Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

The believe the rezoning was approved and the development is on track.  We should have a new state of the art arena by 2025!  Ground will likely be broken by next year sometime.  We are excited about the project, but honestly, it should have been built downtown…the city just couldn’t pull it off.  This location is just a few miles from downtown (in Henrico), so it’s the next best thing. 

Here’s more information:

https://www.greencityva.com

That’s close enough. I’m getting a very NoVA vibe from this development both in style and scale. Hopefully more developments of this scope keep creeping down 95 (and 64 eventually, I can dream can’t I? :lol:).

• Like 4

Performance Foods to build a 2 million sq ft distribution center in Hanover at U.S. 1 and Cedar Lane. This comes on the heels of the announcement of development of a new, large industrial park about a mile or mile and a half up Route 1 - Northlake II. That area of Hanover is popping right now!

From the RTD:

https://richmond.com/business/performance-food-group-planning-to-build-80-2-million-distribution-center-in-hanover-replacing-an/article_771a7f26-1817-5cd2-9125-9caa45bf932f.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

From RBS:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/12/performance-food-group-plans-80m-distribution-center-near-ashland/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

The suburban push beyond 288 along the Midlo corridor continues. Glad to see some density is coming to this location and not just another cookie-cutter cul de sac single-family detached subdivision. Is it just me, or does this stretch at 288 & Midlo "feel" like W. Broad & 295 did about 20 or so years ago, when that area was primed to explode and ultimately did?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/11/final-phase-starts-on-70m-apartment-project-near-westchester-commons/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see how Henrico development is impacted by the country's forward-thinking move. This should facilitate growth and development in certain sections of the county that otherwise might not see rapid growth.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/16/henrico-program-extends-development-incentives-to-more-parts-of-county/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Hoping this initiative gives more attention towards the eastern part of the County without further destroying Civil War history.  

That would make the most sense, all the way around. I'm sure they're looking heavily in that direction - and keeping the Civil War battlefields in mind.

Many areas especially along New Market Road, Darbytown Road, Laburnum Road, along 895 and the I-64 /I-295 interchange saw many engagements during the Richmond Campaign of 1862 and Overland Campaign of 1864.  Large portions of these areas are privately owned.  Additional preservation such as limiting development in these areas would be great.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Many areas especially along New Market Road, Darbytown Road, Laburnum Road, along 895 and the I-64 /I-295 interchange saw many engagements during the Richmond Campaign of 1862 and Overland Campaign of 1864.  Large portions of these areas are privately owned.  Additional preservation such as limiting development in these areas would be great.

I wrenched my back climbing one of the cannon emplacements a couple of decades ago. Ugh... really cool, though, to see the berms and trenchwork, etc., now 166-ish years after the fact. I'm sure the county will safeguard these.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, wrldcoupe4 said:

This might be a CoStar goof up. They are marketing the outparcels for sale or lease. But maybe there was an issue and the buyer dropped it?

I reached out to the Richmond BizSense writer (they're all so great!) and he responded that the development is still "100 percent" on and they're just advertising a small lot near the road for a restaurant.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This is big news and has the opportunity to be a really transformative node for that area of the County. Very logical to extend the BRT to this/Reynolds Crossing. I think Henrico wants to see decent density here so hopefully the plans reflect that.

Yeah and hopefully something tall enough you can see when traveling down I-64. Need to have something there making a statement. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This is big news and has the opportunity to be a really transformative node for that area of the County. Very logical to extend the BRT to this/Reynolds Crossing. I think Henrico wants to see decent density here so hopefully the plans reflect that.

Agreed, Coupe. Plus - let's keep in mind there are a couple of proposed high-density apartment developments that have been announced for either on or just off of Broad Street within a stone's throw of this location - which combined with this effort will lend even more credence to the push to extend the PULSE line out to Reynolds Crossing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, I was tempted to put this in the Richmond International Airport thread only because I think there may be some sort of connection between the rezoning of this land (530 acres just a stone's throw and just across I-295 from the airport) and the 161 acres next to runway 34 on the airport's east side the airport is interested in buying.  There is also a mention of Amazon in this article, which alludes to Amazon being a possible user of this land (though not confirmed).  This, combined with rumors I've heard of Amazon's desire to move a cargo operation to the airport, I can't help but to think these two movements are somewhat related.  Anyway, it just makes things appear a bit more interesting...in a very good way.  I can't wait to find out what it is exactly, and find out all the details:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/13/developer-wants-to-rezone-530-acres-in-varina-for-2b-industrial-project/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

Should be interesting. This site is absolutely massive and has the big three in terms of transportation infrastructure, easy access to roads, rails and an airport. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a company like Amazon put a massive distribution facility here, seeing how Richmond is essentially a days drive from anywhere on the east coast.

• Like 3

I can see Amazon setting up a huge facility there as well. This has all sorts of potential and is a real win for RVA.

Oh - I couldn't help but notice in the story -- "... a Texas-based firm led by Ross Perot Jr.,"   ... I have no doubt there are plenty of us on here old enough to recognize that name - or, more accurately, who remember who his father was. :tw_wink:

Like I need anything else to make me feel old today :tw_joy:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I can see Amazon setting up a huge facility there as well. This has all sorts of potential and is a real win for RVA.

Oh - I couldn't help but notice in the story -- "... a Texas-based firm led by Ross Perot Jr.,"   ... I have no doubt there are plenty of us on here old enough to recognize that name - or, more accurately, who remember who his father was. :tw_wink:

Like I need anything else to make me feel old today :tw_joy:

Oh, I remember ole Ross Perot very well (so, I'll keep you company)!  I also know that he comes from a VERY wealthy family!  Awesome to see a prominent Texas company with very DEEP pockets investing in the RVA area.  

It's also good to see Varina being developed.  It is just so desolate on that side of town.  I can only imagine people who drive through Richmond via I-295 must be thinking that Richmond is a big nothing!  Also, from the air as you land at RIC on Runway 34, all you see is trees and no development for miles and miles (makes it seem like the airport is in the middle of nowhere).  Anyway, my point is that it will be nice to see some development in that area to give people the idea that Richmond is indeed open for business and people actually live here!  That area of town has the potential to be a HUGE tech hub with more neighborhoods and businesses sprouting up all over the place.  There's definitely plenty of room to expand!  That would be super awesome for RVA!

• Like 3