attractive at all for Greenville. Sure, we can make it look more attractive by the way we market the team and the baseball experience here, but it is much easier to start working with something that is more representative of Greenville.

True Skyliner, that makes the marketing group's job that much harder. :D

But when it comes down to it, it's the baseball experience that matters. With a downtown stadium as nice as this one, in a city as great as this one, how can you lose? :shades:

Heck, look at NASCAR. Its one of the hottest markets on earth, and all they had to work with was an acronym :rofl:

One very important point that you may have forgotten here, too, is that the Hudson Valley Renegades are a member of the New York-Penn League, which has an abreviated 76-game season, unlike the Sally League, which has season that's 140+ games.

So, if the Hudson Valley Renegades drew 158,423 fans for 38 games, that's pretty darned good! :thumbsup:

Heck maybe they'll have BMW giveaway nights, BMW's to the first thousand in attendance, :rofl:

ALRIGHT!!! I think we'll see record attendance! I'll be there! ONe thing is for sure, It won't be hard to get rid of my current car. Just have to park it in one of the booting and towing lots! :rofl:

Archived