Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Oceana will most likely remain open.  This whole situation sounds like the Navy giving VA Beach a wake-up call.

Admiral sees an open Oceana

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even after their initial complaints, the Navy has always stated that they wished for Oceana to remain open. They have been consistent in this position all summer. It is the Brac commission that is really gunning for Oceana, and they may well have the political power to pull it off.

Actually I don't either. The last few days I have been watching HGTV as I am trying to get ideas to fix up my house (ok, I admit it  :blink: ) and I have seen quite a few there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha!! :lol: the little bit i have watched of HGTV has gotten stuck in my head: "You should see, (you should see), what's on HGTV (you should see)".

**its the theme song for those who aren't familiar. :lol:

Rebuilding Cecil Field would cost $1.64 billion and would yield no savings to the Navy for more than 100 years, Warner said, citing Navy testimony.

Warner is absolutely incorrect. It would cost that much to build a brand new base from scratch. If he gets basic figures like that messed up, I can only imagine what else he's confused about...or is deceptively trying to play.

Reopening Cecil will cost $118 million.

Warner is absolutely incorrect.  It would cost that much to build a brand new base from scratch.  If he gets basic figures like that messed up, I can only imagine what else he's confused about...or is deceptively trying to play.

Reopening Cecil will cost $118 million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose you have the means to figure what it will cost to open it. How do you know that the Florida officials aren't forging some of those numbers to make it more attractive? You don't none of us do and you are just listening to what they say in the paper thats all. I can only imagine what type of things the florida politicians are up too. Don't insult our people in Congress with out a sure fire fact.

A BRAC financial analysts came up with the $331 million dollar figure. $47 million is his estimate for a new commissary and exchange (since they can use NAS Jax, we can legitamately remove that figure from the total).

$284 million remains.

BHR firm reports it can build officer and enlisted housing that cuts off another $166 million.

$118 million remains. These figures aren't something the paper threw together. It's what BRAC is going to be looking at officially.

By the way, one of the reasons it will cost so low is because after it was closed, the city spent several hundred million upgrading the facilities at Cecil. Those facilites will not have to be rebuilt to reopen Cecil.

A BRAC financial analysts came up with the $331 million dollar figure.  $47 million is his estimate for a new commissary and exchange (since they can use NAS Jax, we can legitamately remove that figure from the total).

$284 million remains.

BHR firm reports it can build officer and enlisted housing that cuts off another $166 million.

$118 million remains.  These figures aren't something the paper threw together.  It's what BRAC is going to be looking at officially.

By the way, one of the reasons it will cost so low is because after it was closed, the city spent several hundred million upgrading the facilities at Cecil.  Those facilites will not have to be rebuilt to reopen Cecil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I bet you that if these jets get officially moved to Cecil Field those numbers will inflate tremendously. Haven't you noticed there is a political connection between the head of the BRAC commission and the local politicians in FL.

Yeah, it's similar to the one that Virginia had back in '93 that saved Oceana (SpecOps missions was cited) and killed Cecil (underusage was cited).

The Oceana SpecOps could easily have been moved and only lasted a year after the '93 BRAC and Cecil was far from underused and the Navy has repeatedly said that closing Cecil was a huge mistake.

I'm not saying politics doesn't play a role but it also played one in '93.

Yeah, it's similar to the one that Virginia had back in '93 that saved Oceana (SpecOps missions was cited) and killed Cecil (underusage was cited).

The Oceana SpecOps could easily have been moved and only lasted a year after the '93 BRAC and Cecil was far from underused and the Navy has repeatedly said that closing Cecil was a huge mistake.

I'm not saying politics doesn't play a role but it also played one in '93.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So we close Oceana on 2009, reopen Cecil... then like 2021 Ocean opens back up and Cecil gets closed. All depends on who's got the political power at the time. It's a bunch of bunk either way if ya ask me. Bunch of politicians who are just looking for out for those tax dollars in their area, and not really as much about the Navy's bottomline and ability to perform it's mission.

So we close Oceana on 2009, reopen Cecil... then like 2021 Ocean opens back up and Cecil gets closed.  All depends on who's got the political power at the time.  It's a bunch of bunk either way if ya ask me.  Bunch of politicians who are just looking for out for those tax dollars in their area, and not really as much about the Navy's bottomline and ability to perform it's mission.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, we could pass it back and forth every 12 years or so.

Well Jax jaguars are talking about leaving so we will take them and they can have all of Oceana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, the Jags aren't going anywhere, that was media speculation. I doubt they'd come up here to HR anyway because VB and Norfolk would fight tooth and nail to get it resolving nothing while LA quitely nabs it.

Hey, we could pass it back and forth every 12 years or so.

Don't worry, the Jags aren't going anywhere, that was media speculation.  I doubt they'd  come up here to HR anyway because VB and Norfolk would fight tooth and nail to get it resolving nothing while LA quitely nabs it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy you really like bashing our region don't you!

I think I'd be more happy with the 10,000 + jobs of Oceana than the (generously estimating) 1000 of a sports team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it also gives us free advertisement and it brings other buisnesses around and lets us tailgate and such. It would bring more in than that. Then it would bring high end clothes in such because the guys have to shop somewhere. High end cars and such.

Boy you really like bashing our region don't you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live here, I have that right.

That wasn't bashing anyway, it was playful banter (the first quote) and pure honest opinion on how the political structure of the 7 cities fights over everything here (the second quote).

I live here, I have that right. 

That wasn't bashing anyway, it was playful banter (the first quote) and pure honest opinion on how the political structure of the 7 cities fights over everything here (the second quote).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are in the military so you aren't here by choice so it make a little difference.

You are in the military so you aren't here by choice so it make a little difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just because somebody is in the military doesn't mean they aren't here by choice.

I'm in the military, and here by choice, and I know agree with what Viper said.

Welcome but the military dictates where you go not you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not entirely so. Langley was our first choice.

You list 8 locations on a Dream Sheet and they do pretty well to accomodate that. 6 year enlistement and haven't been PCS'd anywhere else nor will I be.

Archived