Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

9 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Southern Tier / Victory seem a little arbitrary to me. What is the context that suggests such large-scale national brewers leasing there?

EDIT: Context of this situation and those companies, not just the space itself?

Southern Tier and Victory are merging as a company called Artisanal Brewing Ventures. They will be Headquartered in Charlotte with a large scale brewery. Location has not yet been announced. We are speculating that this is the location. Their other brewing locations are between 60,000 and 210,000 sq feet. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

I got confirmation that a brewery has signed a lease for space in the old Kellogg building. I was not told who though and was told it was a secret for now.

I'm curious if it will be Southern Tier / Victory Brewings new HQ

I thought this was Catawba Brewing Co. establishing a Charlotte location? I honestly can't remember where I heard that, but I've thought it was a done deal for a while. They recently sponsored a home on the Plaza Midwood home tour in May and I assumed that was one of the reasons why. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

I thought this was Catawba Brewing Co. establishing a Charlotte location? I honestly can't remember where I heard that, but I've thought it was a done deal for a while. They recently sponsored a home on the Plaza Midwood home tour in May and I assumed that was one of the reasons why. 

Ah, very well could be. I was just speculating that it might be Artisinal (Victory + Southern Tier) since they are merging to form a very large company and this facility is equipped to handle large scale manufacturing.

I'm happy with any brewery in this location since it is a 5 minute walk from my house.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

No matter what brewery I hope Belmont is well braced for its pending rocketride of gentrification (to be reinforced by phase 2 of the streetcar)

Why would streetcar make a difference in Belmont? It stops a block or more from Belmont, and that's not even near where anyone in Belmont actually lives. Light rail is a closer walk for most Belmont residents than streetcar will be.

I see a lot of the dumpy houses non-historic homes in Belmont for sale right now. Have to imagine those will be demo'd and rebuilt soon.

Belmont will look completely different in 5 years. With everything going on around the corner of 10th and Seigle, I have to image the large property beside Piedmont Middle will sale soon. RED just put a new for for sale sign up on the property last week.

I completely agree that teardowns are 5-10 years away, but the presence of a brewery (and the associated businesses that will emerge around Central and Hawthorne thanks to improved accessibility from the streetcar) will finally make Belmont attractive to the Pioneers that will lead gentrification.

[my apologies for the use of the words finally and pioneer, both are insensitive to the displacement that will result from this change]

50 minutes ago, kermit said:

No matter what brewery I hope Belmont is well braced for its pending rocketride of gentrification (to be reinforced by phase 2 of the streetcar)

The Kellogg building is pretty far down the road for leasing to various folks including actor's theater.  I bet it is a small brewery and not a mega.

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

The Kellogg building is pretty far down the road for leasing to various folks including actor's theater.  I bet it is a small brewery and not a mega.

There are two buildings though, the mill and the warehouse.  Is it possible that the mill may be used for the other uses such as actor's theater and the warehouse to be used as a production brewery?  

18 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

There are two buildings though, the mill and the warehouse.  Is it possible that the mill may be used for the other uses such as actor's theater and the warehouse to be used as a production brewery?  

I was told the brewery was for the mill section. The mill section is massive and is barely used right now. Advent Coworking is the only tenant on the bottom floor of the mill at the moment. Codescape is upstairs.

Edited by Niner National

Joe's Doughs' grand opening was today, and the line was put the door all morning (I checked several times).

At noon I was in line and heard the owner and employees having a meeting on the patio saying "I don't know if we're going to have enough (supplies/ingredients) for today." 

I left when I realized the line wasn't moving. Hope this hype lasts for them!

They also are making incremental additions to the blank walls. 

20160618_121514.jpg

20160618_121218.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2016 at 1:22 PM, Niner National said:

I was told the brewery was for the mill section. The mill section is massive and is barely used right now. Advent Coworking is the only tenant on the bottom floor of the mill at the moment. Codescape is upstairs.

It seems to me that they have a pretty healthy leasing (or at least plans) for both the old mill and the newer warehouse.

20 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So not any major thing (that I know of), but this was hanging in front of the Fatback Queen on Pegram St. It has since been taken down, so I dunno. Maybe it's a new menu?

20160624_082732.jpg

19 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I am so glad you keep us up to date on/in Belmont

I hope they upgrade that air conditioner. I looks like it could cause Legionaries Disease.

I can't find the article online and doesn't see it discussed earlier in the thread, but in the paper edition of the Observer there was a snippet about Charlotte not tearing down anymore buildings in Belmont. 4 buildings bought by the city to be razed will be saved and sold to a developer for renovation. I thought this to be so un-Charlotte of Charlotte to do. Anybody know if this was a neighborhood fight that was won and how it could be repeated elsewhere in Charlotte? 

Edit: Sorry for the lack of source for reference. Unless you get the paper at home. I believe it was on 4A at the top.

Edited by 11 HouseBZ

The Belmont neighborhood has done a great job of not only being vigilant with updating their neighborhood plan that is adopted by residents, but also playing the game with local reps. They also have an extremely diverse turnout to all their meetings, which Patsy often attends.

The original city plan in 2003 Belmont Area Revitalization Plan called for razing the "outdated" commercial structures (that's seriously the word they used in the document), which was bolstered by CMPD in 2014, wanting the city to shut them down since they seemed to encourage the drug trades and theft at that corner. It's kind of crazy the City did this, considering the Farrar family owned that red brick building since they built it in 1938.

After voting 9-1 for this measure, Kinsey and Smith each had a comment:

Pasty Kinsey: "I also wanted to add my word of thanks to staff, to Todd DeLong [NBS], but also to the neighborhood. This is a real win, at one time I was afraid we'd lose these properties and tear 'em down, but I really appreciate staff working hard on this, and thanks to the Belmont neighborhood for working with us."

Kenny Smith: "I voted against this when we originally purchased it, I'm going to vote against it again tonight. I'm not sure we can buy enough areas in which crime occurs to rehabilitate [them all], that's the primary reason. And two, this just feels like the City is getting into the real estate speculation business, we really bought it to demolish it, now we're buying it to try to figure out a way to redevelop it with someone in the private sector, and I'm just not on board with it." 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I pray to god I can get a couple lots in the Belmont area soon. I hope to build a Duplex. Once the empty lots price out for 60k, duplexes don't really pencil in anymore. The zoning is nonsensical so that doesn't help.

This neighborhood has so much potential. Being slightly isolated between noda and PM, I like to think of it as being slow cooked while developers crap out apartments on central.

Edited by mazman34340