Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

Today's Pilot also had a full page ad about that. And they really should be worried about keeping Oceana. It is the city's largest employer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should have been thinking about that 10-20 years ago. They were warned by the Navy but their heads saw dollar signs and wanted the tax base so now they will pay for their evil greed! :rofl:

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is Georgia but they where talking about that. I don't think they care about how far it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Texas is at least twice as far as Georgia.

As for starting a new master jet base: Why is there no problem with having support ships sailing from other bases to join a battle group, but when it comes to jets, which I believe travel a little faster than a boat, it's impossible? Weren't the F/A 18's based at Cecil Naval Air Station before BRAC closed that facility? Was there a readiness issue with those planes getting up to the carrier groups based at Naval Station Norfolk? One thing Oceana does have over Cherry Point, Beaufort, and the Texas bases is that it is not in a hurricane-prone area. Only Cecil and Moody pose a real challenge, and the former was decommissioned several years ago because of encroachment problems.

It's disappointing that a state would offer incentives to lure a military base, especially to a hurricane-prone area. I understand it is like luring a large company because there would be enormous returns, but it isn't a private company. It's a tax-payer funded entity that would be lured with more tax-payer money. I hope the citizens of Texas realize this. The military should not be bribed. It needs to make the best decision for the United States, not for Texas.

I will argue that it is the Navy's fault for Oceana's demise. Are people dense enough to think that a city will stop development from occuring? If the base was in Pungo, it'd be different, but we're talking about the middle of Virginia Beach. How much would've been enough? It is not in the best interest of a city to tie a significant portion of its economy to a single employer. Oceana is one of the smaller air bases; Beaufort, Cherry Point, and Moody are all significantly larger. If the Navy wanted a bigger buffer, it should've purchased the land or at least an easement on the land to keep it rural.

I will argue that it is the Navy's fault for Oceana's demise.  Are people dense enough to think that a city will stop development from occuring?  If the base was in Pungo, it's be different, but we're talking about the middle of Virginia Beach.  How much would've been enough?  It is not in the best interest of a city to tie a significant portion of its economy to a single employer.  Oceana is one of the smaller air bases; Beaufort, Cherry Point, and Moody are all significantly larger.  If the Navy wanted a bigger buffer, it should've purchased the land or at least an easement on the land to keep it rural.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that's the thing. It's a base that employees 10,000 people. That many people and their families living nearby is a lot of people. You don't expect a city to crop up around you when you employ that many?? You're right, the only thing they could do is buy enough easements to have a huge buffer around your base.

Which made me curious about the Corpus Christi TX offer. That base is kinda isolated from the city. Sits on a penisula with water on three sides. Wouldn't have to exactly worry about encroachment there.

Not that I want to see Oceana leave. Although I remember being disappointed when seeing all the plans for the Laskin Road Corridor I think it was. Lots of neat shops and retail and nice mixed use stuff to connect the oceanfront to the new convention center, but the navy pulled the encroachment card on the development so it all went back to the drawing board or something like that.

There's so much prime real estate at the oceanfront that sits empty cause of that, makes ya wonder what it would be like without oceana.

There's so much prime real estate at the oceanfront that sits empty cause of that, makes ya wonder what it would be like without oceana.

It would be poor. Oceana leaving, which it will, is going to hurt Vabeach so bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does the military have to do with tourism?

Oceana is not closing during this round of BRAC. The time-table is too short. The next round is in 5 years, by which a replacement base will have been chosen and prepared to receive the fighters. Also, critical to the decision is the retirement of the F-14 fighter and the delivery of the Super Hornet and other next-gen fighters. This will occur when BRAC meets again in 2010. It will take another 5 years to transfer operations and close Oceana, although most will probably be done in the first couple years. After that, there will be 5 years of clean-up of the airfield portion of the base. The wooded area can be developed immediately. So, we're looking at at least 5 years before anything is done (2010) and 7 years before significant changes will be felt (2012). Considering the growth and diversification of HR's and VB's economies over the past decade, Oceana's closure won't hurt VB as much as some think. All the land should be open to redevelopment by 2020 which should come at the perfect time to alleviate pressure to develop below the Green Line. By losing Oceana, VB is losing blue-collar type jobs, not so much the white-collar engineering and research jobs. The R&D and contract side of the work is handled at Dam Neck which is under the command of Oceana. Dam Neck is not slated to close, only Oceana Air Station is. If you recall, NNSB dropped from 27,000 employees during Reagan's military build-up to around 17,000 by the mid-90's. Did Newport News or the Peninsula die?

I'm not even talking about land in the base. Stuff that is outside of the base that isn't developed because it's in crash zones, or high noise zones. I was up at the ocean front earlier this summer. I think around like 19th and Artic, and every lot around there was empty. One was just a whole block grown over with weeds. Most were empty parking lots. I was like that is so strange to have this in the middle of the ocean front area. It seemed to be a great place to have like some condos... or maybe some town center like development.. offices and restaurants... only on a much smaller scale. Stood there wondering why this area was just a bunch of empty lots, and only thing I could think of was it was something to do with Oceana, crash zones or something like that. If oceana went away I would think those areas might spring to life with new development.. but then again.. the demand for such development might go along with it.

I think you're talking about things like this:

...Suit said legislators hope to tap that money and federal funds to buy development rights in accident-potential zones.

As proposed, the voluntary state program would target undeveloped land and willing sellers, Suit said. It would not involve condemning property, which Virginia Beach residents overwhelming opposed earlier in the year.

"The intent of the program is not to buy houses," Suit said.

The program could help address Navy concerns about "by-right development," in which property owners do not need rezonings but can develop their land according to its underlying zoning.

At the resort, especially, some land with single houses on them have underlying zoning that would let them be redeveloped with two or more homes. Suit said those underlying rights could be purchased.

Lawmakers acknowledged that this could be expensive.

"There

It'd be joke it Cecil gets reopened.  It got shut down for the same reason that Oceana was put on the list.  Anyway, nothing is happening to Oceana during this round.  There is no contingency plan and the window to deliver the report is less than a month.  All this hoopla is to bring to the attention of VB that Oceana is not a sacred cow and can be closed if the city doesn't act.  If things don't change at the Beach, then BRAC will cut Oceana in 2010.  If Oceana isn't recommended for closure at that time, then it probably won't be closed for some time.  It would be a waste to upgrade the base for Super Hornets and next-gen fighters, then close Oceana and upgrade or open up another facility.  The real fight isn't now, but in 2010.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We don't know and the feds don't really care about how fast and when they leave. They don't care about what happens to the places they leave either. If they get a wild hair up their but they could start shifting jets to other locations.......Georgia.

I say we invade NC and move all Charlotte's midtown to Norfolk. VB can have Raleigh and NN can have Durham. The rest should be sold to West Virginia  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the Triad? Do Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Hampton get to split that? Oh, and I get the WB studios in Wilmington? Speaking of that town, can I also get UNCW. Um, not being too greedy, but please throw in ECU and UNC. Thanks.

What about the Triad?  Do Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Hampton get to split that?  Oh, and I get the WB studios in Wilmington?  Speaking of that town, can I also get UNCW.  Um, not being too greedy, but please through in ECU and UNC.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You guys are silly and you guys are going to ruffle those NC boys up. :wacko:

What about the Triad?  Do Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Hampton get to split that?  Oh, and I get the WB studios in Wilmington?  Speaking of that town, can I also get UNCW.  Um, not being too greedy, but please through in ECU and UNC.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

sounds good to me.

but I wont talk about it anymore so i dont offend the NC kids.

This is getting out of hand. One minute it seems everything is gonna be ok and the next.. well ya never know. :sigh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...Florida (Jeb Bushs' state) and Texas (you know whos state) magically gain the upper hand in an unprecedented maneuver that hasn't happened before during this stage of BRAC. Connection...I wonder :rolleyes: .

This is getting out of hand. One minute it seems everything is gonna be ok and the next.. well ya never know. :sigh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What gets me is if we tried to steal a base from any of these states they'd be screaming bloody murder :angry: . I wish they'd leave our base alone.

Hmm...Florida (Jeb Bushs' state) and Texas (you know whos state) magically gain the upper hand in an unprecedented maneuver that hasn't happened before during this stage of BRAC. Connection...I wonder  :rolleyes: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

er ... so it's a government conspiracy by the bush family to steal virginia's bases?

:rofl:

And the North Carolina bid must be from ... from ... Jesse Helms!! Did you know if you count the number of characters in Jesse Helms's combined name (10) it is the SAME NUMBER as in George Bush's name (also 10!!). The aggregate plus Jeb Bush (7) equals 17, which is January 7th which is CHRISTMAS DAY in the JULIAN CALENDAR!!!

What does this all mean, you ask?!

What I'm saying, is that BRAC is a covert agency run by the CIA, the Bush Family, Jesse Helms, the Republican Party, the Masons, and the Greek Orthodox Church planning on taking over the WORLD!!!

:o

Archived