Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

There are some small updates on the Wachovia tower in next weeks CBJ.

They intereviewed 2 execs from Batson-Cook who are supervising the project (but are based in Atlanta)

The site will be 80' deep and have 8 levels of parking. Again, they confirmed it to be 46 stories and 1.4M sq. ft. Excavation will continue until April, and they still project a 2009 opening.

The tower will have a grass roof with plantings.

Both Project Managers though that Charlotte had a more vibrant downtown than Atlanta. :)

They will be using the some of the heaviest duty tower cranes ever built.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grass roof? That spy photo from a while back showed a sheared glass top. I wonder if something's changed. Or maybe the plantings will be in/under that handle top thingy?

In that same article they mentioned that the tower is still being designed and that they will be going for LEED Certification. So the pic that we saw a few months ago may not be the final product that we will get.

I took that to mean that the large section over the CIB lowrise section will be a grass roof. Don't forget that this building be roughly structured like the Hearst and Three Wach. There will be a tower portion, and there will be a shorter portion that extends to the end of the block. Having that be a grass roof means there will be a little open air spot for people in the tower to go, or at least it will be attractive for people in the tower looking down. I always think those river stone roofs are pretty ugly when looking down on them from above.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure by now some of you have seen it....

...but here is a "fantasy" future skyline of Charlotte....and Wachovia is in clear view.

New rendering:

1025smithcol.jpg

********************************************************************************

OK, color me corrected. The Chamber hired freelancers Demetre Gionis, Ralph Voltz AND Keith Parsley to do the illustration, so it's probably not an official rendering.

Nice job of working with it in space though...

Any of you guys on here?

I'm just going to lob this one out there for anyone who may agree with me on this, but I am not really all that excited about the preliminary drawings. Maybe they got nervous that UP one-upped them by leaking it before Dougie got it in the Observer.

I am hoping that maybe, just maybe they went back to the drawing board to tweak it. Personally, I'm not sure the design, as we have seen it, compliments the skyline.

Diversity is good when it comes to the architectural element to the city. I'm a little discouraged that BofA might be going with it's mini-me corporate center (aka Ritz) or the TWELVE building having too much of a similar look to what we already have.

Maybe the new Wachovia is TOO modern for Charlotte at this point? Either way, I am glad that Charlotte is moving forward with all of the construction it has planned. I continue to look forward to living in a city that is growing as it is and with the opportunities it also creates.

Like I said, just tossing this out there to see if anyone agrees.

Archived