Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea on what the holdup is THOUGHT to be? Is it a council vote on allocation of the new tax windfall, and if this is the case, isn't that vote scheduled for next week?

The County Commissioners meet tomorrow and the issue will be brought up---even though it's a sure thing votewise, they will probably set a date for a public hearing on the matter before voting on it--so I think we'll have a better idea after tomorrow as to when the tax plan will officially be in place--once there's been a public hearing and the Commissioners have approved the tax plan, look for WB to finally unveil the tower design.

For any taking pics,today would have been one heck of a day to do it on the WB Tower project.

From My perch on high at the Three Wachovia the hole that they have dug filled up nicely with about 10+ feet of rain water from last nights monsoon.

It was really interesting watching the workers. I have always wondered what happens when the hole a developer digs for a tower is literally flooded. Well today I found out:

It is pumped out. The 10ft pool was slowly pumped to where it was almost completly dried out by the time I left work. Pretty amazing considering that Uptown was submerged with about 4-5 inches of rain in less than a 12 hour period.

Now if somebody can just figure out what to do with Dee Dee's hole ! :P

A2

Does anyone know of Bechtler is supposed to be presenting his art collection to the city council? I have seen a book with 1202 pages in it describing every single piece of artwork within his collection I do believe. The book is for the city of Charlotte. I also dont think Bechtler is too happy with me right now. I told someone that works for him that a certain something was going to cost $45,000, in actually it was gonna cost $4,600. Lets jsut say my job could possibly be on the line because of that LOL! But yea, if anyone can find out if Bechtler is supposed to be presenting his art collection to the city council, please find out. Thanks!

A friend of mine works for a general contractor company that has built sky scrapers in Charlotte.

I asked him "Is your company involved with this project?" He said, "I can't comment."

So my next question was, "So how tall is it?" His response, "I don't know."

Amazing. Maybe Wachovia can keep this a secret after its complete.

Ok really now. All this secrecy can't be for a 40 story tower. Why are all parties involved not allowed to utter a word about this project? I mean, the arts package is already out there, it's almost 100% guaranteed to go through, so everybody already knows about that portion, the condo tower prices (not height or floorplans) are being released to inquiring employees, then why not just come out with it? Or are they just trying to avoid another embarrassment like Four First Union?

Ok really now. All this secrecy can't be for a 40 story tower.
Why not? Maybe they don't want to reveal anything about it until the "almost 100% guaranteed" turns into a "100% guaranteed."

Folks, don't get your hopes up for anything more than the 40-some story tower that ALL media info and personal contacts regarding this tower have pointed to.

Yeah, Wachovia has already betrayed a sacred trust and has missed thrown away the opportunity to build a new tallest.

Let it go. Let it go. ;)

As nice as it would be, I severly doubt they are hiding a new tallest. I'm just envisioning that there is more to the complex as a whole than they are letting on.

Ok really now. All this secrecy can't be for a 40 story tower. Why are all parties involved not allowed to utter a word about this project? I mean, the arts package is already out there, it's almost 100% guaranteed to go through, so everybody already knows about that portion, the condo tower prices (not height or floorplans) are being released to inquiring employees, then why not just come out with it? Or are they just trying to avoid another embarrassment like Four First Union?

Perhaps, Wachovia doesn't know what they want yet...They seem to have a difficult time making decisions. I've read nothing suggesting a super-tall will be built in Charlotte.

Perhaps, Wachovia doesn't know what they want yet...They seem to have a difficult time making decisions. I've read nothing suggesting a super-tall will be built in Charlotte.

Im happy with the 764' as reported. Super tall we don't really need, but the whole situation does beg the question, why such secrecy for a 46 story building. Of course nothing you read suggests a super tall because that would make it not a secret.

How many other 40 something storybuildings have the gotten to this point in construction (yes an open hole is construcion) without a rendering being offically released? I can tell you, none that I can remember in Charlotte's history. Heck, even a 20 to 30 story building in our town has hours of face time before the hole is dug.

The fact that the hole is/has been dug and that there is work going on at the site is what really makes me wonder. It's very rare (unheard of in my personal experice) for things to proceed in this sequence.

Being positive, with this work underway, when something is released, it will most likely appear to move at great speed. The building should appear to go up much faster that simmilar buildings.

..... why such secrecy for a 46 story building.

I don't think it is because they are hiding a surprise of a supertall building.

I think more to the point they are not saying much because they don't have the arts funding wrapped up. While the state legislature approved the ability to raise the tax, they themselves did not actually raise taxes and won't be help accountable for the fallout once that decision is made. This is a decision to be made by the county commission and they are very sensitive to the image of raising taxes to pay for arts projects. Several of the commissioners have made mention they are unconfortable with this idea. This is made worse by the fact that CMS and its constant asking for hundreds of millions in new bond money is dominating the county commission's time and some have said on the commission they are in no mood to give a tax rebate to a corporation right now.

Thus, Wachovia is probably laying low in hopes all of this will blow over and the commissioners will quietly raise the tax to pay for this project.

I am a realist meaning I don't believe anything without hard proof. However I did have a "dream" for lack of better word that this project might be a little taller than what was announced. I know metro is going to tell me to shut up and color but for some odd reason I can't help but wonder why the wait or secret. In my "dream" or tylenol PM induced halucination I saw a 1100ft tower being built with almost the identical features in the leaked rendering. The major difference was the there was a spire at the top. It was incorporated in the the bar but two other beams rose out of the slanted glass with two more beams rising out of the bar symetrically mid way connecting with the other two beams forming a triangle. In the middle was a 100ft spire. Yeah we all can dream can't we.........

Yeah we all can dream can't we.........

I say, leak this dream to the CBJ, they'll print it as fact and so it will be.

There is no way that the leaked information is correct, this secret is being kept for a reason. Please don't anyone try to argue it's city council waiting to vote on how to use the car rental tax for the arts funding. That has nothing to do with the fact a tower is being built OR that no rendering has been officially released.

There is a 80' deep hole on Tryon, and truck loads coming out everyday.

Wachovia isn't waiting on the vote to dig the hole for a foundation & parking garage, they already know what's going in the hole, they just won't tell. The drawing that was leaked was as vanilla & uninspirational as tighty whiteys.

There's def more than has met the eye to this story. Dream ON!!! I say 1100'.

You people are funny. 1100 feet tall? I hope you are right, but there is just no reason to think they will go that tall. Wachovia doesn't care about height as much as people on this board. They care about banking. In as much as they care about banking, they care about the amount of space they need in which to put bankers. It seems to me they have said they have crunched their numbers and need x amount of space over the coming years. They then have added a little bit more space in the tower to make so viable rental space to other organizations based on market needs.

But okay, since there really isn't anything concrete to refute it, let's just pretend it will be 1100'. I'm sure we'll all be just as happy with the 46 story building when they follow ncsc's dreams.

Archived