CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Did anyone hear the story a couple weeks ago about Timken closing their plant in Laurens, it was a job loss of about 1,000 for Laurens. Does anyohe else think that's weird timing?

Not weird at all, the original announcement about them moving to Greenville said that the move to Greenville was part of a reorginization that would include some plant consolidations and closings. At that time they did not say what plants. But when I heard they were shutting down a plant here It was not a surprise becuase the company had announced some plants were going to be closing.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anymore about those big announcements for ICAR? or anything at all about any new developments for this campus? By the way, when are things going to get started for the Verdae development? They cleared trees out along Rocky Slope not too long after this was announced, but nothing else has been done to that site... Just wondering about Greenville's progess in this area. :)

Land is currently being cleared along I-85 for the Clemson engineering research graduate facility in ICAR. :thumbsup: This is very exciting to watch! Verdae is underway, but I wonder how much the higher construction costs will effect its momentum. This will also be a factor for many other developments in the near future, no doubt. :unsure: The Point is in high gear, with Drury about to rise from the lot behind the new Cracker Barrel.

Land is currently being cleared along I-85 for the Clemson engineering research graduate facility in ICAR. :thumbsup: This is very exciting to watch! Verdae is underway, but I wonder how much the higher construction costs will effect its momentum. This will also be a factor for many other developments in the near future, no doubt. :unsure: The Point is in high gear, with Drury about to rise from the lot behind the new Cracker Barrel.

Thanks!

There should be announcements on the selection of developers for the first stages very soon. I ddo know that Verdae has chosen to develope the estate homes themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Single Point Urban Interchange. There is one on Highway 14 if you have been there recently. They are the most compact and efficient intersection design they have come up with so far.

spui-detail.gif

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/interchanges/spui.html

Many of these on Geary St. in San Francisco--I always wondered why they weren't more prevelant in other cites--must be expensive.

^I believe you are referring to the Tyvola exit (exit 5).

And SPUI's can be somewhat confusing and even intimidating at first, but I think it works well.

Yes, it was Tyvola. You're right. It's been a while. I also like the way the lanes on Tyvola can change direction depending on which direction the majority of the traffic is heading a different times of the day.

Yes, it was Tyvola. You're right. It's been a while. I also like the way the lanes on Tyvola can change direction depending on which direction the majority of the traffic is heading a different times of the day.

Oh yeah, that's as you approach the coliseum area (or the former coliseum area). It really worked well for coliseum events. Now that the new arena is located uptown, there's really no need for them now.

Edited by krazeeboi

^Oh yeah, that's as you approach the coliseum area (or the former coliseum area). It really worked well for coliseum events. Now that the new arena is located uptown, there's really no need for them now.

What? There's not a mad rush of Microsoft, Oracle, Hershey, etc. employees leaving work at 5:00pm every day? :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

There was a great article on the progress of ICAR today. It was very positive information that Phase One will most likely be done in the next 25 months or by the end of 2007!!! Awesome! They have strong prospects for possible tenants of the Furman Co.'s buildings and are likely to begin in early 2006 or something along those lines.

Great news. It seems like the development of both ICAR and Innovista are both mirroring each other, with both slated to have phase I of the developments complete or nearing completion sometime close to the end of 2007. I believe that eventually both will feed off each other, and will help boost both local economies to the point of having statewide impact. It's about time this state got on the ball with these types of knowledge-based developments!

There was a great article on the progress of ICAR today. It was very positive information that Phase One will most likely be done in the next 25 months or by the end of 2007!!! Awesome! They have strong prospects for possible tenants of the Furman Co.'s buildings and are likely to begin in early 2006 or something along those lines.

Great news! :thumbsup:

I'm hearing that another announcement of another major company joining up is just around the corner.