Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am excited about the arts deal going through. But we can expect a major slowdown and constant obstruction if the Republicans regain the majority on Mecklenburg County Commission in November. Bill James and Co consider anything art related to be "liberal" and "anti-family". :rolleyes:

Not all republicans feel this way...

Mr Thompson, a republican is building this tower and funding half of this. We get it.

I still don't think there is any risk that the republicans will take over and scuttle this plan. I think most voters intuitively get that this fairly low cost and provides a pretty big economic development jolt.

I tend to disagree with you on this. The CLT BofA tower looks great in the daylight when the sun catches it right and it is impressive at night. It is a matter of opinion, but I think if you read through the comments on this and other forums you will find that most think it is a stunning building.

Other than size, there isn't much you can say about the ATL BofA as it has about the same design to it as a Holiday Inn. And when they light it up at night it reminds me of a burning cigarette. IMO the best tower in Atlanta is the Westin Peachtree Center.

It's all a matter of opinion. I guess if I had to choose one it would be Charlotte's top but based on the photo above it still needs something, not sure what. Actually for looks in Atlanta, I think the King and Queen towers over on I-285 are the finest looking buildings in the city. NOt nearly as tall (570' I believe each) but impressive looking way out on the loop.

To the subject at hand, I look forward to finally seeing what Wachovia looks like when properly rendered.

Well the Mecklenburg County Commision has just voted to approve the rental car tax. There was only one person that spoke against the tax during the public hearing. So that means the Cultural Arts Plan is now a done deal. The best part was right after they approved the tax Bob Bertges showed a presentation of the Wachovia tower. A nice 3-D fly by animation of the tower. WOW!

OK, so maybe I was making up the part about the Wachovia tower rendering...but we'll see it soon enough :-)

I always hate the calm after the storm. I haven't heard any buzz about this project for a few days on any forums. I guess people have finally figured out that Wachovia is willing to make them squirm for entertainment. I can't wait for them pull the plans out for everybody, this thread is going to light up.

Personally, I believe they ARE revealing the plans. They have shown the siteplan and the renderings at the street level. Then, we have already had a front page story pointing a leaked rendering of the tower design on this very thread. What more are we waiting for?

Are people still holding out for Wachovia to announce the project to double in height or something?

Personally, I believe they ARE revealing the plans. They have shown the siteplan and the renderings at the street level. Then, we have already had a front page story pointing a leaked rendering of the tower design on this very thread. What more are we waiting for?

Are people still holding out for Wachovia to announce the project to double in height or something?

That was a handdrawn rendering that only showed one dimension, the side facing away from the stadium. It also made the tower much taller than suspected when compared to the towers surrounding. I'd rather see a full out digital rendering of both facilities with the Wachovia seal on them. Designs change, that could've just been a concept.

Random example, but the 05' Mustang Concept was a two seater. That a difference of a whole row and a couple feet. In car terms, that's a big difference. I'm no longer holding out for a significant height increase, I have coped with the fact that this won't be a new tallest for Charlotte. I wouldn't bet both towers will be exactly the same as what we've seen so far. I'm cool with the design thus far, so if I'm wrong, it doesn't really hurt anything.

Archived