Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Cue the outrage.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article63886307.html

No retail planned on this site.  Warming up to the other self storage as long as it's done right with retail/offices.  This close to the city with 0 street presence is inexcusable.

They will cite 277 and Urban Ministries as reasons not to have any other uses, but they're missing the point, especially since it is 20 feet from the BLE

Edited by SgtCampsalot

While I oppose of all of the other storage developments on Central, 10th and W Morehead, I have no problem with this one. It's on a dead end street between a telecom hub that's not going anywhere and the train tracks, so it's a logical use for the site and doesn't disturb any potential growth. 

41 minutes ago, Prodev said:

While I oppose of all of the other storage developments on Central, 10th and W Morehead, I have no problem with this one. It's on a dead end street between a telecom hub that's not going anywhere and the train tracks, so it's a logical use for the site and doesn't disturb any potential growth. 

I've gotta say, the Hawthorne/Central project is going to be much appreciated, I saw them present to the neighborhood this week. They will moderately increase the amount of parking on the first two floors of the building, with the storage above, and then add retail along the lower-graded street level on Hawthorne. That back alley will be treated like a formal street. Eventually they'll probably add office space on top of Kickstand and Locos as well. It's the same owners who own Hawthorne Pizza in Elizabeth.

The 10th St project is meager, but will do good things at that corner, and even though it's wasting its view, it will allow an unobstructed view for the other three corners that are actually facing the skyline.

This one on College, I can be down with, I just feel they should make their ground floor to retail specifications so conversion is possible in the future. There's no way to know what will be needed in 15 years at the ONLY gateway into and out of Uptown on the north side.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Actor's Theater is going in the old Kellogg Factory.

http://wfae.org/post/actors-theatre-charlotte-finds-new-home-belmont-neigbhorhood

Article mentions a brewery and a restaurant coming to the facility as well.

That's amazing news! I always lamented the location of their current space. This new location is an area that will truly be able to act as a neighborhood hub.

• Like 1

Check out the rendering of the Storage places on Seigle. Now look at the skyline in the background. Its a Circa 2007, Urban Planet made Google Sketchup Rendering. HAH! So funny. It has Trump, and 600 N. Tryon, and One charlotte, it has everything. HAH.

Screen_Shot_2016-03-30_at_1.56.53_PM.png

44 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Wow, that's unique. They're building 10 for-rent single-family homes as well? I haven't seen a mixed-density, mixed-use design like that before outside of a greenfield development. Very interested to see more renderings of this.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

Wow, that's unique. They're building 10 for-rent single-family homes as well? I haven't seen a mixed-density, mixed-use design like that before outside of a greenfield development. Very interested to see more renderings of this.

I have renderings of it coming to me tonight, hopefully. 

• 1 month later...

This rezoning is a bit old, so Maybe I missed its discussion earlier http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-069.aspx

Looks like the first link in the Hunter Wrecker Property holding block has been broken by White Point Partners... Same folks that are working on the Highland park mill across Parkwood. 

16 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

This rezoning is a bit old, so Maybe I missed its discussion earlier http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-069.aspx

Looks like the first link in the Hunter Wrecker Property holding block has been broken by White Point Partners... Same folks that are working on the Highland park mill across Parkwood. 

!!! 0.83 acres!

I like the prospect of Hunter selling their land in pieces (even if they stay there as a business forever). Rare to see a parcel less than an acre.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Niner National said:

I got confirmation that a brewery has signed a lease for space in the old Kellogg building. I was not told who though and was told it was a secret for now.

I'm curious if it will be Southern Tier / Victory Brewings new HQ

I don't think it's even remotely out of the realm of possibility we see ST/V here

Just now, Jayvee said:

I don't think it's even remotely out of the realm of possibility we see ST/V here

That was my thought. It's a huge facility that is already set up to accommodate production and shipping on a large scale.

I hope with the theater (which btw, still hasn't hit their fundraising goal / signed a lease) and this brewery, we see some transformation to the exterior of the building and the surrounding property. It isn't very inviting in its current state.