Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone emailed senators: Warner, Allan, and Drake about getting the feds to build a new base in Isle of wight or maybe in the southern part of Suffolk. I don't see the southern part of Suffolk running into the same problem as VaBeach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No but I did give an Allen staffer a mouthful this morning when I beotched about all the freaking pork in the Transportation bill and how it's unconscionable that they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars for Ketchikan, AK (pop 8,000) on a superbridge to Govina, AK (pop 50) while I roast in traffic every single gawd-damn day.

So I don't think I should call again.

No but I did give an Allen staffer a mouthful this morning when I beotched about all the freaking pork in the Transportation bill and how it's unconscionable that they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars for Ketchikan, AK (pop 8,000) on a superbridge to Govina, AK (pop 50) while I roast in traffic every single gawd-damn day.

So I don't think I should call again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude you are so funny :rofl: . Just email them or something. I think I will plan to email them tonight about this. :whistling:

There is an interesting editorial in the Pilot today.

The article says the city and the DOD and in agreement in the early 90's as zoning ordinances and building codes were changed. In 2002 without notice the DOD changed the rules. All residential within AICUZ 65 and 75 noise-zone lines -  over 16k acres and almost 19k housing units were immediately added to DOD's new definition of noncompatible land use. It goes on to say that land area is about the size of the city of Portsmouth!  :blink: . So, it seems the city council is not all or maybe not even to blame.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that one. The city was upset, to say the least. CCAJN loved it; it only furthered their cause. Unless you live in Bayside or Kempsville, you're covered by the AICUZ. A couple weeks ago I was at 81st St. Every 20 minutes, jets would come roaring overhead. Even when I was at Cox back in the late 90's, a few times a month you'd hear planes flying above.

For the city to comply with the Navy, there would be no city. But that's the cycle. A city grows because of military bases. At some point the growth encroaches on that base. It becomes time for the military to move to another rural area. VB has outgrown Oceana. The city has surrounded the base with industrial and commerical facilities, but even those are incompatible land uses. Homes have sprouted up near the base after areas not affected by it have been nearly built-out: Bayside and Kempsville. The Navy is against any kind of development within the AICUZ. Well, that's the only area left in VB. People can knock on the city or on Meyera (there are 10 others on the council and there's also a planning commission), but what else can they do? If they stop development in the AICUZ, they're effectively closing the city to further construction (except for infill and redevelopment in non-AICUZ areas). Time to look at the future rather than the present and past.

I remember that one.  The city was upset, to say the least.  CCAJN loved it; it only furthered their cause.  Unless you live in Bayside or Kempsville, you're covered by the AICUZ.  A couple weeks ago I was at 81st St.  Every 20 minutes, jets would come roaring overhead.  Even when I was at Cox back in the late 90's, a few times a month you'd hear planes flying above.

For the city to comply with the Navy, there would be no city.  But that's the cycle.  A city grows because of military bases.  At some point the growth encroaches on that base.  It becomes time for the military to move to another rural area.  VB has outgrown Oceana.  The city has surrounded the base with industrial and commerical facilities, but even those are incompatible land uses.  Homes have sprouted up near the base after areas not affected by it have been nearly built-out:  Bayside and Kempsville.  The Navy is against any kind of development within the AICUZ.  Well, that's the only area left in VB.  People can knock on the city or on Meyera (there are 10 others on the council and there's also a planning commission), but what else can they do?  If they stop development in the AICUZ, they're effectively closing the city to further construction (except for infill and redevelopment in non-AICUZ areas).  Time to look at the future rather than the present and past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the notation. Well hopefully they will find a place to put it in the HR area. Shoot have they even looked for it be on the NC and Va border? I know they did state that Warner wanted them to look and Northwest station for a the base.

This is getting pretty ugly now.

Warner calls new BRAC hearing illegal

article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See this is not a political party against another party its two rep. against each other. I do think that its unprofessional because wasn't the base close because of encroachment? They are worse than we and are 15 min from their DT. It is funny to try to reopen the base after its closed for encroachment :rofl::w00t:

Its not going to happen dude! Why would they move to a base that was closed for the exact reason Oceanas on the list for? :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cecil was closed primarily for politcal reasons, more than encroachment. I still think its a slim chance that it could be re-opened, as well. Nevertheless, I thought I'd share the article with this subforum, since it directly affects the Hampton Roads region.

If you recall a few mos back citizens showed up at the city council meeting scared that their land would be taken - now it seems history could be repeating itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and true to nature never believe it when government promises you anything. The first time I thought my land was in danger from this I would have been looking for a way to get the hell out of there. It should have been obvious that this issue would be raised again as the city grows. I don't think that many of the residents expected the issue to be raised again so soon however.

Cecil was closed primarily for politcal reasons, more than encroachment.  I still think its a slim chance that it could be re-opened, as well.  Nevertheless, I thought I'd share the article with this subforum, since it directly affects the Hampton Roads region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think alot of it had to do with being just 15 minutes from dt Jacksonville too.

From my understanding, encroachment had absolutely zero play in why Cecil was closed.

Oceana would have been closed back then but they played on some 'special operations' angle and were spared. They no longer have that Spec Op and enchroachment is far worse than in 1993.

It's also been noted that the Navy felt they made a mistake in closing Cecil. I can guess one way to correct it and considering BRAC is taking a second, originally unscheduled, look at Cecil this week, they are seriously considering Cecil again

It's more than 15 minutes away from DT and how would that play into it? Jax NAS is closer than that.

Take this into account as well as I'm sure our officials will mention it a few times at the meeting.

They are trying to shut down our old carrier but the Navy wants either 12 cariers, meaning we get a new one, or to send of from Norfolk so as not to have all East Coast carriers in one base.

The carrier that those planes serve could end up being the carrier that goes to Jax. No that's taking care of two birds with one stone. This isn't a competition between Jax and VB/Norfolk but what's best for the Navy and national defense.

Did I mention those Ocean jets already train in Fl?

From my understanding, encroachment had absolutely zero play in why Cecil was closed.

Oceana would have been closed back then but they played on some 'special operations' angle and were spared.  They no longer have that Spec Op and enchroachment is far worse than in 1993. 

It's also been noted that the Navy felt they made a mistake in closing Cecil.  I can guess one way to correct it and considering BRAC is taking a second, originally unscheduled, look at Cecil this week, they are seriously considering Cecil again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Navy has also stated as recently as last week that they need Oceana and wish it to remain open. It is really the Brac commission that keeps pushing this thing further, that is what is shocking many of the locals and politicians here in Virginia. Only but a few weeks ago it seemed that this issue was gonna die for the time being. If politics played a role in Cecil fields closing, it seems that the pendulum may be swinging the other way for Oceana now.

Take this into account as well as I'm sure our officials will mention it a few times at the meeting.

They are trying to shut down our old carrier but the Navy wants either 12 cariers, meaning we get a new one, or to send of from Norfolk so as not to have all East Coast carriers in one base.

The carrier that those planes serve could end up being the carrier that goes to Jax.  No that's taking care of two birds with one stone.    This isn't a competition between Jax and VB/Norfolk but what's best for the Navy and national defense.

Did I mention those Ocean jets already train in Fl?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course you say that when you are trying to steal out of our pockets.

Archived