Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what I don't understand if they are planning on closing it why are they still fighting for the airfield in NC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The airfield is meant almost solely for landing training purposes so regardless of Oceana's fate it would remain open for training. But that is a good question... it's far from Georgia? :huh:

The airfield is meant almost solely for landing training purposes so regardless of Oceana's fate it would remain open for training.  But that is a good question... it's far from Georgia?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's my point! That would be a hike! Maybe that once they get the land they will slowly convert it to the jet master base and temporarly put it in Georgia or keep them in Oceana.

That's my point! That would be a hike! Maybe that once they get the land they will slowly convert it to the jet master base and temporarly put it in Georgia or keep them in Oceana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm hoping... The NC base is still reasonably close to our area so we wouldn't have a total loss, and better yet, we'd also have development opportunities with 10's of thousands of acres and much-less restricting building codes.

I'm hoping...  The NC base is still reasonably close to our area so we wouldn't have a total loss, and better yet, we'd also have development opportunities with 10's of thousands of acres and much-less restricting building codes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It still would leave a gapping hole in the Vabeach economy but i really have a feeling that in a couple of years it would exceed that hole and grow even more. It would be a great opportunity to put manufacturing facilities in the oceana area, having a huge industrial park or something with mix use developments.

It still would leave a gapping hole in the Vabeach economy but i really have a feeling that in a couple of years it would exceed that hole and grow even more. It would be a great opportunity to put manufacturing facilities in the oceana area, having a huge industrial park or something with mix use developments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to see it kind of in a parklike layout. Urban developments along the edges of the northern part of Oceana with a residential focus, offices and flex-space mixed-use complexes in the south near Lynnhaven and the Taylor Farms area. Along the east part having mixed residential and perhaps a hotel or two of a more resort-like standing would be nice. It's one HUGE economic opportunity, but there's a huge threat of chunks of the land being tied up behind government red tape.

For such a huge base... a decade optimistically?  Just a guesstimate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knows with the military. Nothing is done in a business logical way so who knows. They could say they are closing the base and not move the jets for 20-30 years. This isn't a for sure either and its just a recommendation. Its going to happen because the oceanfront and the development around the area in general causing very real concern on crashes and such.

Jacksonville: Cecil Field reopening pitched to Fed panel

Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia to added to BRAC list

NEW ORLEANS -- In a surprising twist, state leaders asked a federal panel Friday to study a massive return of Navy fliers to the old Cecil Field, closed in 1993, in Jacksonville.

Members of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission suggested they were open to the idea, though time and burgeoning investment by businesses at the defunct naval air station could play against the idea.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19317087.shtml

Jacksonville: Cecil Field reopening pitched to Fed panel

Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia to added to BRAC list

NEW ORLEANS -- In a surprising twist, state leaders asked a federal panel Friday to study a massive return of Navy fliers to the old Cecil Field, closed in 1993, in Jacksonville.

Members of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission suggested they were open to the idea, though time and burgeoning investment by businesses at the defunct naval air station could play against the idea.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19317087.shtml

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are any of the BRAC commissioners from Florida?

Not that I'm aware of. This sounds like it has more to do with encroaching development near the Oceana base that is killing its long-term future. Florida leaders mentioned the old Cecil Field as an alternative. However, since it has been converted into an Aerospace manufacturing and industrial park, since it closed in favor of Oceana during the last BRAC rounds, its difficult to see this happening.

Not that I'm aware of.  This sounds like it has more to do with encroaching development near the Oceana base that is killing its long-term future.  Florida leaders mentioned the old Cecil Field as an alternative.  However, since it has been converted into an Aerospace manufacturing and industrial park, since it closed in favor of Oceana during the last BRAC rounds, its difficult to see this happening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats pretty far away from here. I still think they will have to have it close by. I'm hoping they will put it in NC.

Thats pretty far away from here. I still think they will have to have it close by. I'm hoping they will put it in NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I definitely agree. I would think that JAX business leaders would be particularly pissed after all these years of turning Cecil Field into something even bigger just to have it turned back into an air field.

The BRAC was discussing converting Moody Air Force Base in Valdosta, GA to take the place of Oceana and that's when Jax officials bought up the subject of re-opening Cecil. What complicates this type of move is that the city demolished all the Navy's barracks and office buildings and then leased the rest to private businesses when it took over the base and converted the land into an industrial part. If the Navy comes back to Cecil, they would have to be willing to share the base.

recent aerial of the remains of Cecil Field NAS

Cecil_FL_00_se.jpg

If the Navy comes back to Cecil, they would have to be willing to share the base.

Cecil_FL_00_se.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure how likely it would be for the Navy to want to share a master jet base with other private businesses. I also question why jax wants Cecil reopened as an airfield anyway. I'm not so sure that increasing your dependance on the military is such a good idea. While Va. Beach has benefited economically for the most part we have been stifled developmentally and economically in other areas. It is definately a trade off.

I doubt Cecil will be reopened, because it just doesn't make sense. I assume the city is interested because it would be an immediate influx of 12,000 jobs. Regardless of the industry, an infusion of that many jobs into any area, would be a big economic gain for any area....we'll at least until the next BRAC round. How boxed in is Oceana for them to consider placing it on the closing list?

I doubt Cecil will be reopened, because it just doesn't make sense.  I assume the city is interested because it would be an immediate influx of 12,000 jobs.  Regardless of the industry, an infusion of that many jobs into any area, would be a big economic gain for any area....we'll at least until the next BRAC round.  How boxed in is Oceana for them to consider placing it on the closing list?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's pretty bad. Any closer and people will be building their houses on the runway. :lol:

Guess what!!!..........................Those people who wants the base gone will end up losing their houses because the developers and the city are going to get revenge on them and take their houses with eminent domain and build better housing and other things.

If you want to compare Oceana to something try El Toro MCAS in Irvine, CA. They shut that down in 1999 and auctioned off the land this year. Lennar Homes bought the land for over $600 million. Most of it will be a massive park. Clean-up will probably take 5 years.

I believe Oceana is between 7000 and 9000 acres. The best thing would be for the city to work with a developer or group of developers if Oceana is closed. Some land should be set aside for parks and a possible 4-year college. The city can't go at it alone as their experience with Lake Ridge shows.

If you want to compare Oceana to something try El Toro MCAS in Irvine, CA.  They shut that down in 1999 and auctioned off the land this year.  Lennar Homes bought the land for over $600 million.  Most of it will be a massive park.  Clean-up will probably take 5 years.

I believe Oceana is between 7000 and 9000 acres.  The best thing would be for the city to work with a developer or group of developers if Oceana is closed.  Some land should be set aside for parks and a possible 4-year college.  The city can't go at it alone as their experience with Lake Ridge shows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oceana will have a big EPA red tape. It will take about 5-10 years to clean up 60 years of environmental damage. I think they should use some of it to make a indoor waterpark for all year availablity. Or a indoor skate park. Possible nascar track. More urban housing and such. College would be good.

I agree about a college or something to help retain what good paying jobs we have. If you take notice a lot of the cities with good paying jobs have 2 or 3 good colleges in their borders. Take for instance Raleigh, DC and Richmond which are doing quite well. I believe we have to push as never before to get these high paying jobs to our area. NOW, while construction is going at a all time high and while high end retail and office spaces are being created is the perfect time to bring these companies in and show them what we have to offer.

I agree about a college or something to help retain what good paying jobs we have. If you take notice a lot of the cities with good paying jobs have 2 or 3 good colleges in their borders. Take for instance Raleigh, DC and Richmond which are doing quite well. I believe we have to push as never before to get these high paying jobs to our area. NOW, while construction is going at a all time high and while high end retail and office spaces are being created is the perfect time to bring these companies in and show them what we have to offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that all of us feel that way but we would have to have a University like the size of UVA or something to make a huge impact. Oceana has a huge plot of land with so many possiblities its unreal. I hope that Oceana doesn't hurt VaBeach's economy as bad as some predict.

I think that all of us feel that way but we would have to have a University like the size of UVA or something to make a huge impact. Oceana has a huge plot of land with so many possiblities its unreal. I hope that Oceana doesn't hurt VaBeach's economy as bad as some predict.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe ODU is on its way. With a plan to expand enrollment to 30,000 already in the works. Add the additional football team, and we will have one of the largest Universities in Virginia. One that can actually be winners in sports, not win and fail all the time.

Archived